spiraltao

How do I prepare for the utlimate transformation (death)

Will/has my spiritual cultivation always be a part of the SatChitAnanada? I am understanding correctly. I look forward to Monday when I can go looking for those books. Might have to scribd them if they are rare in the least due to a very small collection overall at the local library.

I don't really understand the question but does it make sense if I say that what you are (Self/Atman) is divine and changeless and it is the same Consciousnes that looks out of the eyes of all beings. It's nature is SatChitAnanda but this sometime appears to be veiled. Another word for it is Happiness.

Don't get hung up on books. If they speak to you, cherish them; if they don't, it doesn't matter. The goal is to uncover the inherent Happiness, not to sit in libraries, unless this makes you happy. :)

Through the baguazhang and internal practices, how would they relate to SatChitAnanada?

Sorry, no idea. Perhaps someone else here will be able to translate between Advaita and the Tao? They're both the same as far as I can see but I'm not bilingual. :)

This death subject gets on my mind quite often. Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Death gets on most people's minds and part of it is healthy and part of it is "pathological". You won't lose the normal sense of self-preservation. If life is Happy why not take care of it and enjoy it?

• Like 1

Thanks for explaining more, gatito!

The recurring theme seems to be cultivate virtue, wisdom, body and my understanding of the Tao.

I am not my body, I am that which inhabits it.

I am not my thoughts, they are temporary, like clouds floating across the sky.

I am not my emotions, I acknowledge them and let them settle like waves in pond.

I am not my past.. they are memories and patterns I can choose not to follow

I am not my future..that is just projections

I am not my possessions

I am breath and awareness-I really like this, the lerner.

I am still absorbing.

TTB's here have been a huge help and already I am comprehending some things which I did not before.

• Like 1

Hi Jason!

(I think we briefly met or at least I saw you at DGS in 2nd half of 2011.)

To me, spiritually, the fear of death is connected to a feeling of unfulfillment. Old people that have lived a fulfilled life can face death in a relaxed state, so the fear of death is probably amplified by the idea that we put so much effort into this life and that should not go to waste.

But if you believe in life-surpassing karma, then no effort is wasted. In this life, you are working on your soul for the benefit of future lives.

Apparently, fear of death is also fueled by the mind's urge for self-preservation. That is a kinda unfounded fear of obliteration. Maybe this little mind experiment can help:

You are you, in this life, and you don't want to die. But now imagine that in your past life you were someone else, and that being didn't want to die either. But that being had to die in order to present you with your current life. Now you fear death. But who knows how your next life might be? Do you feel the obstacles in this life are too great? Then they'll probably be easier to overcome in the next life, and that one can only happen after this one ends.

The whole illusion that creates existential fears has to do with forgetting. You are afraid of death because you don't remember your past lives. In your last life, you might have been a person who was absolutely horrified of the thought of dying and who did die in extreme fear and worry. And now you're here and you don't remember any of it. Isn't it hilarious? :lol:

Edited by Owledge
  • Like 1

On Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj:

When somebody who was anxious to know about the date of birth of Maharaj, persisted in asking him about it, Maharaj replied bluntly that he "was never born" - a highly abstruse philosophical statement which most of us cannot understand. Thinking of his declaration deeply, one is led to think that Maharaj referred to the unborn, undying Self [Atman] and not to the body. Anyway, many of his devotees left it at that and did not try to find out the exact date of his birth.

Who is never born can never die.

Taoism:

The Tao has no beginning, no end, no past, no future. If at the highest level of Taoist cultivation we become one with the Tao, I would assume then we would also associate with no real birth or death other than the birth and death of our assumed body.

The best way to realize this state? I wish I had the answers...

The best way to realize this state? I wish I had the answers...

Purging your mind of all deep fears. There are various techniques for doing that.

Using psychedelics can temporarily create a huge leap on that path, but then all that stands in the way of making that state more stable will come to the surface, and then you can try to transcend that stuff. It is a process of conditioning the mind to be able to handle higher truths. Internal alchemy and meditation is a softer way, because it is the mind itself, without external support, that approaches those states.

For what its worth my sister has a fear of death. She faces it by volunteering in a hospice. Modern society separates us from the truth of old age and dying. The best way to know is go deep and participate.

