onebir

Dream thread

After a relatively dream-free 40ish years, I'm suddenly getting quite a few. Risking boring the hell out of everyone, I'd like to report them & related non-events.

Dream, 25/5/12 2am GMT, recorded ~12pm (noon) GMT 25/5

I was in a large open plan room in a house. It was quite dark - the lights weren't working properly. My mood was gloomy and a little frightened - I don't know why. I went to do the washing up at a sink/workshop in the corner of the room & saw a face at the window. Somehow even though the room was dark it was illuminated by a shaft of light from the room.

It was a very large, white dog - not white like a polar bear, but like a husky (or perhaps an alsatian with white fur where they normally have yellow fur). I'm not a dog person and this initially scared me. But it didn't seem aggressive and walked off into the garden when I shooed it away.

Afterwards I had the feeling that the dog was trying to help me, and regretted shooing it away.

I remembered a certain taobum with a relevant nickname had checked my profile & felt a strange urge to contact him. I waited a few days and pm'd him. It turns out he'd had a dream of being outside a house, with a vague impression of a piano. There's a piano in my living room.

So far, so inconclusive. Then he reported a dream about a frog:

30/5/12: Last night I had a dream of a black and green poison dart frog; someone was showing me how to use the poison so that it would act to rejuvenate / heal

This person took the skin off the live frog. I was horrified, disgusted in such treatment. The man reassured me the frog would be ok. I watched the frog and it did quickly regenerate

This had some significance to me at the time:

31/5/12: i sit 'on a lotus' during meditation

- i squat in about as froglike a posture as possible after meditating until my feet & calves wake up

- i sometime go to sleep in supta baddha konasana, and my ex-gf once said i looked like a frog...

- i 'shed' my social skin - quit my career, & the country i'd lived in for decades

- the treatment i'm using involves 'immunopathology': a temporary (but quite sustained) worsening of some symptoms due to stimulation of the immune response. so in a sense, although it's not strictly poisonous, it can feel that way...

Perhaps I also need to 'lose my venom' to rejuvenate.

And then:

31/6/12: I'm in the middle of a (something like) a gangster feud. Literally everyone is trying to kill everyone else with knives. I find a strange black L-shaped bunker/hollow, with steps to the left and a slope ahead of me, and hunker down in the corner. I only have to watch three or four angles.

Periodically faces peer over the top, or at the end of the slope. I'm sharpening my knife on the dark spongy rock. They leave me alone.

The war quietens down & I go to a Macdonalds (-like place) with two of them for coffee(!) One reminds me of a friend of my parents who's had schizophrenia/OCD for decades. He has a gift for me, in a white carrier bag. Inside another transparent plastic bag is an American football. But it's way too big, too elongated like a cartoon version, and soft and foam-filled like a toy, and has the Penn tennis brand logo (http://www.cambridgetennisclub.org/TF_Links.htm) - but in burgundy, blue and cream.

(Which I discovered are the Penn State colours...)

He wants me to take it. I tell him I've never played American football. Anyway, it's a special one for indoor use...

My interpretation: the present situation presents great risks. But I am not a specific target and can avoid them by confining their possible angles of approach, and staying vigilant. I must spend this time preparing myself. The world will eventually become safer, but will remain basically insane. The will offer gifts to tempt me. They will be exaggerated, commercial, and tawdry - but ultimately harmless.

I had a couple more fragmentary ones this morning. The gist of one was to be nicer to my Dad, but I've forgotten the details already. :P

• Like 1

Hehe - I knew it was boring :P

3/6/12 AM. I was walking around in a city (can't figure out where) and started flying. I was enjoying flying, and flew into a park (not the park near where I'm living) and flew around inside. The few people saw me were surprised and one asked me why I was able to fly. I didn't know. Then the grass in the park started to slope down. I thought I'd just fly a bit lower to be on the safe side, but ended up landing (& waking up).

I can remember some lucid dreams, where I've deliberately gone flying, but not many non-lucid ones like this...

Hi

I've had spontaneous lucid dreams ... usually when something is happening energetically ...

Do you want a personal practice forum ... I can set one up for you to record stuff like this if you want.

A.

• Like 1

I've had spontaneous lucid dreams ... usually when something is happening energetically ...

There's another kind? :s

Do you want a personal practice forum ... I can set one up for you to record stuff like this if you want.

Maybe that'd be better - thanks!

onebir

My interpretation: the present situation presents great risks. But I am not a specific target and can avoid them by confining their possible angles of approach, and staying vigilant. I must spend this time preparing myself. The world will eventually become safer, but will remain basically insane. The will offer gifts to tempt me. They will be exaggerated, commercial, and tawdry - but ultimately harmless.

