Owledge

3D cinema - not so impressed

Recently I watched Men In Black 3D (Real3D) and I'm not that impressed. Sure, it's a nice feat of ingenuity to make it work with polarization filter glasses, but there are two things I would have expected to have been tweaked for 3D.

Maybe it's just the cinema I went to, though.

1) The glasses' tint lowers the light intensity. The 3D projector didn't have upgraded light intensity to compensate.

2) The 3D effect seems to be generated in half movie frame rate. During certain scenes and movements, there was a judder/stutter, like halved frame rate for the depth effect.

Also, since humans see the world in 3D anyway, the excitement faded quickly. I got used to it and barely noticed it's 3D. I find it nice, though, that it not only creats depth, but also occasionally makes things on the big screen move towards the viewer.

I've heard there's also a version of the technology with shutter glasses, and that seems to be the one where people are complaining about headaches.

What are your experiences with modern 3D cinema?

What are your experiences with modern 3D cinema?

I would recommend you go to IMAX 3D and see some documentaries shot specially for 3D like those:

The ultimate wave, Tahiti

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxhhFESq8xY

Hubble

Under the sea

Those were the movies that most impressed me.

The best artistic movie in 3D so far was Avatar. IMO/IME.

3D movies don't impress me much - Shania Twain. lol.

Now, seriously I think all 3D movies suck(the 3D part of them). But movie content keeps getting worse anyway. Especially when looking at what Adam Sandler is putting out.

Go check out avengers assemble in 3d, I thought it was reaaaally good due to the 3d. Perfect for an action flick.

I really really enjoyed AVATAR, and TRON for their cinematic experiences. Ive seen other 3D movies since and havent been impressed. This past weekend I saw PROMETHEUS and really enjoyed the experience and the movie. I thought it was the best, in terms of 3D tech, that I had seen. It seemed to work the best by NOT OVERDOING IT. Sometimes I forgot it was in 3D (in a good way) and the dimming effect seemed to be less noticeable. It was IMAX 3D.