Wayfarer

Turning Invisible

Hi folks,

I have been having some very deep discussions in the Buddhist section of late and thought I would change tact by offering something a little light-hearted that I discovered while watching nature and understanding true-nature. Try it out, see what you think and I'd love to know what experiences you've had or whether there are other methods too.

Heath

TURNING INVISIBLE

There are a number of Taoist books that either describe someone turning invisible or mention it is possible. Well I think I know what it means in a slightly less literal sense so here goes...

If we take Man out of the equation for a moment, the rest of nature has a way of being. Everywhere you might look you may notice animals and plants being in this way. Whether moving or motionless they have at their heart a settled presence (expressed as a deep stillness/settled quality) which as I have said before is (for me) the Presence of Tao/God/True-Self.

To move and act with this Presence at their heart and at the core of their actions animals, wildlife and plants subsequently express a single energy. This is why, if you have ever walked in a wood and startled a deer (or something) you tend not to notice it until it has moved/bolted - which is the moment it raises its energy). Until that point you had not seen it - because its energy level, or how it is present is the same as everything that surrounds it, its presence went unnoticed. For us to do the same is more difficult but not impossible.

Our energy is unsettled as we are distracted by the world around us, our state of peace lies not within but in our interaction and connection with the world around us - until we notice our True-Nature. If we can become quiet and settle our energy so that it sinks to our stomach/solar plexus and below and when our mind begins to quieten we also begin to fade. I do not mean that if someone was staring at you, you would fade but that your energy becomes the same as that surrounding you so you become less noticed. Try in a club with a busy bar, if you match your energy to that of the bar (not the people) but the fixtures and fittings (I need to get out more lol) then you will not get served!

Hope this has given you something to think about!

Edited by Wayfarer
  • Like 6

Well I think I know what it means in a slightly less literal sense so here goes...

I do not mean that if someone was staring at you, you would fade...

In opening the Dragon's Gate, the three masters disappeared right before Wang Liping's eyes.

Just sayin'.

Maybe they synched their energy so well that it even affected physical sight?

Not to say this little exercise isn't good and/or fun and/or useful. I'm just saying that people out there, recent people associated with lineages that are in turn associated with classic descriptions and teachings, are being pretty dang literal about it.

Or so it appears to this reader. Maybe the original Chinese has a slightly different connotation.

For your own interest:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/hecker/wheel263.html#ch7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siddhi

Very serious meditation is required to attain most of those siddhis. I am not taking about 1/2h a day but many hours a day in a retreat-like environment. Good karma and high level of purification of all internal organs and chakras is also required.

In the end, siddhis are of little importance, once you attain high level you tend to ignore them, look at them and say to yourself: so what? Is all of this genie stuff going to help me attain liberation? They are a good measure of serious spiritual progress, so welcome they are for that purpose that is, but nothing further.

I have attained several of those siddhis and honestly I still have to work, pay for my grocery bills, rent and utilities and look after this decaying body. The devas are not going to pay for any of this stuff. :lol:

Pay little attention to magic tricks.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 5

Hi folks,

I have been having some very deep discussions in the Buddhist section of late and thought I would change tact by offering something a little light-hearted that I discovered while watching nature and understanding true-nature. Try it out, see what you think and I'd love to know what experiences you've had or whether there are other methods too.

Heath

TURNING INVISIBLE

There are a number of Taoist books that either describe someone turning invisible or mention it is possible. Well I think I know what it means in a slightly less literal sense so here goes...

If we take Man out of the equation for a moment, the rest of nature has a way of being. Everywhere you might look you may notice animals and plants being in this way. Whether moving or motionless they have at their heart a settled presence (expressed as a deep stillness/settled quality) which as I have said before is (for me) the Presence of Tao/God/True-Self.

To move and act with this Presence at their heart and at the core of their actions animals, wildlife and plants subsequently express a single energy. This is why, if you have ever walked in a wood and startled a deer (or something) you tend not to notice it until it has moved/bolted - which is the moment it raises its energy). Until that point you had not seen it - because its energy level, or how it is present is the same as everything that surrounds it, its presence went unnoticed. For us to do the same is more difficult but not impossible.

Hope this has given you something to think about!

I have spent a good deal of time in the woods,

unafraid animals jump about,

make noises ,

kill each other

Trip on things

fall out of trees etc

But nature has no questions that go unanswered

maybe that self satisfied state describes your experience.