Good interpretation I think

I'll bring a few of my dreams across later

Most folks don't seem to recognize dreaming or 'astral projection' etc as valid for spiritual development in my experience // or perhaps it is difficult to comment on such

more of a shamanic path?

for myself I believe they are quite important

showing us what we are unable to process in our waking state + we are able to experience things this reality doesn't allow easily eg: flying

how awesome is flying! haha

I find the happier I am the easier it is to fly? love has wings?

I suppose one would have to ask- what does one want out of such interaction? what is the aim?

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air
  • Like 1

There's another kind? :s

Maybe that'd be better - thanks!

Sure you can consciously develop lucid dreaming ... there's techniques for this.

You now have a personal practice thing! Bottom of long list in that section.

No problem posting here BTW its up to you.

A.

• Like 1

The gangster dream is fun. In both the gangster dream and the dream where the white dog is looking in the window, both indicate that you're waiting or watching for something to come at you. Initially you were afraid, in both cases - both with the dog and with the gangsters. Your feelings of regret at not having been friendlier to the dog (perhaps alluding here to your relationship with your father?) are matched by your later willingness to go to McDonalds with the gangster, overcoming your fear to some degree. It sounds to me as if you have something coming up to deal with; perhaps something to do with your fear of mental instability in some way. I don't think the appearance of that particular friend with the mental illness was an accident.

It's as though the fellow with the football is inviting you to 'play' the game - particularly with the special ball 'for indoor use'. This means that you will be playing on your inner field. I'd start with your relationship with your dad, if you're willing. Most likely, if you're like the rest of us, there is stuff there for you to look at, get angry over, forgive - and your dreams are bringing whatever it is imminently to the fore for your continued growth.

It's helpful on the inner journey to remember that we're all Victims of Victims of Victims - so we needn't get too hung up in too much blame for very long

• Like 1

Sure you can consciously develop lucid dreaming ... there's techniques for this.

I'll have to look into that :)

You now have a personal practice thing! Bottom of long list in that section.

Thanks!

The gangster dream is fun.

It was pretty scary. It turns out someone I knew from the forum about the treatment I'm going through died in the last few days. He was quite young and we think his death was due to the hospital doctors denying him the medication we're using. (The therapy was developed by a biology professor, not a medical doctor, & is unconventional in several respects, so it's very hard to get clinicians - who've been taught they know everything

- to follow it.)

It's helpful on the inner journey to remember that we're all Victims of Victims of Victims - so we needn't get too hung up in too much blame for very long

So true, and a very relevant to my current feelings. But easier said than done eh...

In both the gangster dream and the dream where the white dog is looking in the window, both indicate that you're waiting or watching for something to come at you. Initially you were afraid, in both cases - both with the dog and with the gangsters. Your feelings of regret at not having been friendlier to the dog (perhaps alluding here to your relationship with your father?)

Funnily enough, my Dad shaves pretty much every day, but recently one day he didn't. I was surprised to see his white stubble. So perhaps indeed, he was looking in on my darkness...

are matched by your later willingness to go to McDonalds with the gangster, overcoming your fear to some degree.

My perception was that there was nothing left to fear. They'd been gripped by a kind of paranoia, and I could feel it was over.

It sounds to me as if you have something coming up to deal with;

I think the world is about to spiral into a deeper economic and political crisis; I need to make some preparations for this. I also have to start moving on in some ways.

perhaps something to do with your fear of mental instability in some way. I don't think the appearance of that particular friend with the mental illness was an accident.

Mental instability, mainly in the form of lassitude, and anxiety, has been a great obstacle for me.

It's as though the fellow with the football is inviting you to 'play' the game - particularly with the special ball 'for indoor use'. This means that you will be playing on your inner field.

I've also realised the ball was double-wrapped in opaque and transparent layers: similar to medicine packaging (eg box and blister pack)... And many pills are oval with a short code or word written on them.

So this may (also?) be a reference to medicine. (I've seen the effects decades of anti-psychotics etc have had on that friend: as far as I can tell a modest reduction in symptoms with no long-term improvement.)

Thanks for dropping by and commenting, BTW - it's much appreciated :)

[quote name='White Wolf Running On Air' date='03 June 2012 - 03:30 AM'

Most folks don't seem to recognize dreaming or 'astral projection' etc as valid for spiritual development in my experience // or perhaps it is difficult to comment on such

more of a shamanic path?

for myself I believe they are quite important

showing us what we are unable to process in our waking state + we are able to experience things this reality doesn't allow easily eg: flying

I'm a bit torn about how much attention to pay to them

how awesome is flying! haha

I find the happier I am the easier it is to fly? love has wings?

It's great, but I haven't noticed a happiness link...

I suppose one would have to ask- what does one want out of such interaction? what is the aim?

Indeed, and how to direct it towards any aim, when most of the time you don't realise your dreaming...

