Green Tiger

Buddha boy grew up

Well... maybe.

A quick search reveals all sorts of questionable details surrounding this story, including considerable money being raised by his followers, the fact that his "fast" is based on his word that he's been fasting, and a recent admission that he was "forced" to beat villagers with a stick and hold them prisoner until they apologized for disturbing him.

I read an interesting book by an Italian anthropologist a few years ago (book written in the '60s, IIRC) about the historical pattern of messianic cults arising among repressed populations, throughout time and across cultures. Remember that, at the time the Buddha Boy story began to spread, Nepal was nearing the end of a violent Maoist revolution or civil war.

Personally, I'm a little suspicious of a buddha who takes PayPal... ;)

Edited by A Seeker

Well... maybe.

A quick search reveals all sorts of questionable details surrounding this story, including considerable money being raised by his followers, the fact that his "fast" is based on his word that he's been fasting, and a recent admission that he was "forced" to beat villagers with a stick and hold them prisoner until they apologized for disturbing him.

I read an interesting book by an Italian anthropologist a few years ago (book written in the '60s, IIRC) about the historical pattern of messianic cults arising among repressed populations, throughout time and across cultures. Remember that, at the time the Buddha Boy story began to spread, Nepal was nearing the end of a violent Maoist revolution or civil war.

Yeah, I certainly can't vouch for his authenticity, but it's an interesting story, nonetheless. I also read that his group recently released some women they were holding captive. Apparently, they broke this woman's arm and nearly starved her to death while she was their prisoner. She and another woman were being held because they were allegedly practicing witchcraft near where the Buddha boy does his thing.

Yeah, I certainly can't vouch for his authenticity, but it's an interesting story, nonetheless. I also read that his group recently released some women they were holding captive. Apparently, they broke this woman's arm and nearly starved her to death while she was their prisoner. She and another woman were being held because they were allegedly practicing witchcraft near where the Buddha boy does his thing.

I agree, very interesting! And his sermon is really nice --but was still something that pretty much anyone on this forum could have penned.

EDIT: I'm really glad you posted it, though, because he's definitely an interesting character AND because I've now started learning all kinds of shit stuff about the histories of Nepal & Bhutan! :)

Edited by A Seeker

Well... maybe.

Personally, I'm a little suspicious of a buddha who takes PayPal... ;)

that story gets more embellished every time I hear it, first they complained that he beat them up, but he freely admitted he slapped them thrice across the face for attempting to manhandled him during meditation.

that story gets more embellished every time I hear it, first they complained that he beat them up, but he freely admitted he slapped them thrice across the face for attempting to manhandled him during meditation.

Maybe it's a case of believe nothing you read and only half of what you see?

I've also found this to be an intriguing story.

In this documentary (if I remember correctly) they seem to film him for 4 days straight without moving much or drinking water, and then they show it in time-lapse:

(part 1)

Based on how things were from the original story (in the documentary-when he was younger), it seemed like his family and devotees were mainly the one handling the money aspect and collecting donations. Perhaps they also run the website?

The story about him slapping people around is interesting. It certainly seems suspicious for someone who preaches non-violence, but it seems hard to confirm the details of what exactly went down and how. I guess we'd have to have been there...

In this transcription of a teaching he gave, he talks about how violence is bad but seems to express frustration that people reduce his life's practice to "mere entertainment." He seems pretty serious about his requests for people to not disturb him in meditation-- as he repeats it a few times. http://www.dharmasangha.org.np/en/News/teachings-given-on-20640417-b-c(20070802-a-d).html

My impression is that he may be at some advanced level and may be on his way to something great, but has not yet achieved full buddhahood, but I'm neither an expert on this guy nor on Buddhism.

Could this be an example of why those who have achieved extraordinary abilities do not want to talk about it or display them to the public? This guy has received a ton of publicity due to his alleged several month meditation/fasting... maybe the attention has just created a huge hassle for him and for his training? Just speculation...

Edited by Brooks

I don't find anything he says to be profound and/or new. Same things that have been taught for a long time imo.

I don't find anything he says to be profound and/or new. Same things that have been taught for a long time imo.

thats because the truth is eternal haha :P:lol:

this buddha boy is pretty boring ya ya... one would expect something profound from a buddha... especially in these dire times - If I was a Buddha WITH 'ALL THE KNOWLEDGE IN THE UNIVERSE'! I would be on rampage mode, get straight to business uno a lot of garbage needs throwing out

not a fan of absolutes either = limits.. unless the absolute truth is there are no limits? ahah

maybe he attracts violence due to his bad karma?

don't believe in karma myself, people are just ****heads sometimes // as they say :lol:

only believe in awakening to ones divine potential and what is necessary to achieve such (as seen by the Great Tao)

which I believe in nothing

other than the desire for such

the universe will do the rest... I don't think we have much of a choice anyway

hmm kind of like the flower bud?

what compels it to open? does the past push or does the future pull? or... i don't know uno haha

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

My impression is that he may be at some advanced level and may be on his way to something great, but has not yet achieved full buddhahood, but I'm neither an expert on this guy nor on Buddhism.

Could this be an example of why those who have achieved extraordinary abilities do not want to talk about it or display them to the public? This guy has received a ton of publicity due to his alleged several month meditation/fasting... maybe the attention has just created a huge hassle for him and for his training? Just speculation...

I was in Nepal at the begging of his meditations in a jungle and at some point just some kilometers away from where he was sitting.

Remeber that he very clearly insisted that he is not a buddha although locals and press insisted on calling him so.

He was a kid/teenager who got strong inspiration to meditate, went into jungle and all he wanted was to sit and be left alone .That is how I understood it. Than at some point he dissapeared from that spot and went somwhere else , as he was getting crowded with large influx of people coming to visit him .

• Like 2

The Buddha reached the highest level of enlightenment, that's pretty much enough. :)

About Palden Dorje, born in the year of the horse, pretty much the oldest souls are reborn under their energy.

Here's an interview with him:

I like his aura :)

• Like 1

also he says 'do not discriminate'

but goes on to say - do not be angry don't not be this don't do that... don't hang out with 'bad company' etc etc

ultimate truth? or ultimate contradiction

also he says 'do not discriminate'

but goes on to say - do not be angry don't not be this don't do that... don't hang out with 'bad company' etc etc

ultimate truth? or ultimate contradiction

Are we talking about Buddhism or just him in general? I don't see how his message is much different from the numerous Rinpoches and such out there.

Aaron

Are we talking about Buddhism or just him in general? I don't see how his message is much different from the numerous Rinpoches and such out there.

Aaron

Both, and hoestly it would be odd if he said anything that significantly different.

Both, and hoestly it would be odd if he said anything that significantly different.

lol right, if he was saying something radical and new i would be worried that he was a fraud

i like his advice

On 2012-6-2 at 3:46 AM, Green Tiger said:

I came across this today of the woman who was held captive and had her arm broken, talking about her experience with Bomjon (Buddha boy) and his sangha. 

• Like 1