Ya Mu

Gift of the Tao II Neigong Movements

Thanks Michael.

The Spiral exercise, will it be included in GOT 3?

There are some detail on movement of feet and knees regarding GOT1. On certain moves where you turned your body facing to the side, do we keep the feet planted on the ground on the same angle or do the sole of feet angle changed.

How to the the twisting body motion without feeling uncomfortable and pain in the knee?

As Michael said Tendou,

the Spiral exercise,

the Chen Pan Ling Baduajin,

the Isometric Qigong are

only workshop and are not on DVD.

It is very valuable to go to

one Seminar to learn this Forms.

The are so simple that you might

think they are not useful at all

if one has learned many forms.

But for me they have some subtle

difference to similar forms or

variants as the Baduajin.

This changes when one has

the transmission of the

Stillnessmovment and the the Qigong Forms

one learn are an extension of

the Stillnessmovement Qigong

with awareness on the LDT.

The Gift of Tao is less technical

than energy influenced and repeated

the main purpose is not allignment of the

physical body (one can use it for that but

thats a different animal).

Sometimes the moves are big, sometimes

they are small, sometimes one arms move

non syncron to the other arm or

it send you to spontaneus movement.

Sometime not going low, sometimes

lower than DVD. Sometimes Jumping

in the Stepping ,sometimes sneaking

the steps.

If one can let go of control you move the body

"similar but not same" by letting the energy

do and one follow and try not to interfere

as the state of the concious is important

which is at performing out of the linear

and the body will act arcording the situation

as it has itself harm prevention.

Going to a seminar can give you the advantage

of direct correction if it is sort of "habit mistake"

a sort of control which similar as spontaneus

movement but learned harmful.

(Such things are corrected by people in the

body work scene and awareness schools,

Feldenkrais, Alexandertechnique, Rolfing

etc.)

(Such things are gained from Martial Arts,

or other form of sports where movements

or learned from parents or other children

have to be precise forming the body

excel the art as it is and from long years of

work)

• Like 2

Thanks Friend. If I'm not too far I'll go. Although I hope that oe day I may have the chance to go there.

Michael,

I am not sure which move cause that, because I get that feeling on the knee after the exercise, not when exercising.

But based on my experience doing other form of qigong with taichi like movement before, It is when you twist the body to the side while keeping feet planted on the same position. I guess this sort of movement too that gives me some problem.

Like when your doing the first move, when you make the move bigger, twisting your body to the body and to the left and the feet look like in the same [position in the dvd. also moves 4 is like that, with you twisting the body to the left and right.

• Like 1

Don't twist at the knee or hip, sway from side to side and twist the spine instead.

• Like 1

While not technically part of GOT II, it is sort of a cousin to SECABDE and already discussed in this thread so I'll share a spiral qigong story...

Yesterday, I went on a furniture-moving expedition (long story) that involved four hours of Interstate driving each way, with several hours of carrying on either end. My passengers were my 80-year-old mother-in-law and my 19-year-old son.

Shortly after getting underway, I started doing spiral qigong. Being very careful not to "go too deep" or to allow myself to shift much, I spiraled in and spiraled out over and over, proceeding through the sequence a bit quicker than usual (just enough to "light up" each energy center but not getting absorbed into it) and stopping completely when traffic situations required my undivided attention.

My passengers slept almost the entire drive and I left the radio off the entire day. On the return leg, the time it took to "light up" energy centers began decreasing significantly and by the time we stopped to get gas and eat supper (which is better than the other way around) my brain was the limiting factor as I still found it necessary to "think the name" of the energy centers as I moved between them -- they would light up almost instantly. I could feel myself expanding while spiraling and realized that I couldn't "find" the edge of my energy-body. Knowing from previous experience that I wanted to shield before interacting with "the public," I set my shield out beyond my outstretched arms.

Apparently, I need to learn shield better or extend it farther or something...

Went into Wendy's and the guy behind the register not only volunteered to carry our tray into the dining room but he then went over and got us napkins (like dozens of them!) straws, forks, spoons, etc., and then offered to come back if we needed refills. Curious, I watched and saw that he wasn't interacting with other customers this way, including two sets of elderly couples who came in while we were eating.

