Sign in to follow this  
GrandTrinity

Life of a Qi Gong teacher

So I was talking to a Wu Dang Qi Gong teacher in Long Island recently, a student of master Tseng who moved from NY to CO.

She teaches 13 classes per week.

It just struck me that if one charges a modest $10 per classes and has only 10 students per class, one could easily make over $50,000 a year and only be "working" some 13 hours per WEEK!

What a life? :lol:

I am always thinking abou the rift between business and research...

Edited by GrandTrinity

So I was talking to a Wu Dang Qi Gong teacher in Long Island recently, a student of master Tseng who moved from NY to CO.

It just struck me that if one charges a modest $10 per classes and has only 10 students per class, one could easily make over $50,000 a year and only be "working" some 13 hours per WEEK!

It's hard to get and retain the students..13 classes a week is alot to fill with 10 students, realistically it's probably more like 2 or 3 students per class. Then you have to pay for the studio time..

T

You've mentioned this a number of times Grand and I'm wondering what you mean?

Is it what sells isn't necessarily what research proves? Or what?

True, I didnt calculate in room costs (although this might only be an issue in winter.)

I think if you master Wu Dang Qi Gong and live in a quite metropolitian area, your would have no probelm retaining his many students: Wu Dang Qi Gong is unlike other Qi Gongs - it is the real deal unlike 99% of the stuff on the market, which is like Winn, Chia, Ducane, NQA people, all that... not that they dont have somethine to offer or are not good to learn, but I find that the most empowering and effective Qi Gong is Wu Dang, be far - meaning authentic, giving rewards and empowerment that keep one practicing...the most, most subtle and effective movements.

As for the rift between research and business?

I think people who are making a living teaching qigong need to unite better and document the benefits (or lack thereof) people are getting. This kind of accountability is KEY for anything in life.

For people to really widely benefit from Qi gong, we simply have to prove its effectivness. Then, insurance companies will pay us to teach people because it will be in their interest to do so. Universities will support research to empower people, everyone will awaken to taking care of their own health rather than relying on other people or death to end their joke of a life which they lost interest in!

I would teach qi gong, but I would feel wrong making a living out of it and charging other people for it. Instead, I would like to be payed to research Chi Gong and teach people because its their birthright to have an emancipated body and mind, free of the limitations of sickness-based medicine.

When I did taijiquan for the hospital I made near that for ten classes. But 40% went to the hospital and then I was advertising at $650 a month. Before expenses I was bringing in about $45,000/year for about 10 hours a week but after expenses it was more like $18,000.

The hot yoga teachers were making more. There was a strange thing in that the more beautiful they were the more money they made. And their students were women too. Odd.

The hot yoga teachers were making more. There was a strange thing in that the more beautiful they were the more money they made. And their students were women too. Odd.

Its not odd. Many women want to BE (or at least FEEL) beautiful like the yoga teacher.

I thought it was odd when I used to look at the magazine racks. On the cover of a men's magazine, you would have beautiful women. On the cover of women's magazine, you have beautiful women. However, the men's material is often more related to attracting/getting the woman, whereas the women's material is more related to becoming the beautiful woman.

I dont think thats odd, very funny but not fully odd. The more pretty woman have better subtle body energy and make the yoga feel more attractive, even if your a woman looking at a hot woman! Obvioust tho.

Darrin, that sounds lilke a sweet job? What do you do for a living? Coulnt be as sweet as teaching tai chi, eh? I wont why you dont do that at a different venue.

Oh yeah, and I would never want to teach at a hosptial, too many ghosts!!!!!!!

Why is it folks begrudge teachers making money but not doctors, ministers, etc?

Money is marketing, not skill.

As for the rift between research and business?

I think people who are making a living teaching qigong need to unite better and document the benefits (or lack thereof) people are getting. This kind of accountability is KEY for anything in life.

For people to really widely benefit from Qi gong, we simply have to prove its effectivness. Then, insurance companies will pay us to teach people because it will be in their interest to do so. Universities will support research to empower people, everyone will awaken to taking care of their own health rather than relying on other people or death to end their joke of a life which they lost interest in!

