Sign in to follow this  
kentucker4

Chi blockage.....help!

Hey everyone...I have been practicing Qigong along with Kungfu for the last 2 months or so....began Kungfu almost 4 months ago but Qigong about 2 months ago. I was doing very good with tyhe qigong but decided to go on a drinking binge last 2 wednesdays ago....why is this significant?

Because i was addicted to Benzos...Ativan for a sleep problem for a year and a half and going off of it was hell even though i tapered off. I stopped 5 months ago but am not fully recovered yet and drinking always sets my progress bvack. Well, i had uncleared my blockages with qigong but after the drinking binge it has not been so great.

Last Friday I did qigong and felt pretty good afterwards but went to a chinese doctor here in Taiwan because i hadn't been sleeping good....this was right after qigong practice....he inserted three needles in the crown of my head and some more in my neck...after he did that, i felt very weird and spacey headed the entire day and saturday morning...

saturday after noon i felt like fire was deep inside me especially my back tickling my entire body and it was powerful feeling...overwhelking it scared the crap out of me i felt very weird and sick...i panicked and took some more ativan not much....and calmed down but still felt the strong energy deep inside my body ticking the insides of my bones especially my lower back...so i didn't practice anyhting on sunday and felt normal this mornbing but gave in and practiced qigong this morning and again go the same spacey head feeling...no mental clarity...and still have the feeling tonight as i type this..its a really bad feeling...

so now i am not practciing tomorrow until this fades...my question is how to i prtevent this feeling or intense mental fog and disorientation? i know its related to my gaba receptors healing from the dirnking and the ativan...but before i went on that drinking binge i felt like superman after qigong practice and saw everything in slow motion with intense mental clarity...it was awesome.......

now i feel ;like i am stuck in mud after qigong....i only praqcticed today for 3o mintues holding my dantien and breathing in and out 6 secondes each imagine a rope of energy following my breathe down to my dantien..and then the same style only with my arms in a cirlcle position moving up to my head with palms up and down to dantien with palms down...this one is always strong feeling to me....should i slow down my practice??? i feel like that chinese doctor really messed with my system........

even after the drinking binge right before i went to him i didn;t have the intense spaceyt feeling...it bagan right after he put those damn needles in my head...

Edited by kentucker4

Hey everyone...I have been practicing Qigong along with Kungfu for the last 2 months or so....began Kungfu almost 4 months ago but Qigong about 2 months ago. I was doing very good with tyhe qigong but decided to go on a drinking binge last 2 wednesdays ago....why is this significant? Because i was addicted to Benzos...Ativan for a sleep problem for a year and a half and going off of it was hell even though i tapered off. I stopped 5 months ago but am not fully recovered yet and drinking always sets my progress bvack. Well, i had uncleared my blockages with qigong but after the drinking binge it has not been so great. Last Friday I did qigong and felt pretty good afterwards but went to a chionese doctor here in Taiwan because i hadn't been sleeping good....this was right after qigong practice....he inserted three needles in the crown of my head and some more in my neck...after he did that, i felt very weird and spacey headed the entire day and saturday morning...saturday after noon i felt like fire was deep inside me especially my back tickling my entire body and it was powerful feeling...overwhelking it scared the crap out of me i felt very weird and sick...i panicked and took some more ativan not much....and calmed down but still felt the strong energy deep inside my body ticking the insides of my bones especially my lower back...so i didn't practice anyhting on sunday and felt normal this mornbing but gave in and practiced qigong this morning and again go the same spacey head feeling...no mental clarity...and still have the feeling tonight as i type this..its a really bad feeling...so now i am not practciing tomorrow until this fades...my question is how to i prtevent this feeling or intense mental fog and disorientation? i know its related to my gaba receptors healing from the dirnking and the ativan...but before i went on that drinking binge i felt like superman after qigong practice and saw everything in slow motion with intense mental clarity...it was awesome.......now i feel ;like i am stuck in mud after qigong....i only praqcticed today for 3o mintues holding my dantien and breathing in and out 6 secondes each imagine a rope of energy following my breathe down to my dantien..and then the same style only with my arms in a cirlcle position moving up to my head with palms up and down to dantien with palms down...this one is always strong feeling to me....should i slow down my practice??? i feel like that chinese doctor really messed with my system........even after the drinking binge right before i went to him i didn;t have the intense spaceyt feeling...it bagan right after he put those damn needles in my head...