Last time I had felt so noticeably "expanded" was after the first day of workshop in June. On that occasion, the waitress at Ruby Tuesdays brought me several free drinks and appetizers that had been prepared by accident, and when I left there to walk to Wal*Mart for some forgotten supplies, I saw people veering towards me like iron filings pulled towards a magnet. I then remembered to shield and returned to my more comfortable virtual invisibility.

I know the song says "let it shine, let it shine, let it shine" but sometimes it is good to reduce the glare a little...

:)

EDIT: Disclaimer: Practicing qigong while driving is a really bad idea and I do not encourage ANYONE to do it.

;)

Edited by Brian
  • Like 3

While not technically part of GOT II, it is sort of a cousin to SECABDE and already discussed in this thread so I'll share a spiral qigong story...

Yesterday, I went on a furniture-moving expedition (long story) that involved four hours of Interstate driving each way, with several hours of carrying on either end. My passengers were my 80-year-old mother-in-law and my 19-year-old son.

Shortly after getting underway, I started doing spiral qigong. Being very careful not to "go too deep" or to allow myself to shift much, I spiraled in and spiraled out over and over, proceeding through the sequence a bit quicker than usual (just enough to "light up" each energy center but not getting absorbed into it) and stopping completely when traffic situations required my undivided attention.

My passengers slept almost the entire drive and I left the radio off the entire day. On the return leg, the time it took to "light up" energy centers began decreasing significantly and by the time we stopped to get gas and eat supper (which is better than the other way around) my brain was the limiting factor as I still found it necessary to "think the name" of the energy centers as I moved between them -- they would light up almost instantly. I could feel myself expanding while spiraling and realized that I couldn't "find" the edge of my energy-body. Knowing from previous experience that I wanted to shield before interacting with "the public," I set my shield out beyond my outstretched arms.

Apparently, I need to learn shield better or extend it farther or something...

Went into Wendy's and the guy behind the register not only volunteered to carry our tray into the dining room but he then went over and got us napkins (like dozens of them!) straws, forks, spoons, etc., and then offered to come back if we needed refills. Curious, I watched and saw that he wasn't interacting with other customers this way, including two sets of elderly couples who came in while we were eating.

Last time I had felt so noticeably "expanded" was after the first day of workshop in June. On that occasion, the waitress at Ruby Tuesdays brought me several free drinks and appetizers that had been prepared by accident, and when I left there to walk to Wal*Mart for some forgotten supplies, I saw people veering towards me like iron filings pulled towards a magnet. I then remembered to shield and returned to my more comfortable virtual invisibility.

I know the song says "let it shine, let it shine, let it shine" but sometimes it is good to reduce the glare a little...

:)

EDIT: Disclaimer: Practicing qigong while driving is a really bad idea and I do not encourage ANYONE to do it.

;)

Lol I was deep onto a Tongues Prayer one time and drove 20 minutes past my exit...I was in the ZONE.

Back on topic...sorry :)

Funny story about Michael....He lives in Indiana....I moved from Indiana to California in 2005. If memory serves he's about 45 mins away from my town

I agree, this is a prudent disclaimer, yet I would like to play devil's advocate for a moment. I have this sneaky suspicion that if one was really meditating, then the Universe/God/Guides will not allow anything bad to happen to you. Best not to test it out though, unless you can really walk in the Wu Wei.

Funny story, I was driving in a rush to an appointment one day, knowing that I was almost an hour late. And I was really praying hard for me to get to my destination in time. Then, when I checked the time on my watch again, I suddenly realized that it was an hour earlier than I what I thought the time really was. It was like the clock turned back an hour, and suddenly I had plenty of time to get to my destination. I was so astonished, I couldn't believe it, and to this day I don't know how I read the time wrong when I was at home, because I checked the time on three different clocks before departing.

Thanks Friend. If I'm not too far I'll go. Although I hope that oe day I may have the chance to go there.

Michael,

I am not sure which move cause that, because I get that feeling on the knee after the exercise, not when exercising.

But based on my experience doing other form of qigong with taichi like movement before, It is when you twist the body to the side while keeping feet planted on the same position. I guess this sort of movement too that gives me some problem.

