Marks of Glory

Out of Body Experience

Greetings brothers...

Yesterday had another out of body experience that was quite diferent than others I had... I will expose the experience.

I practiced "ajapa japa" method during the evening, feeling it quite easy to mantralize the sounds from navel to throat.

went to sleep at night.

woke up dreaming.. but dind't quite know I was dreaming... there were some friends of mine in my house... friend that live in other cities, and that I havn't seen for years... I tried to serve water for them but the sink was full of dirty cups and dishes, I kept cleaning them but they just continued dirty... I knew something was wrong, so, when I turned the light on.. thhey were very dim, so I realised I was dreming.. on this moment I came back to my body, laying down in bed... imediately I tried to leave my body, and managed... and what came next was the real deal...

my spirit left my body but my consciousness would percieve my body as being immense... a giant universe... like a giant machine working... i was supersensible for my heart beat.. it wseemed like a bomb, and so many interations accuring within my body I was amazed, and extremely scared... It was kindof shamanic in this aspect... I could listen to alot of sounds.. very loud ones, particularly the metalic ones.. as if giant metal beams were being struck on one another... I felt pain in several places of my body, and my breath was completely suspended, I thought that I could die at any moment so I thought to myself "ok... enough for today".. an came back to my body...

this was one of the most consious out of body experience that I had till today.. and extremely overwhelming...

I would like some advice... do you think that I should "go for it" next time.. and... even though I feel pain.. I should continue my experience and "run towards death" maybe using some mantras ou MCO to energise even more my energetic body? Is this feeling of dying an illusion?

any info will help..

Peace

Thiago

I would say go for it :D

I am yet to move beyond the body consciously

though I have experienced this expanded state a few times

and the detachment from the body - though my consciousness was within

it does feel wonderful

does death feel like freedom?

the time I have achieved this I have been in a pure state of mind / no thought just one pointed consciousness on the breath and that also dissolves until you are just awareness?

all these other things seemingly secondary or your simply the observer of such as opposed to the doer

so the doer disappears? and the watcher appears?

which perhaps is more an ego death? of death or self as in conditioning or personality

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

Yes... for sure the fear that arises is that from the ego...

lately I am having expanded states of sonsciosness, my "ego" some times goes beyond my body and identifies with outer objects... it is quite interesting...

but... at the same time.. I feel that my ego is bigger and stronger than ever... As if I were feeding a monster.... It is very necessary to keep a keen eye on it...

any ways... the energy is extremely strong out of the body... maybe the meditation I am practicing already leave my energy extremely strong... but during this out of body experience I can feel the energy better, in a more subtle way... so it seems stronger... (?) In this case, it can meen two things:

1st: That there is no danger of death handling this experience, because this extremely strong energy is already acting in my throughout the day.. I simply can't precieve it

or

2nd: That my practices are too advanced and I can die at any moment, all of a sudden... rsrsrsrs....

maybe i'll go for it next time... take of my sword and shout out towards death.. aaaaaaaaaaa, dive into mystery... oh God, maybe thats the test...

ohh.. forgot to say... it's 3 days before full moon, last full moon I had some pretty fuckdup experiences also...

don't know sorry - I am unqualified / can't comment ...

I'd be surprised if you 'died'

I wouldn't worry about ego either - I think the thought of such is a distraction and don't like the term personally // everything has its place

here is some music for the trip though :D

also // The full moon is interesting perhaps somebody can comment on this too

makes it difficult to sleep for myself

ARRHOUUU!

I felt pain in several places of my body, and my breath was completely suspended, I thought that I could die at any moment so I thought to myself "ok... enough for today".. an came back to my body...

You could feel pain AND couldn't feel breathing? When I've had similar experiences, my impression has been one of losing access to feelings in my physical body which eventually get replaced by feelings from the dream body (generally sketchy, occasionally remarkably 'real')...

But it's also possible that your speed of perception increased & your breathing was insignificant over the time-frames you were perceiving in. (It seems like perception occurs in frames or chunks of ~1/20s & we assemble these in a part of the brain that can get suspended during meditation & other non-normal states.)

I would like some advice... do you think that I should "go for it" next time.. and... even though I feel pain.. I should continue my experience and "run towards death" maybe using some mantras ou MCO to energise even more my energetic body? Is this feeling of dying an illusion?

My experience (so far :P) is that the feeling of dying is an illusion. But 'going for it' may not help you - it might just jolt you out of what's happening. My suggestion would be to just try to observe and stay calm.

Edited by onebir

You could feel pain AND couldn't feel breathing? When I've had similar experiences, my impression has been one of losing access to feelings in my physical body which eventually get replaced by feelings from the dream body (generally sketchy, occasionally remarkably 'real')...

But it's also possible that your speed of perception increased & your breathing was insignificant over the time-frames you were perceiving in. (It seems like perception occurs in frames or chunks of ~1/20s & we assemble these in a part of the brain that can get suspended during meditation & other non-normal states.)

My experience (so far :P) is that the feeling of dying is an illusion. But 'going for it' may not help you - it might just jolt you out of what's happening. My suggestion would be to just try to observe and stay calm.

Thank you for your exposition.... maybe the pains were just supersensibility, to touch, and listening, etc...

very nicely explained the time perception.. really makes sense... it happens also when I take ayahuasca.

the last time this happened I mantralized "om" and it is impressive how mantras are powerful when we are having an "out of body" experience.

any way... my next experience will come here some time... so i'll be afraid again.... maybe by continuing my ractice the experiences will start to happen more and more often... till the point that I will be more conscious of my fear... if they happen with too much of a space of time between them.. I kind of forget about the eperience of fear...

cheers..

Thank you for your exposition.... maybe the pains were just supersensibility, to touch, and listening, etc...

I've also noticed some previously mild sensations can become unpleasant during meditation (& some other experiences).

very nicely explained the time perception.. really makes sense... it happens also when I take ayahuasca.

I came across this theory on an ayahuasca forum in the writings of redgreenvines; he called it 'framing'. But I think the Buddhism includes a similar concept (which I've unfortunately forgotten the name of :s). In an extreme form, the world can appear to stop. (Or maybe it does stop? This happened to me once, and shocked me so much that I put it out of my mind and didn't mention it to anyone for a decade.)

any way... my next experience will come here some time... so i'll be afraid again....

Practicing equanimity through unpleasant circumstances may help; I think this is one reasons vipassana meditation emphasises it so much. Otherwise reactions to odd experiences & stirred up emotions can prevent progress...

maybe by continuing my ractice the experiences will start to happen more and more often... till the point that I will be more conscious of my fear... if they happen with too much of a space of time between them.. I kind of forget about the eperience of fear...

cheers..