Sign in to follow this  
idiot_stimpy

My Buddhists workmate

When I found out from my workmate that she was Buddhist, I asked if she did any meditation and what type.

She told me meditation was only for monks and that she only had to follow the five precepts.

She is Thai.

Sounds like a cool coworker. Could always get stuck with a religious fundamentalist who blasts Rush Limbaugh all day.

This is actually very typical for laypeople in the Theravada tradition. If you check out the old Pali suttas as well, laypeople are often just given the simplest instructions, and not expected to meditate, or have any interest in meditation. In other words, if you are a layperson, your traditional role is mostly to make merit by supporting the monastic community.

In East Asian and Tibetan traditions there is little difference between the ideals for monastics and laypeople. This is because Mahayana teachings often do not draw any distinction between the two, and both are expected and encouraged to practice the bodhisattva path, which includes meditation. As a result, meditation is more common and encouraged for laypeople.

I find that very peculiar.

Even if they arent aiming for the highest they could still get a lot of mundane benefits from doing short practice.

Softcore Buddhist :lol:

I wonder who will get to enlightenment first the softcore or the hardcore Buddhist? my bet is on the softcore

Well, how different is that from having a Christian coworker?

Bugs the hell out of me that to one bunch of people we say 'Believe THIS' and then to another bunch we say 'Want to find sh*t out? Do THIS'.

But, apparently, that's what has been done.

---pure speculation on my part opinion alert---

• Like 1

Well, how different is that from having a Christian coworker?

Bugs the hell out of me that to one bunch of people we say 'Believe THIS' and then to another bunch we say 'Want to find sh*t out? Do THIS'.

But, apparently, that's what has been done.

---pure speculation on my part opinion alert---

I do not care what she does. What she does is up to her.

Yes, I was holding onto a belief that Buddhists meditate, and this surprised me when she said meditation was only for monks.

It just goes to show that your personal reality can be shaped with your beliefs that you hold onto.

This is actually very typical for laypeople in the Theravada tradition. If you check out the old Pali suttas as well, laypeople are often just given the simplest instructions, and not expected to meditate, or have any interest in meditation. In other words, if you are a layperson, your traditional role is mostly to make merit by supporting the monastic community.

In East Asian and Tibetan traditions there is little difference between the ideals for monastics and laypeople. This is because Mahayana teachings often do not draw any distinction between the two, and both are expected and encouraged to practice the bodhisattva path, which includes meditation. As a result, meditation is more common and encouraged for laypeople.

Thank you for the explanation.

Sign in to follow this