Like when your doing the first move, when you make the move bigger, twisting your body to the body and to the left and the feet look like in the same [position in the dvd. also moves 4 is like that, with you twisting the body to the left and right.

Like Brian said, move the spine - but only to natural range of motion.

Move 4 is the one I was referring to in my post above. It is really a rocking side to side with a slight figure 8 movement - doesn't twist the knee but does rotate the joint somewhat.

Bottom line is generally if something hurts modify it until it doesn't.

• Like 1

Thanks. Move number 4 does have some movement of the knee, will have to practise listening to the body more.

Oolong cha, eggs and qigong walking this morning. Qigong walking is REALLY interesting once it kicks in.

I realised while writing this post that I had in fact been following the actual route of a famous internal arts master (he used to walk this route daily). There is a certain poignancy to that thought.

Some Bagua and Xing Yi masters were famous for their qigong running skills. Master Wang Juemin used to run 20km a day using this method, just like these old masters. Except Master Wang was in his 70's I believe, had had his legs shot-up by the Japanese invaders in the 1930's, and had been cured of gangrene by his teachers and personal practice.

Deep doesn't begin to describe this practice of Stillness Movement.

• Like 6

Thanks. Move number 4 does have some movement of the knee, will have to practise listening to the body more.

It is a movement like a infinite symbol looked from behind.

Look from the side it is like it is tilt not straight vertical like " / "

and not " I ".

Look from above it looks like \ /. but more to 180° around 170°

depending on the hip.

Knees are not locked but slightly bend.

If the toes are much pigeontoed then it

hurt the knees. When the feet are almost

paralell it reduce the pressure on the knees.

As well the motion is not introduced

by the knees. Weight that use to stand

is shift below the feet.

This is only general as long the energetics

not kick in. If it does one may move

extremly asymmetric to regain symmetric

function.

Practically one can put ones hand on the hips

of the advance practioner and try to understand.

The other way I did was to move the hip with my hands

of the student/client.

Oolong cha, eggs and qigong walking this morning. Qigong walking is REALLY interesting once it kicks in.

I realised while writing this post that I had in fact been following the actual route of a famous internal arts master (he used to walk this route daily). There is a certain poignancy to that thought.

Some Bagua and Xing Yi masters were famous for their qigong running skills. Master Wang Juemin used to run 20km a day using this method, just like these old masters. Except Master Wang was in his 70's I believe, had had his legs shot-up by the Japanese invaders in the 1930's, and had been cured of gangrene by his teachers and personal practice.

Deep doesn't begin to describe this practice of Stillness Movement.

"I realized while writing this post that I had in fact been following the actual route of a famous internal arts master (he used to walk this route daily). There is a certain poignancy to that thought."

HA HA - Really cool!

"Qigong walking is REALLY interesting once it kicks in."

I remember a student nearly 20 years ago that was sorta suspicious about all these weird but wonderful practices. She went on a hiking trip with some friends the weekend after I taught her. She said she was hiking along a stream and suddenly remembered to try the qigong walking - and it "kicked in" and was amazing - all the colors got much more vivid, the sounds all kicked in, and she walked for a very long time without getting tired and arrived back full of energy. Yes, really interesting it is.

I have taught the complete qigong running system to only a very few people. It is a totally amazing practice.

"Deep doesn't begin to describe this practice of Stillness Movement"

VERY deep doesn't describe it either. I thought by this point in my life I would be at the pinnacle of my practice, you know, where it becomes a kinda easy everyday thing - but I keep finding out there is more. And NO session of practice is an "easy everyday thing" but instead is always an awesome astounding thing. I knew I was tasked to utilize Stillness-Movement to develop the Gift of the Tao movements as GOT I occurred while Master Wang was still here in body. But I thought I was through with that at GOT I. And yet the masters keep adding them on...Just finished GOT III.

• Like 10

"I realized while writing this post that I had in fact been following the actual route of a famous internal arts master (he used to walk this route daily). There is a certain poignancy to that thought."

HA HA - Really cool!

"Qigong walking is REALLY interesting once it kicks in."

