Basher

The Yin Yang Symbol

Negative is a relative term. Like your relative use of an inverted, upsidedown T'ai chi T'u avatar,...it says much about you.

Because most of our society is asleep, everything is viewed upside down and inside out. For example, they display the T'ai chi T'u symbol arbitrarily. The T'ai chi T'u, or yin-yang, is a well-known symbol that shows dualities' two primal forces that is simultaneously opposing and complimentary. Although this symbol represents the rhythm of duality within the universe and thus can be viewed in motion, there is a correct, meaningful way to display it statically,...a way that honors The Tao. Within the realm of form, the yin, or dark, feminine energy should be located on the left, with its bright eye upward at the top, whereas yang, the bright, masculine energy, should be on the right, downward with its dark eye at the bottom of the pattern. Viewing or displaying the T'ai chi T'u any other way obscures the correct nature of duality. Duality's reality is not a personal reality.

A correctly presented T'ai chi T'u can unfold the totality of Who's Who in Duality.

If you need a visual,...click on my avatar, and study the logo on my profile.

V

I copied VMarko's post from my Hidden Agenda thread, as I'm interested to know / learn more about the ubiquitous "Yin Yang" symbol. :ninja:

The image used for my Avatar was (if incorrect) used by me in total ignorance. :rolleyes::blush:

Not for some "negative" or anarchic (?) reason...

But having trawled the mighty web for a couple of days, I've seen all manner of differing Yin Yangs :excl:

Is Vm correct in their assertion ?

Is only one Yin Yang layout correct ?

Thanks

Basher

Edited by Basher

It's also helpful to know that "yin yang symbol" is actually called Taiji

Since there's a martial art named after it, it's a pain to look for it with other that 'yin yang symbol' name

Korean name for Taiji is Taegeuk, look that up

JOIN THE KOREAN SIDE OF THE FORCE

Someone had a really nice avatar showing a 3D yin yan symbol turning and transforming, white to black to white etc., the white/black dot circled and flowed through. Mesmerizing and I think there was some truth in its imagery of how yin and yang flow into each other.

Nature paces itself, flipping yin and yan over and over.

Now is it just different writing systems, or is it incorrect to call it the Tai Chi symbol as done in that link?

I thought the system is called Tai Chi and the symbol is called Taiji. But sometimes I also see people call the system Taiji.

Now is it just different writing systems, or is it incorrect to call it the Tai Chi symbol as done in that link?

I thought the system is called Tai Chi and the symbol is called Taiji. But sometimes I also see people call the system Taiji.

These are just different systems of romanization -- tai chi is Wade-Giles (which went before) and taiji is Pinyin (developed later). Modern translations use Pinyin, older books use Wade-Giles, still older ones something third (don't remember what it's called). However, some crucial Chinese notions are occasionally spelled in the Wade-Giles tradition even in the otherwise Pinyin settings -- and example is "tao," which is Wade-Giles, and which would be "dao" in Pinyin. I've learned Pinyin spelling but I still prefer "tao." On the other hand, having had more exposure to Pinyin than to Wade-Giles, I prefer taijiquan to tai chi chuan, and qigong to chi kung. :)

I copied VMarko's post from my Hidden Agenda thread, as I'm interested to know / learn more about the ubiquitous "Yin Yang" symbol. :ninja:

The image used for my Avatar was (if incorrect) used by me in total ignorance. :rolleyes::blush:

But having trawled the mighty web for a couple of days, I've seen all manner of differing Yin Yangs :excl:

Thanks

Basher

The longest-standing traditional way (I've seen it in museums in China, on all kinds of objects) is to depict yang with its head on top, yin with its head on the bottom, because that's the illustration of their primary inherent attributes -- whatever you're dealing with, if it has an "up" and a "down," a "top" and a "bottom" to it, then its yang moves upward and its yin moves downward. Then far as left or right sides are concerned, if the direction of motion is "unfolding outward," it's clockwise, so you would place yang on the right, and if the direction is "folding inward," you would place yang on the left to signify return. So, basically, you can encode your intent via depicting the symbol this way or that. If you place yin on top and yang on the bottom, you mean "going against the flow" (only a good idea in a very precise alchemical setting). If you place yin on the right, you mean "I've had enough of this world." And so on. The oldest depictions I've seen carved in stone can have both symbols swimming side by side, intertwining and swirling, and even detailed like a pair of fishes chasing each other's tails or a pair of snakes making out.

Thanks

Basher

As usual vmarco is wrong...you are fine. don't worry about it...as long as yin and yang are flowing smoothly you are okay :)

As usual vmarco is wrong...you are fine. don't worry about it...as long as yin and yang are flowing smoothly you are okay :)

Hey! Why 'as usual'? :lol:

Basher

The Taijitu or T'ai chi T'u can be depicted in many arbitrary ways, but only one way, in a clockwise position, with "form" or condensed yang/light primarily on the bottom right, and "empty" or diluded yin/dark on the top left, is useful in explaining the nature of all phenomena. Through that Taijitu all can be explained.

All the arbitrary depictions are for aesthetics,...and do not point to the nature of Tao and Yin and Yang's harmonic balanced interchange.

V

I like my Taijiarchy avatar :lol:

Vmarco has some interesting info if he'd (please) share :D

You should also.

V

To add to what I've already written, I've been taught to draw the taiji symbol with my body as a warm-up silk-reeling practice by my taiji teacher, and for meditation by one of my taoist teachers. So every way I do it can have a meaning to it, and the meaning transpires through practice. You can get funky with it, e.g. rotate the taiji in your dantien clockwise while going counterclockwise with your hands (generating the kind of peng that can cause your opponent in a martial setting the very confusion of senses that is the hallmark of taijiquan "tricks"). But beginners are only asked to trace the symbol with their hands while shifting the weight accordingly. Anyone trained in the empty-full distinctions of weight distribution in taiji will know exactly what is going where when yin and yang play with each other. That's the deal with all taoist stuff -- none of it can be resolved in the head to any satisfaction, practice makes it perfectly clear though.

