So, I've been getting really interested in Bagua lately, partially from some of the DGS threads I've been reading.

I've decided that I want to start studying it. While I'm very interested in what DGS has to offer, I have my doubts about learning a martial art from a DVD.

Have any of you DGS fans learned only from the DVDs? Or have you found teachers to physically correct your movements and postures?

I know there are some Bagua teachers in Houston, but I'm uncertain about my ability to discern whether they're the real deal or not.

So, I've been getting really interested in Bagua lately, partially from some of the DGS threads I've been reading.

I've decided that I want to start studying it. While I'm very interested in what DGS has to offer, I have my doubts about learning a martial art from a DVD.

Have any of you DGS fans learned only from the DVDs? Or have you found teachers to physically correct your movements and postures?

I know there are some Bagua teachers in Houston, but I'm uncertain about my ability to discern whether they're the real deal or not.

ask if you can watch a class

go to as many teachers as there are around

you will be able to tell

you might also post them here and ask for comments

ask if you can watch a class

go to as many teachers as there are around

you will be able to tell

you might also post them here and ask for comments

There aren't too many that I'm aware of, although this is the only list I've really been able to find so far:

http://www.hsing-i.com/teachers/index.html (Just do a ctrl+f for "Texas" to see list).

Didn't recognize any of the names, really.

I suppose that will make quicker work of checking them all out, though. :P

There aren't too many that I'm aware of, although this is the only list I've really been able to find so far:

http://www.hsing-i.c...hers/index.html (Just do a ctrl+f for "Texas" to see list).

Didn't recognize any of the names, really.

I suppose that will make quicker work of checking them all out, though. :P

Looks like there are a few

for tai chi there's a good chen stylist

Do a google on the ones that list pa gua chang

also you may be able to check them out on you tube

Visiting a class - you should be able to go a few times

see how you interact with the teacher

You can ask for feedback here on specific teachers :)

Looks like there are a few

for tai chi there's a good chen stylist

Do a google on the ones that list pa gua chang

also you may be able to check them out on you tube

Visiting a class - you should be able to go a few times

see how you interact with the teacher

You can ask for feedback here on specific teachers :)

Which Chen Tai Chi teacher did you see listed that was good?

I didn't think about checking Youtube, that's a good idea.

I take it from the form of your advice, you would not advise attempting to learn via DVD. :)

Edit: Advise and advice are not the same.

Edited by Cat Pillar

Which Chen Tai Chi teacher did you see listed that was good?

I didn't think about checking Youtube, that's a good idea.

I take it from the form of your advice, you would not advise attempting to learn via DVD. :)

Edit: Advise and advice are not the same.

Learning from a DVD when a live teacher is available is a big mistake IMHO

You need a teacher to observe and correct you.

Only if you have a lot of experience with other forms you might learn from a DVD

This guy looks good - doesn't list Pa gua

Cheng Jin Cai

9730 Town Park Dr., Ste. #116

Houston, TX 77036

(713) 782-7437

Chen Tai Chi

Chi Kung

Here's another one i would check out

George Hu

2206 Woodlake Park Dr.

Houston, TX 77077

(713) 493-3795

Pa Kua Chang

Thanks for you replies! Yeah, it seems that Cheng Jin Cai has a pretty good reputation, and I AM interested in Chen style Tai Chi.

George Hu seems to have a decent rep too, and he's a little closer. Hopefully both schools are still open, as the information I've found so far is a little dated.

I'll have to check them both out and see what resonates. :)

Hi CP,

You could try posting your query here: www.rumsoakedfist.org - lots of knowledgeable people there. I've also just seen this by Frank Allen which might be of interest.