I remember a student nearly 20 years ago that was sorta suspicious about all these weird but wonderful practices. She went on a hiking trip with some friends the weekend after I taught her. She said she was hiking along a stream and suddenly remembered to try the qigong walking - and it "kicked in" and was amazing - all the colors got much more vivid, the sounds all kicked in, and she walked for a very long time without getting tired and arrived back full of energy. Yes, really interesting it is.

I have taught the complete qigong running system to only a very few people. It is a totally amazing practice.

"Deep doesn't begin to describe this practice of Stillness Movement"

VERY deep doesn't describe it either. I thought by this point in my life I would be at the pinnacle of my practice, you know, where it becomes a kinda easy everyday thing - but I keep finding out there is more. And NO session of practice is an "easy everyday thing" but instead is always an awesome astounding thing. I knew I was tasked to utilize Stillness-Movement to develop the Gift of the Tao movements as GOT I occurred while Master Wang was still here in body. But I thought I was through with that at GOT I. And yet the masters keep adding them on...Just finished GOT III.

Read, read, and read again. Practice, contemplate, grow, come back and read again.

"I thought by this point in my life I would be at the pinnacle of my practice, you know, where it becomes a kinda easy everyday thing - but I keep finding out there is more."

• Like 4

Been having some interesting experiences with GOT lately and wanted others whom practice the systems feedback, feel like I have grown a bit in this practice and my understanding.

I have found that the stronger intent or will/prayer I put behind each movement in the form the more powerful it becomes and the more energy I can shift to the point where it feels like I am pushing a thick wall? It's like every movement is a prayer and the deeper and more enflamed and focused your will/intent is the more powerful the motions and energies become? Like every motion is a deep and profound communion between Heaven and Earth that shakes shifts energies internally and externally?

Anyone else have this experience?

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 4

Absolutely! There is a direct correlation between one's intent and one's results, just as there is a direct correlation between one's time-commitment and one's results. Individual mileage will vary but this variation is just an adjustment in the coefficients of the equation, to put it in mathematical terms.

Don't just "go through the motions" -- as you have so unambiguously discovered. :)

• Like 2

Absolutely! There is a direct correlation between one's intent and one's results, just as there is a direct correlation between one's time-commitment and one's results. Individual mileage will vary but this variation is just an adjustment in the coefficients of the equation, to put it in mathematical terms.Don't just "go through the motions" -- as you have so unambiguously discovered. :)

Awesome, thanks for your insights!! :)

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi

"Don't just "go through the motions" -- as you have so unambiguously discovered"

Yes.

Intent (as we use the term), and energy are cultivated simultaneously, and nothing happens without the other.

• Like 5

Intent (as we use the term), and energy are cultivated simultaneously, and nothing happens without the other.

Very interesting about the simultaneous part. Thanks for the additional insights Michael.

My 2 cents, Peace

Very interesting about the simultaneous part. Thanks for the additional insights Michael. My 2 cents, Peace

There's another dimension of this simultaneity, OldChi. There is a very strong bi-directional link between helping others and the strength of one's own practice. A healer may be presented with opportunities and stepping through these opened doors leads to more opened doors.

• Like 1

There's another dimension of this simultaneity, OldChi. There is a very strong bi-directional link between helping others and the strength of one's own practice. A healer may be presented with opportunities and stepping through these opened doors leads to more opened doors.

VERY good realization. With assuming responsibility our own abilities increase. Hesitating at an open door may hinder growth.

• Like 4

VERY good realization. With assuming responsibility our own abilities increase. Hesitating at an open door may hinder growth.

Cool. Thanks guys. Definitely food for thought. :)

My 2 cents, Peace

Yeah...

I've hesitated at many open doors recently. After my "don't turn down any opportunity" phase and subsequent burn-out.

But I'm sure that knowing which doors are conducive to growth and which aren't is half the battle.

• Like 2

But I'm sure that knowing which doors are conducive to growth and which aren't is half the battle.

Absolutely.

In the healing aspect it is the same. We can't heal everyone as it is a simple fact. That discernment you speak of is extremely important. But we do grow as we exercise our wai qi liao fa in the interests of someone else who that discernment says has raised their hand for us.

