Sign in to follow this  
ZhengTzu

Longevity Breathing

but what was the question? :D

My question has only been semi answered via search. I'm aware of / familiar with abdominal breathing, use it during meditation. I'm looking for the technique (steps) of reverse breathing, also know as Taoist breathing. Any help would be appreciated.

From my reading thus far, please correct me if I'm wrong.

During normal abdominal breathing the abdominal region is contacted during exhale and expanded on inhale.

During reverse abdominal breathing the abdominal region is contracted during inhale and expanded on exhale.

If you do decide to practice this breathing technique, take it slow, do not strain. I would only start out with a few (3 or so) minutes practice and build up from there.

As with any physical exercise, please consult a physician if your are not sure.

Zheng Tzu

Edited by ZhengTzu

During normal abdominal breathing the abdominal region is contacted during exhale and expanded on inhale.

During reverse abdominal breathing the abdominal region is contracted during inhale and expanded on exhale.

If you do decide to practice this breathing technique, take it slow, do not strain. I would only start out with a few (3 or so) minutes practice and build up from there.

As with any physical exercise, please consult a physician if your are not sure.

Zheng Tzu

What the front of the abdomen does is a lesser concern when juxtaposed with the diaphragm/psoas/perineum interaction. When beginning natural breath, we're taught to expand the belly but that's mostly to make sure the breathing isnt too chesty. In the natural breath the perineum stays relaxed on the inhale as the psoas/diaphragm descends; in reverse the perineum lifts (bridges, firms, many different descriptors there) as the psoas/diaphragm descends. Both breaths begin with the psoas/diaphragm descending - I mention the psoas first so as to stress the inferior posterior end of the diaphragm being where the descent should originate from. Doing so lets the diaphragm 'wave' upward and forward (='the descent of the diaphragm') in a smooth manner, limiting the amount of vagus nerve stimulation that tends to occur with a center-focus on the diaphragm as the inhale progresses - when it is too center focused, there is tension on the pulmonary ligament that connects the diaphragm to the lungs and runs right by the pericardium/heart. Combine that with letting go of the air passageways so that the olfactory nerve is not stimulated too much (which will feed back and stimulate the heart and lungs) and you have a solid foundation to quiet things down, but not too quickly...So when you root your breath down there you have less actual basis for the neural crosstalk that helps manifest random thought - "harnessing the thought-stream-energy." Its all interconnected. Practice until time disappears ;)

• Like 1

During normal abdominal breathing the abdominal region whole body is contacted 'shrinks'. 'closes' [towards dantian] during exhale and 'expands'. 'opens' on inhale.

During reverse abdominal breathing the abdominal region whole body is contracted 'shrinks'. 'closes' [towards dantian] during inhale and expanded relaxes on exhale.

And listen to Joeblast, never heard better descriptions regarding physical breathing on the forum.

The excessive focus on the abdominal wall movement being timed with the inhale and exhale can be just as bad for you as the "dreaded chest breathing.". Proper breathing is not about the abdomen, or any singular part of the body, but how the WHOLE repsonds to the breathing process.

Best,

• Like 1

Hi Zheng Tzu,

If you are serious about breathing work, and if you can afford it, you can buy Longevity Breathing DVD by BK Frantzis (www.energyarts.com).

I would work with that DVD for a while before dealing with reverse breathing etc..

It seems to me that it is important to have a good sensitivity to the process of physical breathing and to develop a whole body breathing ( as snowmonki underlines it) before playing with other tools.

We are free from what we come to know. If you don't know your nerves, fasciae, etc.. you will be limited by them and will reinforce bad unconscious breathing habits and end up with imbalances.

My 2cents

Take care

There are also some gentle forms of reverse breathing, maybe I shouldn't refer to them as reverse breath at all. In the Wudangtao (wudangtao.com) audios master Chen has you contracting your butt as you breath in, and relaxing as you breath out. It gives a bit of same energetic feel as reverse breathing, but seems easier and gentler because you're not reversing the abdomen.

Edited by thelerner

Yes, the extent of power manifested depends on the application, but the 'style' depends on what the mechanics are. Even though the front may be relatively calm in its Yang phase, the mechanics are of reverse. /\ :)

Edited by joeblast

Thanks to everyone for your comments and help. I plan on buying Longevity Breathing DVD by BK Frantzis as soon as I can.

Zheng Tzu

Sign in to follow this