Welcome and please write with paragraphs and take a deep breath :)

If you will re read your post, Kentucker, then your answers are there. Key words:Drinking Binge, benzos.

I don't have any experience to comment on the acupuncture.

I can tell you though, the alcohol and benzos are only illusions, temporary footholds and without giving them up, completely or at least just taking them as perscribed, you are spinning your wheels, IMHO.

I have been through this horrible cycle and until one embraces change and faces fears it will continute to cycle, what a vicious cycle it is!

\

• Like 2

You are going through purification.

Important thing is to take it slow, be kind to yourself, drink plenty water, eat nourishing foods, dont attch to the transient symptoms of energy clearing out of your system.

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies.

I am not touching alcohol again...and certainly no benzos...i only need to take a benzo if i slip up and drink too much and my nervous system goes haywire.

So given that I never drink again....how should i go about my practice? I feel like i need to take one week off to allow the blockage to clear up. Is this too much time off?? I just hate feeling dopey headed and sick when i have to work 6 days a week and be very focused and jovial acting at my job.

I hate to take that much time off from practice because i love Kungfu and always practice qigong at least 5 days a week if not 6 or 7........it usually makes me feel euphoric and nice and slow after i practice....that is why this weird feeling after practice is so concerning.....i feel like i may have finally found what i have been searching for my entire life (kungfu) and the thought of quitting or even just slowing down is depressing. How many days a week should I practice until this problem clears up????

I'm not doctor, but I'd say just be sure to drink lots of orange juice to get plenty of Folate.

Alcohol destroys folate which is what causes some of the disconnect in the nervous system after a binge drinking. Folate basically connects the nervous system and receptors, so when you binge drink, the next morning your nervous system is weak because there is no folate to make the connections so you feel off.

I'd also suggest drinking green tea before qi gong as it can help the practice, in my experience.

You might look into a safe detox tea as well. Just do be careful of mixing herbs with prescription medications or pre-existing medical conditions. The Chinese doctor might prescribe some other herbs or something better if you give him all the details you've mentioned.

Thanks for the replies.

I am not touching alcohol again...and certainly no benzos...i only need to take a benzo if i slip up and drink too much and my nervous system goes haywire.

So given that I never drink again....how should i go about my practice? I feel like i need to take one week off to allow the blockage to clear up. Is this too much time off?? I just hate feeling dopey headed and sick when i have to work 6 days a week and be very focused and jovial acting at my job.

I hate to take that much time off from practice because i love Kungfu and always practice qigong at least 5 days a week if not 6 or 7........it usually makes me feel euphoric and nice and slow after i practice....that is why this weird feeling after practice is so concerning.....i feel like i may have finally found what i have been searching for my entire life (kungfu) and the thought of quitting or even just slowing down is depressing. How many days a week should I practice until this problem clears up????

It seems to me that you are very confused about your thoughts in your Chi Kung practice. IMO You should not stop your practice at all. As I said before, the weird feeling that you are going through was the Chi sensation(氣感) from the healing process. It is the worse nightmare from the healing process. Now, it is a painful time for you to endure the period of healing. The question is can you handle it...??? Please don't give up... ;)

I'm not giving up but i also don't want to lose my sanity. I am just want to wait for my nervous system to heal a little first.

I'm not giving up but i also don't want to lose my sanity. I am just want to wait for my nervous system to heal a little first.

I understand that you are not giving up. However, to the best of my knowledge, there is nothing wrong with your nervous system. It is because your NS was only reacting normally in accord to the Chi Sensation. If the weird feeling bothers you too much, then you should just practice it moderately in a shorter interval. No one can tell you how many days you should practice in a week. You should experiment on your own to see what works for you. Perhaps do Chi Kung every other day or shorter period or whatever.

I understand that you are not giving up. However, to the best of my knowledge, there is nothing wrong with your nervous system. It is because your NS was only reacting normally in accord to the Chi Sensation. If the weird feeling bothers you too much, then you should just practice it moderately in a shorter interval. No one can tell you how many days you should practice in a week. You should experiment on your own to see what works for you. Perhaps do Chi Kung every other day or shorter period or whatever.

