Hi Bums,

I am fairly new to cultivating and I was wondering if someone could point me to the best practices for building up your Lower Dan Tien. I am struggling a little to navigate the forum and was just hoping to get some direction. My goal is to just increase my overall energy and start a very strong base for building upon.

Thanks a ton,

theNERD

Hi Bums,

I am fairly new to cultivating and I was wondering if someone could point me to the best practices for building up your Lower Dan Tien. I am struggling a little to navigate the forum and was just hoping to get some direction. My goal is to just increase my overall energy and start a very strong base for building upon.

Thanks a ton,

theNERD

Take up taiji chuan

• Like 2

Michael Lomax, a lineage teacher of Stillness Movement neigong is a member of this forum and his user name is 'Ya Mu'. Stillness Movement neigong is a highly effective method of cultivation-one of the most effective and powerful I have encountered in more than 20 years of looking.

I started a thread a while back on it here:

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/15225-stillness-movement-neigong-and-michael-lomaxs-light-warriors-guide-book/page__hl__stillness%20movement

Some information about the medical side of what Michael does. There are lots of examples of the effectiveness and power of the training. In particular, also have a read of 'Kempomaster's' posts. He has been practicing a few years, and demonstrates what can be achieved with a bit of dedicated practice:

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/7783-chinese-taoist-medicine-stillness-movement-medical-qigong/

Stillness Movement very specifically builds the dantien, in a quick and powerful manner.

Michaels website: www.qigongamerica.com

• Like 6

Hi Bums,

Thanks a ton,

theNERD

Pick up a copy of the ymaa embryonic breathing book in addition to whatever you wind up choosing, the book is *that* good.

Hi Bums,

I am fairly new to cultivating and I was wondering if (1)someone could point me to the best practices for building up your Lower Dan Tien. I am struggling a little to navigate the forum and was just hoping to get some direction. My goal is to just (2)increase my overall energy and start a very strong base for building upon.

Thanks a ton,

theNERD

Do you know what you are asking....???

(1) Do you what Lower Dan Tien is...??? It is your abdomen.

(2) To increase your over energy level, you can practice almost any type of Chi Kung. Like Tai Ji, somebody already had suggested. Tai Ji is the best for anyone because it involves slow movements to enhance your body coordination with the mind. At the same time, your breathing also kicks in spontaneously which is a form of Chi Kung. It is a matter of time and patience to put into the practice diligently. Indeed, you will expect a rewarding experience and result...:)

Thank you so much for all of the replies, I am truly grateful. This is clearly a wonderful forum and am excited to become an active member of it. I think I am going to go with the embryonic breathing because I have been spending most of my time during the day practicing abdominal breathing and this seems to be a good start for embryonic breathing. But my decision is not set in stone.. If you have any other recommendations let me know.

Thanks a ton!

theNERD

I think I am going to go with the embryonic breathing because I have been spending most of my time during the day practicing abdominal breathing and this seems to be a good start for embryonic breathing. But my decision is not set in stone.. If you have any other recommendations let me know.

Thanks a ton!

theNERD

If you know how to do abdominal breathing, then you are almost there. Whatever you call it is immaterial.....:)

I am fairly new to cultivating and I was wondering if someone could point me to the best practices for building up your Lower Dan Tien.

I wrote a longer post, but it was waffle. Let me sum it up, and if you want additional explanation PM me.

Breathing is breathing, breathing is great.

Building and storing qi in the dantian, is building and storing qi in the dantian, which is also great.

pre-heaven 'qi' is not the same thing in Daoist practice as post-heaven 'qi'. Post-heaven 'qi' is considered 'air' or 'breath'.

Chen qi dantian (sink qi to dantian) therefore will mean something different depending on the practice. Chen qi dantian is usually a prerequisite but is not the same thing as 蓄 xu 'storing'.

Jingdonggong (stillness-movement), as taught by Ya Mu, is the most accesible no-nonsense approach to developing and storing with the dantian I have practised.

Bruce Frantzis' method I have never seen publically described and while not complex in the grand scheme of things, feels complex, at least when compared to jingdonggong.

While I like the heart of Yang's "Embryonic breathing" I dislike the presentation and the explanation. I wonder what learning from him in person would be like? Hopefully far less convoluted.

Best,

Edited by snowmonki
  • Like 1

While I like the heart of Yang's "Embryonic breathing" I dislike the presentation and the explanation. I wonder what learning from him in person would be like? Hopefully far less convoluted.

Hi again snowmonki,

I have read the long post before it disappeared :lol: and it would be very interesting to know what "holes" have you found in Yang's EB?

Thanks,

• Like 2

Hi again snowmonki,

I have read the long post before it disappeared :lol: and it would be very interesting to know what "holes" have you found in Yang's EB?

Thanks,

Touche hahaha :lol:

I honestly cannot recall how I put my original comment (I have been thinking on how to answer your other question). I write in a 'stream of consciousness' way and then re-read and edit to try to make sure it makes sense, I hit 'post' rather than 'preview' and there are various reasons why I did not keep the post. As I said, I dislike the presentation of the process Yang lays out. And feel the book is overly and unnecessarily convoluted.

Best,

• Like 1

Touche hahaha :lol:

I honestly cannot recall how I put my original comment (I have been thinking on how to answer your other question). I write in a 'stream of consciousness' way and then re-read and edit to try to make sure it makes sense, I hit 'post' rather than 'preview' and there are various reasons why I did not keep the post. As I said, I dislike the presentation of the process Yang lays out. And feel the book is overly and unnecessarily convoluted.

Best,

Thanks for your answer.

You will find me fussy, but you wrote "holes" regarding Yang's EB method. I understood that there were, in your opinion, some lacks in his method,and not just a presentation problem or it being an overely sophisticated path. So I was curious about what you had in mind. Perhaps I put in the the "holes" more than they could contain :lol:

Thanks anyway

• Like 1

Thanks for your answer.

You will find me fussy, but you wrote "holes" regarding Yang's EB method... So I was curious about what you had in mind. Perhaps I put in the the "holes" more than they could contain :lol:

Thanks anyway

Not fussy at all. Did you save what I wrote? I honestly can't recall what had come to mind while writing in that moment, you've made ME curious now too!!! haha. If I get the chance I'll review the method and see what comes to mind. I won't be near my copy of the book for a week or thereabouts.

Best,

A couple people I know have noted.its mostly the college textbook like presentation that is slightly off-putting, sorta like...lots of signposts and its apretty much up to you to put the pieces together.

Not fussy at all. Did you save what I wrote?

Yes! I saw it before it disappeared :D and you did wrote that you had found holes in Yang's EB method. So you too find that this word is very intriguing.. you are right,let your mind at rest with it, some rabbit may loom up from the hole :lol: in the end,

Be well,

Edit: I suspect that when people hit "preview" before posting, the message actually appears in the board.That may explain why I saw your long post.

Edited by bubbles

pre-heaven 'qi' is not the same thing in Daoist practice as post-heaven 'qi'. Post-heaven 'qi' is considered 'air' or 'breath'.

Jingdonggong (stillness-movement), as taught by Ya Mu, is the most accesible no-nonsense approach to developing and storing with the dantian I have practised.

Would you share your experience on the relationship between the pre/post heaven qi distinction and jingdonggong?

"You might also consider simply starting off with a form of zhan zhuang, and perhaps then a shaking practice, to help clear your channels and meridians first - before specifically focusing on storing qi into your dantian."

Thanks vortex

I have been doing Zhan Zhuang for about a week and a half and am loving it. every morning I get up and do them and I can most definitely feel my chi much easier now.

theNERD

Edited by theNERD