Stosh

• Like 1

If you want to do magic tricks, then you're on the wrong forum. You need to join a magician's forum.

Countless spiritual paths warn about the abuse of psychic powers and the addiction to them. Better to be a heroin addict because that will only last a single lifetime, whereas psychic addiction can roll on for countless lifetimes.

Psychic powers are materialistic in nature. This is not the path and not the point of any genuine spiritual tradition.

If you want to do magic tricks, then you're on the wrong forum. You need to join a magician's forum.

Countless spiritual paths warn about the abuse of psychic powers and the addiction to them. Better to be a heroin addict because that will only last a single lifetime, whereas psychic addiction can roll on for countless lifetimes.

Psychic powers are materialistic in nature. This is not the path and not the point of any genuine spiritual tradition.

Hi thanks for the response, I assume you refer to my original post, if not ignore this message. No magic here or psychic powers and although you may feel invisibility is not the path...not being noticed is very much a consequence of being on the path - in fact it is central to the path, it is what Taoism is about - stepping in line with the way of the nameless, the Tao.

When we do so we become like the presence of Nature, our original grace and blend with it therefore realising what we are, what most of us haven't yet. It is the central point to all religions and spiritual traditions - awakening to God/Tao/the Nameless and how it is expressed in the world around and within us. As people, we are mostly ignorant of what is holy and unawake to it, we live in a way that is out of step with its nature and therefore disturb ourselves and nature. A sage would not. A mystic would be calm and still for this is the expression of Tao. Once Noticed, anger and movement is also Tao but emotions and attachments do not occur so anger does not happen. Once this is known, life is not as once thought - there are no 'lifetimes' hence why Taoists talk of Immortals and why the Gospels said that "he who understands will not die."

Hope this helps. Keep off the drugs though!

• Like 1

Glen Morris's book 'Path notes of ..' talks about invisibility. After reading it I found if I was in a darkened room, stared at myself in a mirror, stopped thinking and let my eyes either defocus or 'wide' focus I'd disappear from the mirror, but if I let that startle me, I'd reappear. I don't think its a siddhi, I'm sure other people would be able to see me, it may be a trick of the eye or human software. Or it might be playing with the aura, darkening it.

He mentioned the ability goes further then that (and gives a few anecdotes), but I don't think it allows you to be an invisible person, but at certain times, with certain (dark) conditions, it can keep you from being noticed.

Edited by thelerner

Hi thanks for the response, I assume you refer to my original post, if not ignore this message. No magic here or psychic powers and although you may feel invisibility is not the path...not being noticed is very much a consequence of being on the path - in fact it is central to the path, it is what Taoism is about - stepping in line with the way of the nameless, the Tao.

When we do so we become like the presence of Nature, our original grace and blend with it therefore realising what we are, what most of us haven't yet. It is the central point to all religions and spiritual traditions - awakening to God/Tao/the Nameless and how it is expressed in the world around and within us. As people, we are mostly ignorant of what is holy and unawake to it, we live in a way that is out of step with its nature and therefore disturb ourselves and nature. A sage would not. A mystic would be calm and still for this is the expression of Tao. Once Noticed, anger and movement is also Tao but emotions and attachments do not occur so anger does not happen. Once this is known, life is not as once thought - there are no 'lifetimes' hence why Taoists talk of Immortals and why the Gospels said that "he who understands will not die."

Ah, I see what you are saying now. Yeah, I thought you were talking about the abuse of psychic powers. I just shook my head.

I'm still mostly learning about spirituality, but I know enough to know that psychic powers are a false materialistic path.

Keep off the drugs though!

How did you know? :lol:

Edited by Subtle

I was intentionally ignoring this thread until this morning.

Wayfarer, excellent opening post.

And yes, Chuang Tzu spoke to this concept. If we can become 'one' with our surrondings we will indeed become invisible. We can travel anywhere in the world and never be seen, never upset or cause anyone to take notice of us.

Indeed, if we do not present ourself as a threat to others, including all living essences, we can pass by unnoticed - we are invisible.

Indeed, if we do not present ourself as a threat to others, including all living essences, we can pass by unnoticed - we are invisible.

Dude , you arent presenting yourself as a threat in this post , but it aint invisible either.

Equating unnoticed with invisble is a false equation.

