Gerard

Prometheus

Nailed to this wall of eagle-baffling mountain,

Black, wintry, dead, unmeasured; without herb,

Insect, or beast, or shape or sound of life.

Ah me! alas, pain, pain ever, forever!

Yep can't wait either.

I saw the preview twice. I can wait..

Edited by thelerner

Just about to book tickets for tomorrow - 3D (with a certain amount of trepidation!!!!).

Edit: Update - seen it - not sure if I liked it!! Multilayered and very thought provoking. I'm curious about where he's going to go with Promethius 2.

I'd be interested in discussing other people's take on it when it's been out long enough to prevent any spoilers.

Perhaps a separate thread with a spoiler warning????

Edited by gatito

Little bit of a rant, but why not...

That ET-fearmongering gets old. (with the ETs being super-powerful and super-stupid)

And it might not be advisable as mass entertainment in a time where ET influences on human civilization are relatively well researched. ;)

Making movie scripts like Independence Day or 2012 is, in my view, a sign of low creativity. It's damn easy to imagine evil aliens from space or this or that natural catastrophe hitting.

I think, considering the development of human society, Hollywood doesn't catch up. Probably because it's easier and cheaper to do the same old stuff again and again, and that way they breed a generation of viewers that don't know anything else and shape an evolving society with old ideas.

Art is supposed to inspire society, to introduce new ideas. When movies merely enforce old stuff that has no place in a future society, it's not art, it's propaganda. I think this partly stems from storywriting being a craft that is taught, thus many movie-makers are mostly just using established tools. ... All the while someone who is very creative and never learned anything about writing can come up with an awesome, innovative script, fueled by an innate sense of what feels entertaining and enriching.

Funny is this: Those story tools called tropes, they begin to become old and worn. People recognize them and know what will happen. Then, trope-breaking becomes the new discipline. This plays with people's expectations. After a while, people got used to tropes being broken. Now there has to be a hint of a trope-breaking that is then averted in order to surprise people.

Wouldn't it be easier to forget about all that stuff in the first place? I mean, it's almost an arms-race mentality, or antibiotics scenario. If writers didn't use tropes, there wouldn't be common expectations based on them. But I guess that's the writers' personal 'order inclination / fear of chaos' manifesting.

I have seen it - visually = awesome... loved the opening scene

the movie does pose the question who are we? where did we come from? why are we here?

its a bit of fun I wouldnt take it too seriously - as all things

worth the watch I think if your interested

in ref to Owls post

in most of these films it would seem humans though not as smart or advanced still seem to transcend these obstacles and themselves / overcoming the near impossible

so perhaps the worst things bring out the best in us? proving the true essence of what it is to be human

/ pushing us beyond the limits of what we think we are capable of

what if the aliens represented demons? ... as satan was... in the Hebrew tradition an agent of God... not a rebel... sent to test man, revealing his true characters... I suppose it is kind of the Joker thread / or the archetype of the trickster etc

if ppl werent interested in these topics they wouldnt go... something appeals to the collective in terms of aliens

the rest is perhaps fear mongering + distorted perceptions of ET life

why would the rest of the universe be any different or so different to Earth life?

On this planet we have both good and bad ... both with or without high tech

why not the rest of the universe

+ if the high tech good ETs are anything like buddhism we are all fkd hahah they will leave us to the slaughter ... too busy generating good merit and non violence etc

i think these say it all

The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it.

Ayn Rand (1905 - 1982), Atlas Shrugged, 1957

The spread of evil is the symptom of a vacuum. whenever evil wins, it is only by default: by the moral failure of those who evade the fact that there can be no compromise on basic principles.

Ayn Rand (1905 - 1982), Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal, 1966

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

The problem is that one will be missing entirely the 3D experience which is perhaps the best I have seen so far.

The rest of the movie is a bluff. I like the following review.

I have rated the movie as 7/10 but it could be an easy 6/10, if you are a rigorous critic. :lol:

Very unfortunate movie, it had the potential for greatness. :(

if ppl werent interested in these topics they wouldnt go... something appeals to the collective in terms of aliens

the rest is perhaps fear mongering + distorted perceptions of ET life

why would the rest of the universe be any different or so different to Earth life?

On this planet we have both good and bad ... both with or without high tech

why not the rest of the universe

+ if the high tech good ETs are anything like buddhism we are all fkd hahah they will leave us to the slaughter ... too busy generating good merit and non violence etc

i think these say it all

The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it.

Ayn Rand (1905 - 1982), Atlas Shrugged, 1957

The spread of evil is the symptom of a vacuum. whenever evil wins, it is only by default: by the moral failure of those who evade the fact that there can be no compromise on basic principles.

Ayn Rand (1905 - 1982), Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal, 1966

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Quoting Ayn Rand? Uh-oh...

The problem is that one will be missing entirely the 3D experience which is perhaps the best I have seen so far.

The rest of the movie is a bluff. I like the following review.

Lol, I was completely underwhelmed by the trailer alone..

Ooh, wait...I mean.. :lol:

In short...another cheap, unoriginal ploy to remarket the whole Alien franchise to the Millenials and milk a few more dollars from that old cash cow. B)

Edited by vortex

Seeing as you are all superior directors/ creatives and film geniuses I look forward to viewing your contribution

though I feel I may be waiting some time...

I thought it was kind of boring and had a hard time staying awake. I was changing my sleep schedule from staying awake all night when I saw it. So, I was tired to begin with. I was hoping the movie would pump me up but it just made me want to sleep. I did manage to stay awake and practice the small universe throughout the movie - but it was rough. The day before I saw the new Adam Sandler movie on no sleep - and found that one easier to stay awake to.