Another answer might be found in dreams.

• Like 3

Purging your mind of all deep fears. There are various techniques for doing that.

Using psychedelics can temporarily create a huge leap on that path, but then all that stands in the way of making that state more stable will come to the surface, and then you can try to transcend that stuff. It is a process of conditioning the mind to be able to handle higher truths.

I've definitely had my fair share psychedelic experiences :lol: Including one very notable occasion in which I went further than I ever dreamed possible. I had absolutely no concept of myself as a human being for around 8 hours. It was a very eye-opening experience to say the least and may have had some beneficial effect of breaking up my ego a little. I've never tried DMT... I hear it may be interesting, but I think those days are pretty much over.. I'm not sure that my experience(s) cured me of any fear of death or fear in general, however. In fact, in that one most notable experience I would become very fearful if anyone one of my "caretakers" at the time would walk more than 5-10 ft away from me, for their body would, part-by-part disappear into a thick background of a dense, computer-graphic Monet painting (for lack of a better description) and I would feel as if I'd be lost forever. I experienced some sort of un-explainable discomfort at times, making nonsense requests of those around me. I could not designate the direction of "up," if that even makes any sense.

Despite it being a very eye-opening experience, really loosening up my dependence on the ordinary reality we are used to through the senses, and showing me an experience I never thought possible, as you say it was only temporary. I'm not sure if I'm currently much closer to the realization experienced by the great adepts. It is my understanding that they had reached a state of detachment from the body that was permanent and existed in a way in which they simultaneously could function as normal human beings.

Internal alchemy and meditation is a softer way, because it is the mind itself, without external support, that approaches those states.

I am very much interested in the path of internal alchemy. I think (and hope) that the experiences like the ones I've read about would do much more towards a better understanding of how life and death fit into reality, and ultimately take me to a level where the fear of death is completely non-existent.

Thanks for the reply Owledge, you definitely got me reminiscing on some crazy old times. :)

Edited by Brooks

bankei - I got onto your link and was surprised by the last paragraph. I have a side of me that could totally do this, a monasterial existence. But another side says to merge back with life, even the parts I've previously transcended.

I am curious - is this your current way of being? Partaking of no sensual pleasures? I would be really interested to talk to one who truly follows this mindset. Or maybe this paragraph pertains solely to the intent to not return as another incarnation?

For me, energy arose,

Unbinding was clearly seen.

There's now no way

I could partake of sensual pleasures.

Having followed the holy life,

I will not return.

Edited by manitou

"How do I prepare for the utlimate transformation (death)"

In medical qigong there is a method for helping people in the dying process.

Personal preparation can involve the simple raising of the energy body vibration to a certain point, then just stepping out of the body when it is time. The sequential method can help with this, the full system completes it.

I have only died twice this lifetime so I don't have much personal experience, but have worked with numerous folks with the clinical qigong method.

Best preparation for someone not willing to learn and practice the internal alchemy? I would say it is a simple conclusion; achieve peace in your life and die with a smile.

• Like 3

"How do I prepare for the utlimate transformation (death)"

In medical qigong there is a method for helping people in the dying process.

Personal preparation can involve the simple raising of the energy body vibration to a certain point, then just stepping out of the body when it is time. The sequential method can help with this, the full system completes it.

I have only died twice this lifetime so I don't have much personal experience, but have worked with numerous folks with the clinical qigong method.

Best preparation for someone not willing to learn and practice the internal alchemy? I would say it is a simple conclusion; achieve peace in your life and die with a smile.

Would love to hear about your experience if you ever felt like sharing.

I met someone who went to a very strict catholic boarding school starting at the age of 4, he said each night the nuns would get the children to bed, give them an apple to eat in bed, and tell them to eat the apple in silence, thinking of a happy death, and go straight to sleep.

I also support reading the Tibetan Book of the Death. It has a lot of mechanics in the process of dying. We can go to a new place without any map or knowledge. But with a map, articles, Google map and street view, we would achieve much more and avoid pitfalls. It would also be useful to properly dispose of your belongings, material or not, beforehand and repay all your debts. It would avoid the urge to look back which often affects the smooth transition in the process.

The Taoists, from my impression, want to defy death to stay as long as possible. In the course, they try to develop a "baby" which can keep all their power, knowledge and experiences for further incarnations.