Invisible means that even if it was looked for ,it would be unseeable, in vernacular speech.

Sure ,sometimes a person can pass 'below the radar',

but a person can still represent a threat from a hidden position as well.

Its just a false equation.

Like I said earlier, animals arent in the business of hiding

unless they are in fear (or are presenting a surprise attack).

The dude shouldnt skulk about like a frightened or hostile animal

(unless he is a frightened animal, or is about to strike..then it would be appropriate)

Doing such as a habit would put folks off, and in so doing one would be self defeating.

Dont believe that, try sneaking around, and see how popular that is.

There is a very clear point in the TTC and that is social relationships are one of the most important aspects to finding personal peace.

Dont act like a countertop.

Stosh

Edited by Stosh

Equating unnoticed with invisble is a false equation.

Invisible means that even if it was looked for ,it would be unseeable, in vernacular speech.

See? That's why I waited so long before posting. Anything that is manifest cannot be invisible (totally). Just the way life is.

"To make invisible" is an invalid concept.

"To go unnoticed" is a valid concept.

I don't do magic and don't trust anyone who says they can.

• Like 1

See? That's why I waited so long before posting. Anything that is manifest cannot be invisible (totally). Just the way life is.

"To make invisible" is an invalid concept.

"To go unnoticed" is a valid concept.

I don't do magic and don't trust anyone who says they can.

Your patience is a virtue I need to cultivate. :)

Id rather someone else said this stuff.

I cause myself enough grief

Stosh

Your patience is a virtue I need to cultivate. :)

Id rather someone else said this stuff.

I cause myself enough grief

Stosh

Hey, you are doing fine. Many of us are here in order to have others challenge our beliefs. I am one of those. (At least that is one of the reasons I remain active in many of the threads, especially the Taoist and philosophical threads.)

And yes, although I don't have very many virtues, patience is one that I do have.

No worry about what you said. The best way to test our thoughts is to put them out for others to consider and make comment to.

Please just keep being yourself and feel free to challenge anything I say whenever you wish. I do enjoy seeing if someone else can cause me to modify my understandings.

I do enjoy seeing if someone else can cause me to modify my understandings.

Thats a rare attitude!

I am serious though , I have gotten too involved with the threads

Its like throwing sticks for a dog , he runs after it.

I finally read a book that clarified where other folks were coming from

I guess it was the essence of what I wanted to know.

I really feel pretty well answered and satisfied

Except for one thing, which I dont want to elaborate on,

because I dont want to interfere with it.

There are other virtues listed in the hua hu ching

but I sat and considered just the 'moderation'strategy alone that you mentioned

it is actually, taken to a thorough degree, a quite reasonable overall

attitude to have.

My rule goes like this ..

Move unerringly toward my own peace,

rather than generate and perpetuate

the paradigms of my own discontent.

If I could make a habit of that , Then I would have the thing embraced.

Stosh

Hi Stosh. I like your rule. :) And it shows in your posts. A nice flowing quality have you.

Just curious. How successful are you at the unerring part?

Probably close to not at all :(:) :)

Its just an elusive dream.

In fact I debated whether to put that word in

The sentiment was that if you aim for something and continually miss

,,you end up orbiting :wacko:

but if you think I should remove it I will

Thanks for the nice words

Stosh

Edited by Stosh

I have gotten too involved with the threads

Its like throwing sticks for a dog , he runs after it.

Yeah, we need be cautious so that we do not get too personally, and especially emotionally, invloved in the threads we post to.

My rule goes like this ..

Move unerringly toward my own peace,

rather than generate and perpetuate

the paradigms of my own discontent.

If I could make a habit of that , Then I would have the thing embraced.

Stosh

I read the later posts so I will take that with a grain of salt.

But sure, our inner peace is important. We may live in a part of the world where there is total chaos but if we can hold to our inner peace we can be one with even chaos.

And I will confess that in my 'real' life I bitch a lot but nearly all the things I bitch about I can do absolutely nothing about and I would be much better off if I didn't let those things bother me.

Yeah, we need be cautious so that we do not get too personally, and especially emotionally, invloved in the threads we post to.

I read the later posts so I will take that with a grain of salt.

But sure, our inner peace is important. We may live in a part of the world where there is total chaos but if we can hold to our inner peace we can be one with even chaos.