Cheers

Rob

baguazhang is great fun :D each step one takes along the path is a step well taken.

empowering great fun it is.

some of us forest dwelling baguazhangers here in kentucky are always willing to play and share.

it gives us great joy to do so. do drop in sometime.

baguazhang is?

a. martial art

b. medical qigong

c. healing art

d. spiritual art

e. taoist alchemy

f. shamanistic

g. other worldly

h. humbling yet empowering

http://dragongatesanctuary.com/gallery/baguazhang/

i am lucky to have baguazhang friends from 5 different schools. baguazhang is always baguazhang

all of it is useful

I agree completely wth Zero.

As for the best quality schools around this here area, would have to be Richard Clear in Maysville(or Maryville, will check and edit) and the Yin Fu school in Knoxville.

Some guy on youtube learned that my sifu was Scott and immediately told me "ONE OF JOHN NG's STUDENTS IS TEACHING BAK MEI IN CHATTANOOGA"-By this I mean that I am very lucky to have Scotty for a teacher.

I am of no affiliation of these schools.

My teacher is Scott Harris. his youtube channel is scottharrisbranch

Edited by jaysahnztao

My teacher, Dr. John Painter is located in Arlington.

Dale Dugas, it is always great to have a baguazhang artist join in TTB discussion.

welcome.

"As for the best quality schools around this here area, would have to be Richard Clear in Maysville(or Maryville, will check and edit) and the Yin Fu school in Knoxville."

maryville. for the yin fu and clear.

i still favor scotty and ricky B)

• Like 1

lol, me too

just saying that not many peeps got access to Scott or Ricky P. We are super lucky, I know this.

I consider Scott my sifu.

HELLO MR. DUGAS! Cograts on your recent acupuncture success! Nice to see ya here.

Edited by jaysahnztao

"As for the best quality schools around this here area, would have to be Richard Clear in Maysville(or Maryville, will check and edit) and the Yin Fu school in Knoxville."

maryville. for the yin fu and clear.

i still favor scotty and ricky B)

Do Scotty and Ricky have a web site? :)

This is me a couple of years ago, I made this video for a friend of mine to learn the palms, also I was trying to remember the steps...

A question for the baguazhang "players" - how much of baguazhang is spontaneous when your practicing it? Does one learn some palms and fists and then just go for a spontaneous bagua dance, or is there mostly specific sequences to all movments?

Thanks

Let me find a clip about Li Zi Ming where you can see him performing "shen" level Bagua.

Found this interesting video which in the description talks about Youshengong ("swimming body movement" it says) as a qi gong. Is this "shen level"? Swimming Dragon? I would be interested to learn what this means if anybody knows.

Here's the link to the video and description with additional links to videos of more famous internal style grand masters masters, including one of Li ZiMing:

"Thanks old masters for sharing with us Westerners your ancient wisdom. I am deeply thankful, China :):wub: "

ditto, and everyone on this thread is inspiring me, thanks.

all of you guys are invited to come and play here in kentucky. today me and lazy cloud are bagua-ing along the day.

we can always go find scott and ricky. (daily contact) and or bob.

hospitality is assured.

i also will travel for baguazhang. i have nothing better to do, anyways.

steam, thanks for posting the vid.

gerard, as always, thanks. that swimming dragon looks nice.

thankyou also chris matsuo.

Thanks for finding those!

Hi, sorry but that vid. is wushu Bagua :(

Really? She seemed to have had the best teachers around, including Li ZiMing, according to the sub-info. Is it just the performance that makes it wushu, or something about the form(s), or lack of it (maybe)? Could she really be that good with such high level teachers without going 'beyond wushu'?

So, also, what about just taking a bunch of Baguazhang silk reeling and circle walking and improvising the changes. This is frowned upon generally? I guess unless it's part of a spontaneous qi gong, in which case it's not Baguazhang? I'm a jazz musician of various styles, so I can't help but see the silk reeling as sort of "riffs and runs" to use here and there depending on "how the spirit moves you" whereas the forms I guess are more like ballads. It doesn't take an awful long time to get comfortable with the silk reeling patterns, so I'm not sure why people don't break out into their improvisations sooner, just to play around..