What I was taught is that Yin Yang symbol incorporates several layers of reality. One of it, the most accessible to common people is the Loshu diagram

So according to this energy map, yang/white should be left side with biggest part rising to the top (9) depicting rising energy and black part on the right side with biggest part descending to bottom(1)

What I was taught is that Yin Yang symbol incorporates several layers of reality. One of it, the most accessible to common people is the Loshu diagram

So according to this energy map, yang/white should be left side with biggest part rising to the top (9) depicting rising energy and black part on the right side with biggest part descending to bottom(1)

This is half the map. Here's the other half:

Hetu arrangement will be used in some alchemical, martial, and healing practices and, exclusively, in yin feng shui.

The taijitu can be traced back to a sort of binary calculator that is used in creating the 64 hexagrams.

In the center is one yin and one yang, which i will represent arbitrarily as a 1 and a 0

in the center is 1|0

Then to split them, we have:

1|1--0|1

....1|0....

0|1--0|0

Or, when viewed from a center-out, top left to bottom right (ignoring the center) 1|1, 0|1, 1|0, 0|0

Again each is split.

and then, the calculation is from the inside out, following a pattern:

0|0|0

0|0|1

0|1|0

0|1|1

1|0|0

1|0|1

1|1|0

1|1|1

... 1,0-----0,0

1,1--1,1--0,1--0,1

..........1|0..........

1,0--0,1--0,0--0,1

... 1,1-----0,0

And lo, the trigrams. we're halfway there.

A picture was posted around some time between january and march that showed this as a circular depictation of the process, which is easier to read.

As for form, i am still learning, function, however, suggests that each representation of the symbol would mean something different, though i am trying to understand why V Marco favors the "one true representation", his info is somewhat daunting.

Edited by Hot Nirvana Judo Trend

Well, I don't understand what you are writing. You have only rotated the luoshu grid.

To me, Hetu is this:

83 stands for Wood (Xiao Yang)

72 stands for Fire (Tai Yang)

49 stands for Metal (Xiao Yin)

16 stands for Water (Tai Yin)

Four%20Images%20and%20Hetu.gif

And indeed Hetu explains all the more why Yin Yang symbol should have white on left and black on right.

As for every energetic practice both are used for different levels ( hetu/Xian tian and luoshu/Hou Tian).

At least this is what I understood.

EDIT: sorry my Hetu cross doesn't show up properly.Don't know how to fix it.

EDIT 2: I have inserted an image

Edited by hieronimus

To add to what I've already written, I've been taught to draw the taiji symbol with my body as a warm-up silk-reeling practice by my taiji teacher, and for meditation by one of my taoist teachers. So every way I do it can have a meaning to it, and the meaning transpires through practice. You can get funky with it, e.g. rotate the taiji in your dantien clockwise while going counterclockwise with your hands (generating the kind of peng that can cause your opponent in a martial setting the very confusion of senses that is the hallmark of taijiquan "tricks"). But beginners are only asked to trace the symbol with their hands while shifting the weight accordingly. Anyone trained in the empty-full distinctions of weight distribution in taiji will know exactly what is going where when yin and yang play with each other. That's the deal with all taoist stuff -- none of it can be resolved in the head to any satisfaction, practice makes it perfectly clear though.

Exactly,...it's not about the "head",...and yet, meditation is all about the "head." LOL

As for form, i am still learning, function, however, suggests that each representation of the symbol would mean something different, though i am trying to understand why V Marco favors the "one true representation", his info is somewhat daunting.

The symbol can be displayed any arbitrary why one wishes,...there is no "one true representation." However, there is only one representation that explains how all phenomena was birthed from One. To me, this would be the best representation because it offers a complete understanding of the Mysterious Mother.

Unfortunately, there are so many upsidedown theories, that a taste of the actual Yin-Yang must be acquired from another source before the superior Taijitu is recognized. For example, the difference between Undivided Light and divided light,...and the harmonic balanced interchange within divided light.

V

Edited by Vmarco

Hieronimus, thanks for your thoughts and the image.

Well, I don't understand what you are writing. You have only rotated the luoshu grid.

The jiugongtu was identified as Hetu by the famous taoist Chen Tuan as far back as the 10th century. What I posted is not a rotated Luoshu, it's a version of Hetu -- with yin at the top and to the left of yang, unlike in the Luoshu jiugongtu where yin is at the bottom and to the right of yang on top. (since you proposed simplicity for the common person -- if we have any such here :lol: -- nothing is simpler to see than the yin-yang configuration of the jiugongtu, since a 6 stands for yin and a 9 stands for yang. Just look! :))

Exactly,...it's not about the "head",...and yet, meditation is all about the "head." LOL

Um... you need to ask for your money back from the teacher(s) who told you this.

What I posted is not a rotated Luoshu, it's a version of Hetu -- with yin at the top and to the left of yang (...)

I must be blind..:), or more probably lacking some key informations :(

Although I can see how Luoshu can be obtained from Hetu, I can't see why the arrangement you posted can be Hetu.

Here is how I see it:

if you rotate it clockwise you obtain:

Then again, same procedure:

This is the arrangement you posted.

So to me it is just the Luoshu rotated, the same way taijitu can be rotated so that white part can be on the right and black on the left but it doesn't change the internal layout.

So if you care to share, please enlighten me on this

Thanks