And I will confess that in my 'real' life I bitch a lot but nearly all the things I bitch about I can do absolutely nothing about and I would be much better off if I didn't let those things bother me.

Do you mean that later post

where a person , (me), to the shock of all

admits he is fallible, though he knows better?

Like I think I said way back,,

Its far easier to learn a deep difficult thing and abandon it

Than it is to learn an easy simple thing and keep to it.

Don't add salt unless it improves the taste. :)

Its supposed to stand on its own regardless of meagre me!

If my mom told me to 'play nice', mind my manners,

And if somebody else told me not to act like an idiot,

or advised me to chill out,

wouldnt it be as wise as when Lao tzu might have said such a thing?

I think it is.

About bitching at stuff beyond your control,

I didnt see anywhere in the ttc any direct reference to that habit

or the peeing on ones hands thing, so

some stuff is left to personal discretion :)

You told me about treating the manifest world as a straw dog,,,

Not a bad idea if you can keep it going..

but the real world has a great deal of power to influence us

we are just geared for for it to do just that!

If it didn't, we would fall out of touch and fail ourselves in it.

Anyway,,

If its really much of a disturbance to you

( the internal dialog of complaint)

AND you wanted some know it all to point out to you what you already know,,

Ill volunteer for that.

Stop it.

Pick one..

You allow it to bother you because you think

That it makes some sort of difference in the outcome

in some karmic way ( which it doesnt )

OR

that your upset indicates your dedication and concern

( which it does, but since it isnt effective,,,just who is it you think you are impressing? -Not me.)

Or

you have a backwards idea that the habit is an example of "blowing off steam"

(Which it isnt , it just fuels the fire the more you dwell on it)

OR

you are frustrated that you could work things better if you had the power to.

(which could be true, but do you want the whole world as your personal responsibility?)

If I didnt put my finger on the issue or close to it I would be surprised.

Speaking figuratively,

There are enough demons for each of us to have our very own.

Name your personal 'demons' , and let them go.

( sometimes they hang around but they usually get the idea after a bit)

Two of mine ?

Bulldog and Blabbermouth , They are hanging around less lately ,

I only see them about once a week now.

It takes time, there are no miracles that ever happen.

Stosh

Edited by Stosh

If I didnt put my finger on the issue or close to it I would be surprised.

Oh, you touched it very gentle with those little fingers of yours. Hehehe.

'Later posts' I was referring to between you and Rainbow.

I was especially referring to this: "Probably close to not at all."

I think you are a lot closer than you indicate.

Yeah, the problems of the world, the problems (my perspective) with politics, the problems with the greedy; all these bother me. I do what I can but have no power to change anything.

Tenacity. Nice word. Nice concept too - as long as we are secure in our path. But then, tenacity limits spontaneity so we have to choose between the two sometimes.

Anyhow, back to becoming invisible.

Tenacity. Nice word. Nice concept too - as long as we are secure in our path. But then, tenacity limits spontaneity so we have to choose between the two sometimes.

Anyhow, back to becoming invisible.

Try certain instead.

I go back to the ether from whence I came!

'Poof'

Nah, no "shoulding" on yourself. ^_^ Just be you. The perfectly imperfect perfection of you. :D

Nice owl. :wub:

Thanks ..osprey though

Unfortunately injured flying into an invisible wire.

Stosh

Hehehe.

Yeah, we all must return one day.

Hey!, then we become invisible!

Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.

:)

Sorry to hear about the lil' tyke. Ospreys. Don't know much about them.

You (or someone) taking care of him? :huh:

The parks guys called somebody to pick him up.

He had some blood by his left nostril and wasnt moving around well

but he looked Ok , maybe a cracked rib

Birds can be tough critters

I see them charge into trees and things often enough.

( and yes little tike ! juvenile plumage)

Stosh

Edited by Stosh

Hi everyone, I apologise. I didn't mean to stress anyone or appear gimmicky just that I wondered if this is what the ancients meant when they said we turn invisible. I don't encourage skulking around woods LOL. If something was at the same energy level as everything else we wouldn't see it either so it can't turn invisible but for sure can go unnoticed. That's all.

I agree also that being on a forum can feel stressful at times as you can feel you need to justify your point or show people the 'error' of their ways etc bit hopefully overall it all comes good.

Happy cultivating. I'm going to be away for a few weeks so leave you in peace.

H.