Tibetan_Ice

Feels like Death -shamatha before bed

You need to look into the lucid dreaming or OBE forums.

You are entering altered states.

No big deal dude.

Hi Alwayson :)

Nope, I leave my body all the time, have visited many astral planes and learned all about that when I was a teenager.. Robert Monroe, Paul Twitchell ...

I don't even have to leave my body to astral project, I can just send my little marshmellow man, or even just punch through to the astral any time I want with sambhavi..

Also, 25 years ago I did a 3 1/2 hour meditation on the star above the crown and finally popped out of the top of my head. Ended up in a vast dark void with little faint stars in it. Felt like I was going to die. Quit. But a few years I overcame that fear and jumped in a few times..

No cigar. Try again..

:)

TI

Edited by Tibetan_Ice

Hi Alwayson :)

Nope, I leave my body all the time, have visited many astral planes and learned all about that when I was a teenager.. Robert Monroe, Paul Twitchell ...

I don't even have to leave my body to astral project, I can just send my little marshmellow man, or even just punch through to the astral any time I want..

No cigar. Try again..

TI

Right, but there is a difference between astral projection and a real time OBE

The latter has many more weird symptoms.

• Like 1

Right, but there is a difference between astral projection and a real time OBE

The latter has many more weird symptoms.

The first time I left my body was when I was 16. I was in a motorcylce accident during which I watched my body fly over a station wagon that I broadsided, from 40 or 50 feet away.. I would say that that was my first OBE..

TI

I'm 100% positive you were in a trance state conducive for real time zone OBE.

The racing heart beat. And you were doing this in bed.

Edited by alwayson

I'm 100% positive you were in a trance state conducive for real time zone OBE.

The racing heart beat. And you were doing this in bed.

Hi,

I was not in bed. I was sitting.. I even said so:

At first, I just sat and watched my thoughts without grasping and I noticed that there weren't that many. Then, I turned my attention to my breath and then started breathing in attentiveness, and totally relaxing the body on the exhales.

You know, I have had racing heart beat many times too.. Once, when I thought I was going to instantly combust (in 20 seconds of perfect posture and sambhavi).. I think the racing heart beat is a result of intense fear, not necessarily a precursor or identification of OBE..

Everyone has death hanging over them.

Better to accept it now and be free, than on your death bed.

The arising, duration and cessation shtick is not established in any way.

Dependently originated phenomena do not arise as existents in the first place.

Edited by alwayson

...........and bear in mind that it's impossible to find a happy medium.

...........and bear in mind that it's impossible to find a happy medium.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Happy-Medium-Psychic-Life/dp/1846043409/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352992535&sr=8-1

Young Colin here's pretty chipper but that said he nets upwards of ten-grand a gig clear.

Long short.

Back in the day when young Colin was starting out he pitched as a physical medium.

Lights out.

Is there anyone there? Asks young Colin who is not especially securely 'tied' into a chair.

Trumpets start floating about and touching siters on the head.

It's pitch dark.

One time in Norfolk (I was there).

Some cheeky sod turned the lights on half way through the seance.

Colin is stodd in the middle of the room holding a trumpet and looking p;retty sheepish.

he stopped working as a physical medium after that.

Topm class mental medium and packs em in to theatres at upwards of thirty quid a ticket all over the English speaking diaspora.

I am familiar with what you describe Tibetan_Ice. Indeed leading up to nirvikalpa samadhi is a death like experience. You're on the right track. Keep going.

I was a Hindu monk for a few years and I'm glad you found in your research what Sivaya Subramuniyaswami said about nirvikalpa samadhi. He also says a few more things about it in a different section of the book that I think you would find interesting.

Here's a link and the quote.

http://ebooks.gutenberg.us/HimalayanAcademy/SacredHinduLiterature/mws/mws_ch-52.html

"Many people think of the realization of timeless, formless, spaceless Parasiva, nirvikalpa samadhi, as the most blissful of all blissful states, the opening of the heavens, the descent of the Gods, as a moment of supreme, sublime joyousness; whereas I have found it to be more like cut glass, diamond-dust darshan, a psychic surgery, not a blissful experience at all, but really a kind of near-death experience resulting in total transformation. The bliss that is often taught as a final attainment is actually another attainment, Satchidananda, an aftermath of nirvikalpa samadhi, and a "before-math." This means that Satchidananda, savikalpa samadhi, may be attained early on by souls pure in heart. It also means that one need not gauge the highest attainment on the basis of bliss, which it transcends."

There is a bit more on that page if you're interested.

When you begin to touch into this, as you are. Coming to the brink of nirvikalpa. There can be many physical symptoms that come along with it as an aftermath. Of course these may not apply to you, since everyone is different. And over the course of my spiritual practices I have experienced many bizarre physical symptoms after coming out of deep meditation. Most likely the burning up of certain vasanas. I get bad headaches and my body has a difficult time getting warm. My hands and feet become ice cold. No hot showers or warm food or heating warms me up. It took 2.5 hours the other day to "return to normal".

The reason for this is because as you meditate and your going into nirvikalpa. The energy/heat within your body begins to withdraw into the top of the head. Until eventually one is absorbed and the energy completely leaves through the top of ones head.

I was taught this as a monk to withdraw this energy consciously but it happens naturally when someone is going deeper. I observe this in my meditations and can feel my extremeties becoming colder and colder. Then I come to a point where my sense of self begins to feel like it is dissolving. Not in a blissful this is wonderful way how most people think of it. Because in order to experience bliss there must be an experiencer. Nirvikalpa is when the experiencer is dissolved temporarily. When someone first begins to touch into this but not fully absorbed. There can be a degree of fear that arises. You realize this is a lot more real than I thought, ha. Your sense of self no longer has any footing. Nothing to grab on to and feel safe and secure. Even the mind uses the higher experiences of bliss to identify and hold onto. It is quite difficult for most to go beyond these wonderful experiences. I have noticed that the ego uses everything in its power to stop you from going any deeper. But everytime you go back to that edge, there will be less and less fear until one day. Awareness disappears. No more identity, no mind, no universe, no earth, no people, no higher energies, no deities, no bliss, no experience.

• Like 2