• Like 4

Been having some interesting experiences with GOT lately and wanted others whom practice the systems feedback, feel like I have grown a bit in this practice and my understanding.

I have found that the stronger intent or will/prayer I put behind each movement in the form the more powerful it becomes and the more energy I can shift to the point where it feels like I am pushing a thick wall? It's like every movement is a prayer and the deeper and more enflamed and focused your will/intent is the more powerful the motions and energies become? Like every motion is a deep and profound communion between Heaven and Earth that shakes shifts energies internally and externally?

Anyone else have this experience?

Thanks for sharing. I have been dense about this, and a similar realisation took a while for me. I am still learning about this.

I have felt how working with, mixing, and balancing Heaven & Earth can mean so many things, and I know I haven't even scratched the surface yet.

There is a direct correlation between one's intent and one's results,

Don't just "go through the motions"

Indeed, when I first learned GoT I all too easily approached the practice from past experiences. Older habits/conditioning/teaching need time to fade.

I am still learning new layers to what Ya Mu told me the first time I met him when he took the time to explain aspects of the system. I understood what he was saying at the time, and today I understand what he said, and yet the two are worlds apart!

Even with the martial training, I started at age 8, I never developed strong intent. Though I have experienced and used strong intent in life, it was something I never really learned to bring forth into my martial art. And don't think I didn't try. At one point I went a little far, and with lets say an approach where I was becoming someone I didn't want to be. Some doors once open never fully close again. I realised I had been lucky enough to have a life where I hadn't needed to open those doors, so why do so for the sake of it. Soon after I was introduced to fighting without intent, and I found this made a world of difference. But I digress...

I appreciate more and more why the GoT movements are "simple" physically. Though I was talking with a fellow student the other day and saying how I can practice taiji walking and do one leg stepping exercises fine (not perfectly), but when it comes to the ones in GoT there is something else going on and finding 'balance' is a whole other thing! hahah :D

There is a very strong bi-directional link between helping others and the strength of one's own practice. A healer may be presented with opportunities and stepping through these opened doors leads to more opened doors.

I have been feeling and to an extent pondering upon this recently as well. The relationship between your own state, how you feel and how much you can help others. There is the discernment which is in Ya Mu's book about being honest with yourself.

I had made a decision regarding this over the weekend. Come Monday, due to what I had on that day, I prayed and put it out that I was more prepared to help those that needed it.

Yes, it felt like assuming responsibility. The result? Three enquiries in 24 hours from as far away as India, all of a nature that was quite a leap for me! Talk about saying something and getting a response, I looked at this and thought, "right, what is the best way forward, how can I help, how can I help them BE helped".

In the healing aspect it is the same. We can't heal everyone as it is a simple fact. That discernment you speak of is extremely important.

Discernment is right. I contacted Ya Mu, since I wasn't sure if I'd be biting off more than I could chew. Happy to help, to do (there is no try right ;) ?) to listen, but as he says above and reminded me, you can't help everyone.

The e-mail about that also came at an auspicious time for me, I received it shortly after getting back from clinic with a tough patient. It was like receiving an indirect confirmation. Sometimes there is more that needs to be learned for them. Will of the Light/Dao indeed.

I have dipped into it, but not re-read the book since Hilton Head. I KNOW I will understand things quite differently.

VERY deep doesn't describe it either. I thought by this point in my life I would be at the pinnacle of my practice, you know, where it becomes a kinda easy everyday thing - but I keep finding out there is more. And NO session of practice is an "easy everyday thing" but instead is always an awesome astounding thing....And yet the masters keep adding...

:D

Curiouser and curiouser, just how deep does the rabbit hole go?...

1313610931_3bbbd32f74.jpg

Best,

Edited by snowmonki
  • Like 7

Just got dvd-s recently ... I have been practicing the first 9 movementst from GOT1 dvd ... I feel the energy from the first day on ... seems really simple and powrfull practice to me ...

I know that SM & GOT is complete system, just courious, if anyone combine it with other practices. I primarly practice healing tao, and enjoy it really much ...

I will be glad to hear your esperiences ...

Peace, Jox :)