A lot of dreamers lately

Dreams are made from this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyltryptamine#Psychedelic_properties

It is found in human body and is made with this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineal_gland#Conjecture

Pineal gland is associated with the third eye and is third eye's organ in the human body

I heard that the growth of pineal gland is a part of our evolution that is being sped up recently

Here's a video about it made by a crazy guy

It's great, but I haven't noticed a happiness link...

hm true

perhaps it is easier to direct ones will when the inner state isn't heavy / inner state is lighter than air

I had a dream specifically in relation to this some time ago haha :)

I used to dream of flying all the time when I was a child as I got older and the world started to weigh me down the flying seem to cease

I remember in the dream trying to generate positive emotions to lift up my spirit so to speak :)

love travels at the speed of light? or faster? :) haha // happiness, delight, peace :)

my experience anyhow ;)

It's funny how sometimes people need a Device to fly in their dreams. My mom can fly, but she has to be holding a piece of colored cellophane. My nephew flies as well, but he needs to be holding a piece of sandpaper between his ankles.

Go figure. My hands need to be up, like in a praying position. But if I thrust them out over and over again, I can control my speed. If I position them up over my head, backwards, I can do a backflip.

It's funny how sometimes people need a Device to fly in their dreams. My mom can fly, but she has to be holding a piece of colored cellophane. My nephew flies as well, but he needs to be holding a piece of sandpaper between his ankles.

Go figure. My hands need to be up, like in a praying position. But if I thrust them out over and over again, I can control my speed. If I position them up over my head, backwards, I can do a backflip.

haha! very cool Manitou

when I was a kid I generally needed a run up... run, run, run JUMP!! FLY haha

haha flying techniques! very cool

sometimes when I am running in the dream state I don't feel like I am going anywhere though

when I go to my 'wolf form' I seem to get a better grip on the reality and like pull it toward me :D:closedeyes::lol:

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

I'll have to look into that :)

Thanks!

Slightly annoying web design but some useful info here

LD4all

A lot of dreamers lately

Dreams are made from this

http://en.wikipedia....elic_properties

It is found in human body and is made with this

http://en.wikipedia....land#Conjecture

Pineal gland is associated with the third eye and is third eye's organ in the human body

I heard that the growth of pineal gland is a part of our evolution that is being sped up recently

Very interesting Wikipedia articles.

Thanks SF :)

Slightly annoying web design but some useful info here

LD4all

Thanks - interesting stuff. (You're right about the web design tho - what were they thinking! EDIT:

The way LD4all looks comes directly from a lucid dream. Previous versions have also always been called forth in a lucid dream.
:unsure: ) Edited by onebir

This may have something to do with one's proprietary wuxing phase. Fire people fly in their dreams. Water people can fly if there's enough Fire in their chart to turn their Water to steam. Sandpaper in your nephew's dream may stand for Metal controlling his Fire, plus Wood feeding it; and colored cellophane in your mom's flights may signify Water in charge of her Fire, and/or the petroleum fuel it runs on -- that's what cellophane is made of. You, on the other hand, only need to assume the Fire mudra in your flying dreams and up you go, and to change direction you point the Fire vector in that direction.

I've dreamt a lot lately, and it was so much stuff with no clear meaning. I can recognize a lot how stuff from waking life is recycled and put together for my dreams. Many things that might be special symbolisms turn out to be inspired by recent experiences and thoughts.

Thus, at least for me personally, I tend to pay more attention to my behavior in dreams - how I deal with what's going on and what the dream's plot might tell me. You know, like a kind of mix of behavioral analysis and testing/training grounds.

This may have something to do with one's proprietary wuxing phase. Fire people fly in their dreams. Water people can fly if there's enough Fire in their chart to turn their Water to steam. Sandpaper in your nephew's dream may stand for Metal controlling his Fire, plus Wood feeding it; and colored cellophane in your mom's flights may signify Water in charge of her Fire, and/or the petroleum fuel it runs on -- that's what cellophane is made of. You, on the other hand, only need to assume the Fire mudra in your flying dreams and up you go, and to change direction you point the Fire vector in that direction.

I don't know what a fire mudra and fire vector are, but the whole concept is absolutely fascinating! What an incredible observation, Taomeow - and what's a wuxing phase? I'm always amazed at how intelligent the body is, the unconscious mind. the symbolism it comes up with in dreams to get something across to us is phenomenal - and the fact that the unconscious body would be able to figure out and concoct a way of flying in the dreams (involving a petroleum product, no less!) is just wonderful. If this is really the case, I'm just in awe....

Been trying to figure out how I fly in dreams. I think it's sometimes superman style - without extended arm - & sometimes carpetless flying carpet style :P

In one dream I was flitting about like the angels in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' - but giggling all the time. For the next couple of days I couldn't help giggling when ever I thought about it. I have no idea WTF that was all about, but it was actually the best fun I'd had in a long time.

