jacklantegi

Calling all crystal/gemstone experts!

Hello fellow bums!

Here's a crystal (or rather, gemstone) ball my dad bought some time ago for 500$ or so.

Does anyone know what type of mineral this is?

The pictures were taken with flash, so it very much enhanced the colors, but normally, it is much much darker than what is pictured.

Thanks!

:)

It just came back from a day of bathing in salt water and another day sitting in the sun, so I figure it's fully charged! Hehe.

I just started "working" with crystals... bought a couple dozen different kinds of crystals, and I figured I'd make some use of this one as well. I still have so much to learn (I know virtually nothing).

It weighs a TON... I am eager to find out what kind of properties it has.

Hello fellow bums!

Here's a crystal (or rather, gemstone) ball my dad bought some time ago for 500$ or so. http://imgur.com/a/RFAYL

Does anyone know what type of mineral this is?

The pictures were taken with flash, so it very much enhanced the colors, but normally, it is much much darker than what is pictured.

Thanks!

Not 100% sure from the picture, but it is likely to be chalcedony or even carnelian, in which case its energy can act on jing, facilitating its smoother distribution throughout the body. It can relieve sexual agitation and redirect it to other tasks. Herr Freud would give all his patients one of these if he knew it. :blink:

Very beautiful!

• Like 2

It's called Seminifeor, known as 'Satan's Testicle' (also 'Beelzebub' Left Nut'), and is thought to bring dismal fortune to the bearer. I recommend you chuck it into the Thames at the stroke of midnight on a moonless night, facing away, over your shoulder, whilst whistling 'Danny Boy', lest your best days slip away under a funk of funkeddy-funk-funk-funk.

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth
  • Like 1

Carnelian - Mohs Hardness: 6.5 - Treatment: usually heat treated - Color: Light to dark reddish brown/orange (See also Chalcedony)

Carnelian is also called cornelian. This translucent, reddish orange variety of chalcedony was once thought to still the blood and calm the temper. Its various shades of red are due to the presence of iron oxide. Stones may be uniformly colored or faintly banded.

The best carnelian is from India, where it is placed in the sun to change brown tints to red. Although most carnelian on the market is stained chalcedony from Brazil or Uruguay.

Carnelian relieves sexual tension by redirecting the energy stored in the reproductive center of the body; it may also be used to excite sluggish sexual energy.

Unresolved feelings of anger, hostility, and hatred may be harmonized when carnelian is worn at the heart center, as this stone instills powerful sensations of well-being.

Healing PROPERTIES: Brings good luck, happiness, success, prosperity. Positive influence on mental plane. Increases awareness, improves memory. Cleanses aura. Attracts the Great Masters. Helps settle disputes. Enhances accomplishments. Provides faith. Energizes the blood. Protects against illness. Beneficial for tissue regeneration, infections, and inflammations

If you can't scratch it with an opal, but you can with quartz, it;s probably what you've got If you can't scratch it with quartz, get it appraised!

Really, you think so? I dunno... the google images I get for carnelian doesn't look much like it at all..

Carnelian - Mohs Hardness: 6.5 - Treatment: usually heat treated - Color: Light to dark reddish brown/orange (See also Chalcedony)

Carnelian is also called cornelian. This translucent, reddish orange variety of chalcedony was once thought to still the blood and calm the temper. Its various shades of red are due to the presence of iron oxide. Stones may be uniformly colored or faintly banded.

The best carnelian is from India, where it is placed in the sun to change brown tints to red. Although most carnelian on the market is stained chalcedony from Brazil or Uruguay.

Carnelian relieves sexual tension by redirecting the energy stored in the reproductive center of the body; it may also be used to excite sluggish sexual energy.

Unresolved feelings of anger, hostility, and hatred may be harmonized when carnelian is worn at the heart center, as this stone instills powerful sensations of well-being.

Healing PROPERTIES: Brings good luck, happiness, success, prosperity. Positive influence on mental plane. Increases awareness, improves memory. Cleanses aura. Attracts the Great Masters. Helps settle disputes. Enhances accomplishments. Provides faith. Energizes the blood. Protects against illness. Beneficial for tissue regeneration, infections, and inflammations

If you can't scratch it with an opal, but you can with quartz, it;s probably what you've got If you can't scratch it with quartz, get it appraised!

• Like 1

Really, you think so? I dunno... the google images I get for carnelian doesn't look much like it at all..

Looks like a conglomerate where they set pebbles in resin, then polish. Take a hot rod such as a soldering iron and touch it to an inconspicuous spot and see if it melts in spots.

• Like 1

i have seen that stuff before but i dont remember what its called sorry

its not carnelian or chalcedony or any other commonly known mineral if you ask me

good luck, try sending a picture to a local gem and mineral dealer or shop and see what they say about it

Looking at a picture can be misleading, but I think Cherry Quartz (semi-precious btw) would be the most likely conclusion. You could take it to a jewelry store and ask them, they'd probably be better suited to discerning what it is.

The reason I don't necessarily believe they are Chalcedony or Carnelian is because they tend to be more brownish than red from what I understand. Of course I haven't collected stones since fifth grade, so my identification skills may be off.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

Nah mate, thats no crystal, thats a dragon's egg for sure. Don't keep it too close to the fire / warm all the time or you might come home to some baby dragons that ate your dog.

DJrivh.jpg

Looks somewhat similar to African red granite?

478039.jpg

112012052217183150616.jpg

713_P_1274861127552.jpg

But there's probably a dedicated rock forum out there that you could post your ball on for a good ID..

Hey everyone!

I found out what it is...

..Eudialyte!

Which is absolutely AMAZING, because I live in one of the very few areas of the world where this type of crystal is found in nature. Only, this particular one comes from Russia..

..guess it wanted to visit some friends from overseas!