Sifu ReL

BaGua Help

my questions is ...

does anyone have a manual for circle walking....ive been doing it but my upper body is wrong i need to hand forms and any techniques i can get...i cant afford a Teacher so please just tell me what you know!!

Give it up, without a teacher no chance and with a teacher some practitioners still miss the whole thing. This is a very difficult art to learn properly. But here are the main mother palms until you find a teacher, if there is a will there is a way you can afford a teacher. You need to find a teacher or your form will become an empty shell:

"Without Neigong all Bagua techniques are good for nothing and there is no use to practice them. For this reason I'm not willing to teach any techniques to students who do not have Internal Skill - it's waste of time for them and me."

Neigong comes from a very detailed way of performing the movements, lots of details that are easily missed if someone practices without a teacher until one becomes proficient at it, like second nature.

Good luck.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3

Practice the circle walking as taught in "The Great Stillness" by B.K. Frantzis. Just keep hands to your side as if you were standing.

For more refined teachings on the internal components, look at "Relaxing Into Your Being" and "Relaxing Into Your Being".

Yeah, it's all the basics. But if you don't know the basics, you aren't gonna get anywhere.

• Like 1

Yes but that's only one component, BGZ has got a large number of requirements (36 songs), one being missed the rest will fail. That is lots of details must be carefully followed and worked upon. Then you become one large fluid tendon with numerous openings connected to the whole Universe, like a wormhole. A tree connected to earth and stretched up all the way to heaven! :)

Yes but that's only one component, BGZ has got a large number of requirements (36 songs), one being missed the rest will fail. That is lots of details must be carefully followed and worked upon. Then you become one large fluid tendon with numerous openings connected to the whole Universe, like a wormhole. A tree connected to earth and stretched up all the way to heaven! smile.gif

smile.gif " to persist is to have inspiration"

chapter 33. ttc

a walking/talking tree no less.

smile.gif " to persist is to have inspiration"

chapter 33. ttc

a walking/talking tree no less.

Spend time looking at trees and respectfully asking for their help.

Even with expert instruction, it was a tree that taught me how to stand and walk the circle...

• Like 1

lolz thats funny some of you said "give up", but thanks to someone who read this, and is now my teacher ive mastered straight walking in just 3 months.....

• Like 2

sounds good sifu rel, stick with it . i wouldnt be too concerned about time frames or "mastering" anything.

enjoy and savor the experience for the sake of the experience.

• Like 1

sounds good sifu rel, stick with it . i wouldnt be too concerned about time frames or "mastering" anything.

enjoy and savor the experience for the sake of the experience.

lolz i know trust mean time is not a factor, my teacher talkin bout i need to get to 3k circle walks around a tree both ways every day.....lolz ima take me time getting to 100 a day.

no sense if i walk 3k times in wrong form/posture/stance

Kent howard on turning the circle ala Wang Shujin! ONe super important exercise herein. If one follows this to a tee, your stepping will at least have the proper foundation!

From Lao Xie of DGS. Really say alot if you listen.

Edited by jaysahnztao

I agree that one needs a teacher. The details one must be aware of are extremely numerous and often quite subtle. It is all too easy to think you are doing it right, or even think you are doing it very well, when in fact you are way off the mark. There is also the problem that in many if not most videos online the teachers and students you see are just walking in a circle, not walking _the_ circle. Studying their videos may lead you astray--don't think that just because you feel very good or even meditative after walking in a circle that what you are doing is going to help you learn baguazhang. One can can enter deep relaxation from walking in a circle in many manners which are simply not baguazhang. All of the above I say from experience.

Mastery in three months? As likely as finding a unicorn's horn, but I won't say impossible.

Rest in peace Mike Martello, a very small person but with big accomplishment in the internal martial arts. A month before he died he showed me he's laojia yi lu (Chen style) here in Antwerp .. deep and powerfull stances, relaxed, agile and peng everywhere. Impressive is all i can say. The good ones die young :(

Edited by minkus
  • Like 1

It wasnt hard for me to learn bagua , cuz of my nei gong experience...i think gerard is thw one who said something about not teaching anyone wit no internal skill.... In a way he's right, it would of been alot harder to learn internal art wit out internal skill.

but i encourage all not to give up even if they dnt have a teacher.

Keep in mind Tung Hai Chuan never taught the baguazhang (then rotating palms, i think) to any beginners. In fact he only chose Masters.

My point being is if you already have a foundation in martial arts you will learn and understand quicker.

I must agree about the nuances and subtleties, but one's main time of learning IMO is the time spent alone, perhaps in a forest walking around some tree or trees.

Playing the baguazhang is like driving a carriage. The teacher can only tell us where to go in the carriage, he can not drive it for us. Driving alone one can either go in circles or carefully explore new territory. (first metaphor that came to mind)

Edited by spiraltao
  • Like 2

Can u explain "we were trees, once long ago" a bit better, don't mean to go off topic, but I can feel my connection to my practice area, which much to DISMAY, (I actually cried) is getting cut down, logged out, whatever it is called, which is another way to say destroying the wood's life force.

I swear I could barely sleep last night for thinking of the poor trees that got destroyed. :(

What is really strange is that apparently, bagua movements are so un-natural that one should train for a long time with a good teacher to be able to practice.

Usually, when something is not natural, it is not even daoist...