I would teach qi gong, but I would feel wrong making a living out of it and charging other people for it. Instead, I would like to be payed to research Chi Gong and teach people because its their birthright to have an emancipated body and mind, free of the limitations of sickness-based medicine.

Grand, I've been educated enough to know that your regular tai chi/qigong teacher is in no way prepared to "document" the benefits. I assume somehow you mean doing studies on students. Even an academic outside an academic institute would have a hard time doing so. Accept my paper, I'm with...me.

I also seriously feel this teaching people qigong because it's their birthright is a pipedream too. I once had a prof who said to a student asking why they didn't make our great course mandatory: Can you imagine if people were forced to take this class? Would they accept any of the knowledge? No.

I've taught tai chi/qigong students who pay, as well as students who don't pay (because someone else did for them). Those who don't pay are much like the forced students my prof was talking about. No investement. No commitment.

When I did taijiquan for the hospital I made near that for ten classes. But 40% went to the hospital and then I was advertising at $650 a month. Before expenses I was bringing in about $45,000/year for about 10 hours a week but after expenses it was more like $18,000.

And as an academic Grand, how much will you make a year?

I dont think thats odd, very funny but not fully odd. The more pretty woman have better subtle body energy and make the yoga feel more attractive, even if your a woman looking at a hot woman! Obvioust tho.

Any other woman here offended by the pretty woman better subtle body energy comment?

Though I do agree about the ghosts...bad energy anyway.

Why is it folks begrudge teachers making money but not doctors, ministers, etc?

Money is marketing, not skill.

B) Right on, Buddy!

Darrin, that sounds lilke a sweet job? What do you do for a living? Coulnt be as sweet as teaching tai chi, eh? I wont why you dont do that at a different venue.

I taught in the brand new Oncology building. No ghosts. But the politics, oy! I do drug research for the government now and its not as fulfilling as teaching taijiquan but its less of a hassle. More hours is a good trade because the politics of all those "evolved" people was intense.

Lol dont get me wrong about the subtle body thing, I meant that this is an unconscious function of relatively subtly unconscious people. I love all subtle bodies.

:o That is terrible. Better subtle body energy? Are you just trying to rationalize your ad-culture tainted preference for a certain type of woman?

Most people do only what is convenient. Even if Qigong were proven to prevent say cancer 100% of the time and there was a segment on 20/20 about it, I think most people would change the channel and grab some Doritos even though it is well known that Doritos are death in a shiny wrapper.

Lets face it. There probably won't be any Taoist super team that will save people from themselves. People don't want to be saved. I do believe that Westerners are getting closer to opportunities for true Taoist transmission. But the people who, to whatever extent, "get it" will probably always be in the vast minority.

You need at the very least, the intent, the Karma, the will, the time, the transmission and the Destiny. These are forces rarely aligned in a human being.

Grim reality served fresh daily. Yeesh. I am depressing myself.

Unfortunately you are right.

This is why I want to study education. The education system needs to be reformed so people can at least study whatever they want. I do not mean this as a way for people to slack off, but as a way for people to get access to true teachings which can bring them deeper fulfillment and evolution. I feel this is the only way... of course people are not going to be striving to study this stuff, but if it is presented to them properly they would choose to study the Tao over 99.9 percent of things which are simply not useful or applicable to their life.

Maybe that is a little extreme of a statement, but hey? This is the only way to world peace I think: inner peace.

Yes, studying the Tao can be painful at first, it hurts the ego really bad when you learn and practice the healing sounds... getting over that hump, however, manifests ample rewards which I feel could be scientifically quantified.

Geting paid for services rendered is a good thing but as soon as you are "making a living" at being a Qi Gong Guru you will be taken very seriously by the 33% who are newbies, viewed with some skepitcism by the 33% who have been around a while and seen as a charlatin by the 33% who know.

Well that's stupid. Do you think those percentages hold with ANY other profession? But I guess you're one of those "who know."

Take it easy Buddy, your implying that you "know" when feel like you dont know much if your saying DrQi's statement is "stupid" when I think that is a genius way of looking at this. Qi Gong teaching has nothing to do with "other profesions" anyways, as it is a sacred are and not whatever you do for a living? What do you do? Nevermind, I dont want to know. :lol: Or do I?

...taking five steps back...

Sign in to follow this