(Which is in a way quite a sad thing, come to think of it... :wacko: )

I don't know what a fire mudra and fire vector are, but the whole concept is absolutely fascinating! What an incredible observation, Taomeow - and what's a wuxing phase? I'm always amazed at how intelligent the body is, the unconscious mind. the symbolism it comes up with in dreams to get something across to us is phenomenal - and the fact that the unconscious body would be able to figure out and concoct a way of flying in the dreams (involving a petroleum product, no less!) is just wonderful. If this is really the case, I'm just in awe....

What we refer to as our "unconscious" mind is 95% of all the "mind" we have, or at least 95% of all our brain activity (cultivation and deep work of the "know thyself" kind changes this ratio, to an extent ranging from quite modest to total), so no wonder it's smart. :) I'm talking about qi though, and the "proprietary" type of it (a Chinese astrology notion) participating in (or taking total control of, as the case may be) the type of dreams we experience. Wuxing is the Five Phases (translated by some as "elements" in the Western tradition) or Five Types of qi interacting to create a human "bodymindspirit" -- Water, Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal. A "proprietary" phase is the type, the phase, that is your "type" much like "brunette or blonde," "blue eyes or brown," "black skin or pink," are your physical type, but of course it, being your "qi type," encompasses more than your physicality -- your mentality, your emotionality, and your destiny. So, this is one thing it does: it manifests what it is in your dreams. (People trained in assorted ways to "read" wuxing phases see them in all kinds of human manifestations -- appearance, behavior, illnesses and accidents, lucky breaks and good fortune, and also dreams, among other things.)

A "fire mudra" is what you described as the "praying position" with hands brought together and pointing up. (People are told to pray and shown hands put together like that but they are not told that this is the way you pray to Fire manifestations -- the sun up in the sky or, its later interpretation by the church, Father in Heaven, or any and all upward-mobility-based, ascension-driven ideas.) Qi phases of wuxing are directional in their motion: Fire ascends, Water descends, Wood expands, Earth rotates, Metal contracts. Hands together pointing up symbolize Fire qi -- pyramid, triangular, up-pointing shapes are all Fire symbols. Your dream-mind knows that, so you guide your dream flight by using this mudra as the propelling, steering and navigation mechanism. If you didn't have Fire for either your proprietary or your dominant (they don't always coincide) phase, you wouldn't have these dreams, much like if you didn't have female organs, you wouldn't be a woman, and if you had more melanin in your skin, you wouldn't be "white," and so on. It's just a version of the human geno-, pheno-, phreno-, etc., -type.

Interesting TM! :) I often have had dreams of stairwells. With my water & earth, perhaps that's why they annoyed me. Because I couldn't simply fly over them. And had to walk them instead (if I wanted to get anywhere). LOL :rolleyes:

Yup. And I, Wood with Fire, never have flying dreams -- the only way Wood can fly (with few exceptions for a different conversation) is catch on Fire and go up in smoke... my dream body avoids this scenario to the same extent a 2-year-old who has burned her hand on the stove learns to avoid sticking her hand into the fire -- for the rest of her life.

However, I can be "anywhere" and even "everywhere" in my dreams without flying there -- I just do what Wood does to be everywhere (Wood qi does not just manifest plants, it manifests all biological entities): expand. :)

This is getting interesting.

Taomeow, what do you mean by expand? Just think about it and you are there?

Sometimes, though "just think about it" is a shortcut of expansion that misses out on a lot of its substance, and is not my favorite method by far... too human and too mundane, while Wood as the phase of qi and its observable manifestations only use this on occasion (quite a lot if the "occasion" is a human, but not as much if it's something else.) The organ that does the thinking, the neocortex, borders on the next wuxing phase, Fire, both geometrically (up there on top of a human) and functionally (most of its production, thoughts, is insubstantial with no form and no heng -- duration, longevity -- and any fuel you throw at it gets consumed if you let it catch on Fire. Thinking is smack at the Wood-Fire border, much like the bulk of biological functions are on the Water-Wood border, with the basic ones also "borderline" -- respiration, on the Metal-Water border, and digestion, on the Earth-Metal. But I digress.)

The way Wood qi expands is very versatile. Grasses will expand by covering all fertile soil and trees will expand deep under it while branches and leaves go out in all directions and the trunk grows in thickness. Fish will expand by spawning millions of eggs even though not all of them will prove fruitful -- this phase's expansiveness is excessive, with a lot of slack. Flowers will expand by opening, eggs and seeds will expand by cracking, senses will expand by using everything -- the eyesight of an eagle, the olfactory ability of a dog or a house moth (the champion, with the range of smelling one molecule of the opposite sex's phermones at the distance of 11 miles), the ultrasonic hearing of a whale (across the ocean into the next one), the indestructible propagation of dandelions and yeasts and lichen, it's done every which way. Very little of it has anything to do with thinking. :)