Amazing. I would also love to hear more about your experiences if you ever felt like sharing. I didn't know that 2 death-experiences was a low number (not that I regularly hear about them, but in my readings...).

I met someone who went to a very strict catholic boarding school starting at the age of 4, he said each night the nuns would get the children to bed, give them an apple to eat in bed, and tell them to eat the apple in silence, thinking of a happy death, and go straight to sleep.

This is interesting... young children thinking of death right before bed? I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to fall asleep! Perhaps, if they're accustomed to the idea at such a young age they get used to it and view death without fear?

I have vivid dreams in which I am dying multiple times per week since I can remember.

I think I've experienced pretty much all the ways a human being could possibly die, haha!

It's no big deal.

• Like 1

I have vivid dreams in which I am dying multiple times per week since I can remember.

I think I've experienced pretty much all the ways a human being could possibly die, haha!

It's no big deal.

A pattern that consistent should be a very good clue for dream analysis, figuring out what it's trying to tell you.

Why do I worry about it? We are all going to die, bet that. I have now stared death down twice and I don't care to admit, it still scares me!

I want to get over this fear of the unevitable. ..

jay, locate the fear .

Ask yourself - if your fear has a place mentally? Has it taken shape physicaly? How does it manifest? When do you feel it the most?

Is it a random , what triggers it? Is there a pattern? If so where does it come from?

Follow your fear to its roots and than consciously change direction digging out new groves in your being by choosing not to act upon it.

Get to know fear and see why, when , how are you acting upon it.

This process is very much like training a pet, it requires a lot of focus and repetition .

• Like 1

This post is about dying. I been thinking about it alot since 09, it is quite hard to keep from it. My huge qigong victory over my liver disease was awesome, but I still wonder about dying. I am NOT talking about giving up on living, no not at all, its just that sometmes (espcially since I got ran over four weeks ago and refused to die under a Ford Ranger), it is counterproductive to me reaching a place of calmness inside.

Why do I worry about it? We are all going to die, bet that. I have now stared death down twice and I don't care to admit, it still scares me!

T

I want to get over this fear of the unevitable.

Forgive me for asking such an ignorant question, but what is the Taoist view on dying? I do think my soul (shen, qi) will continute to exist after my shell has ceased to function.

If this is too abstract I will delete it. All input is welcome, my skin is pretty thick too, so I am ready for no one to hold back.

Training could consists of OBE/Astral Projection from a waking state, not from sleep.

As well as Kundalini awakening and Chi cultivation throughout your life, consistantly.

• Like 1

I wouldn't even know where to begin. :blink:

A pattern that consistent should be a very good clue for dream analysis, figuring out what it's trying to tell you.

• Like 1

For me, How one lives is how one dies!

What makes some believe that they would actually choose a different path upon the bifurcation the last moment in time when throughout time they choose a certain way? If stuff needs changing change it now! To me death is like birth, a transitional moment from one state to the next surrounded by loving beings. To get rid of fear of the inevitable, just accept the peace of the certain with love. Like in life, circumstances present themselves over which one has little control, at most one can choose the attitude one will have... and than makes all the difference! So now what attitude do you choose to live with? How do you prepare to have it throughout circumstances? Something that has helped me involves Imagining taking stuff to the infinite and seeing how it plays out... and eye for an eye can make us all blind or make us all see... depending on wether we take it or give it... If someone slaps you in the face will you respond the invitation to slap them back or will you choose to turn the other cheek? I know many here have the ability to flow with the blow before contact is made to transform it into a loving caress!

We are bound to judge while free to choose how to do it... so choose loving caring merciful ways!

We are bound to love while free to choose what to love... so pick love rather than hate

We are forced to believes while free to choose the beliefs that will enslave us... so select the truth that frees rather than the illusion of freedom...

Know that death will eventually die forevermore... just as life will eventually live forevermore ...

• Like 3

I wouldn't even know where to begin. :blink:

Ask someone who is versed in dream analysis what continuously repeating death experiences in dreams mean.

By the way, if the dreams are really lucid, that would mean that death can't scare you that much, right? Maybe you should try ayahuasca or something like that; Maybe life is telling you to become a shaman. ;)

• Like 2