DanC

Jing building foods

Chinese systems of health are holistic in nature....you are looking at a very narrow and limited aspect of one's health...better to simply insure that the system as a whole is balanced through proper eating habits.

One simple tip is to eat lots of neutral foods such as organic whole grain foods: Rice, Pasta...etc. My understanding is that they nurture the stomach and thus have a balancing effect on the entire system of internal organs resulting in better overall health.

Though i am sure there are many people on the forum whom know more about Chinese dietetics than me.

-My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen

douglas wile presents a comprehensible list of herbs and vegetables in

41Zhz-fGVgL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

he also specifies the corresponding chinese character. i managed to look some of these up but they have outlandish names. here are some i put together:

-sclerotium poriae cocos (tuckahoe root)

-rhizoma acori graminei (sweetflag rhizome)

-fructus corni officinalis (fruit of asiatic cornelian cherry)

-radix trichisanthis

-semen cuscutae (codder seeds)

-radix achyranthis bidentatae

-hallosytum rubrum

I'm going to consider jing herbs in the context of helping the kidneys and liver.

So:

Eucommia bark, tongkat ali <-big time. Tongkat ali for men.

We can build our Jing through food, herbs, qigong etc etc, food is another way to increase our vitality, my question is why not food??

We can build our Jing through food, herbs, qigong etc etc, food is another way to increase our vitality, my question is why not food??

my understanding is that "you are what you eat"

So if you want longevity eat foods like ginger 1000s years?

Or fruit / vegetables from trees

Herbs

some Taoist texts I have read recommend a very simple and LIGHT diet

fresh mountain herbs, pure water and air (near impossible today?) - suggest growing your own + purifying your water as for air..hmm

Ive read other accounts of eating tree sap?

some say rice some not < go unrefined brown organic?

stay away from gluten, diary and processed foods if you can

My personal experience is food does influence ones mind _ emotional state

Intention is fine is you a adept yogi master or the like

but for beginners like myself its good to work with things rather than against I believe

I have read accounts of monks drinking poison and eating LCD to no effect - mind over matter

but I wouldn't suggest that

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

meat is disgusting

compassion? anyone?

you do not need meat to live

quite the opposite really

I don't crave them (unlike sugary foods), but I get deeply satisfied when I eat'em. Avocados. Highly nutritious, and full of good fats.

Michael's Great Green Shake

Put in personal size blender

1/2 avocado (or whole)

1/2 banana

handful spinach (or kale or lettuce etc)

milk - couple of ounces, any kind so it'll mix properly

sweetener a teaspoon or so. I like agave syrup, it mixes well & has fruit taste.

couple drops of vanilla.

If nothing's frozen, put in a few ice cubes, its nice to have frozen banana halves in the freezer. Blend til the green color is uniform. No spinach taste, instead its like a thick vanilla milk shake.

Edited by thelerner

I don't crave them (unlike sugary foods), but I get deeply satisfied when I eat'em. Avocados. Highly nutritious, and full of good fats.

Michael's Great Green Shake

Put in personal size blender

1/2 avocado (or whole)

1/2 banana

handful spinach (or kale or lettuce etc)

milk - couple of ounces, any kind so it'll mix properly

sweetener a teaspoon or so. I like agave syrup, it mixes well & has fruit taste.

couple drops of vanilla.

If nothing's frozen, put in a few ice cubes, its nice to have frozen banana halves in the freezer. Blend til the green color is uniform. No spinach taste, instead its like a thick vanilla milk shake.

Frozen / ice cubes puts out your fire :)

Edited by mYTHmAKER

meat is disgusting

compassion? anyone?

you do not need meat to live

quite the opposite really

We aren't talking about moral choices, which would be to say, not eat meat as a compassionate thing for animals.

But what builds jing.

If animals weren't meant to be eaten, why are they so tasty?

B)

But really, I don't care about your opinions around vegetarianism/omnivorism.

John

• Like 3

Frozen / ice cubes puts out your fire :)

Hmnn, well a couple in with luke warm ingredients cools it off pleasantly, keeping the fire alive. More and its a pleasant milk shake, fire be damned.

I read that unadulterated spring water was the best.

I like my spring water the way I like my woman, adulterated.

There is a cool site that lists natural springs across the country, some in unlikely places. Many are reviewed and have people who'll fanatically go there each week to fill up. It was mentioned somewhere on the bums. This summer I think I'll road trip to find a few and bring home liquid gold (or at least have a good hike).

We aren't talking about moral choices, which would be to say, not eat meat as a compassionate thing for animals.

But what builds jing.

If animals weren't meant to be eaten, why are they so tasty?

B)

But really, I don't care about your opinions around vegetarianism/omnivorism.

John

ok, I could have addressed things better - that is true

sorry for my foolishness

From my research on nutrition and health, it seems that the quote "variety is the spice of life" really holds up - eat a lot of different foods! not just one thing

Veggies of all colors, lots of different fruits and nuts, cut down on grains (a lot of Daoist texts say that avoiding grains makes people lighter not just physically but mentally as well), dairy, and meat. You can still eat meat, but it seems like eating it a lot can have negative side effects - the healthiest is to eat it seldom but always grass-fed/organic variety.

good luck friend. I am trying to improve my diet now as well (and now that I'm not surrounded by junk food its a lot easier to not pig out on pizza and cookies lol)

No idea if this works or not...but just FYI:

Truth Calkins' Jing City With Lucuma

JingCityJar16oz-2T.jpg?1329833807

This powdered formula is designed for maximum deep jing replenishment. It lives up to the grand philosophy and potential of jing herbs. It is a gift to all those seeking longevity, vitality and inner-power...

What Is "Jing"?

Jing is the Taoist philosophical concept of our core ancestral life-force. In modern parlance, jing is like the body's battery. It determines our strength, healing power, reproductive potential and longevity. Jing is believed to be able to bring life-force back into an energy depleted body. By using herbs that have been revered by Taoists for centuries, one can recharge the primal essence.

What Is Jing City?

Jing City is an advanced recipe of Chinese kidney tonic herbs created and refined through years of Truth Calkins' tonic bar practice and relentless study. To the Chinese herb blend, he added a few purposeful Superfoods, resulting in an amazingly smooth and delicious espresso-like tonic.

One of the ingredients, Black Shilajit, is an important potentiator, an ojas-nourishing super-substance from the Himalayas which magnifies the power of the jing herbs when used in hot tea.

Initially Jing City is calming. It stops all stress, allowing the jing to download and replenish; an hour later you can start to feel the inner-power... much as if you have had several hours sleep and are fully charged to take on life!

Jing City is considered by Truth Calkins to be his best formula ever. It is the culmination of over ten years of intensive study and hands on experience with tonic herbs!

SPECIFICATIONS:

Ingredients: Dandy Blend (roasted barley, rye, chicory root, dandelion root, and beet root), Organic Lucuma, He Shou Wu, Morinda, Cistanche, Eucommia, Rehmannia, Cordyceps, Bupluerem & Dragon Bone, Shilajit, and Himalayan Crystal Salt