But my nervous system is currently weak because it is still reeling from my drinking session. Maybe you are right...I could just try and push through it. Everything was fine until i visited that Chinese doctor.

Do you have any idea of why i git so messed up feeling when he put the needles in the crown of my head? Everything was fine until he did that.

But my nervous system is currently weak because it is still reeling from my drinking session. Maybe you are right...I could just try and push through it. Everything was fine until i visited that Chinese doctor.

Do you have any idea of why i git so messed up feeling when he put the needles in the crown of my head? Everything was fine until he did that.

He may not know what kind of symptom that you are having. It seems that he might activated the wrong acupoint instead of deactivating the proper one. Have you gone back and told him about this problem...???

He may not know what kind of symptom that you are having. It seems that he might activated the wrong acupoint instead of deactivating the proper one. Have you gone back and told him about this problem...???

No, not to the same doctor. I am worried he will do something similar again. He is very young...i find the older ones are better. TCM doctors are a dime a dozen here in Taiwan.

What about qigong phychosis???

That is my biggest fear with qigong because i have an OCD problem where i always think disturbing thoughts ...especially if my nervous system is weak. Is that a real thing to worry about? I keep reading about stories in china and such of people practicing for a a year or so and going crazy. That is why these symptoms scare me so much.

Edited by kentucker4

No, not to the same doctor. I am worried he will do something similar again. He is very young...i find the older ones are better. TCM doctors are a dime a dozen here in Taiwan.

What about qigong phychosis???

That is my biggest fear with qigong because i have an OCD problem where i always think disturbing thoughts ...especially if my nervous system is weak. Is that a real thing to worry about? I keep reading about stories in china and such of people practicing for a a year or so and going crazy. That is why these symptoms scare me so much.

Do not go to the young ones nor walk in to a stranger to treat you. You should ask around to find a more reputable one. It is true that the older ones have more experiences. However, you should stay with one and only one that you are really trust.

People are going crazy are only from the stories told by ignorant ones. You must have confidence in yourself to stay away from any fallacy. There are more positive facts about Chi Kung than the negatives. Indeed, you had said so yourself that Chi Kung Practice helps you in some way.

There is an old saying: If you don't trust them, then don't hire them. If you have hired them, then trust them.

So you are saying the stories are all fake??? No one has ever lost it from qigong? I heard hospitals in China have entire departments devoted about this.

About the doctors, I just assumed that if they are registered doctors then they all must be good.

Qigong psychosis is very real. Thats why its important to study and practise under an accomplished teacher. You shouldnt worry about it much though, it can be avoided from the outset if the front channel is developed and you learn to ground and bring qi back down from the head and store it in the LTT. Always perform qigong very naturally in a calm and relaxed manner (and do not overdo it). There is no rush to attain anything. The soul is already immortal; its just a question of coming to recognize it gradually. Then the body follows. Moving qi is just the means by which you can make calm the dynamic qi and come to rest in stillness (perceive the qi as static).

Edited by goldenfox
  • Like 1

Qigong psychosis is very real. Thats why its important to study and practise under an accomplished teacher. You shouldnt worry about it much though, it can be avoided from the outset if the front channel is developed and you learn to ground and bring qi back down from the head and store it in the LTT. Always perform qigong very naturally in a calm and relaxed manner (and do not overdo it). There is no rush to attain anything. The soul is already immortal; its just a question of coming to recognize it gradually. Then the body follows. Moving qi is just the means by which you can make calm the dynamic qi and come to rest in stillness (perceive the qi as static).

I agree it's real and that it CAN be avoided.

In my case, not all of it was avoided but I can't say whether that was a plus or a minus. The 'general' advice to cultivators is to find a 'cultivation-friendly' acupuncturist/physician/psych/shaman whoever-person. I don't reckon a TCM is automatically going to be aware of qi-progression because he or she is 'TCM'. Did you tell the acupuncturist you were cultivating? I never told mine, aside from 'I meditate'. I wonder if your TCM would have used the same treatment had they known.

I can't speak to the substances but I do recall (and have retained a bit) suddenly much greater sensitivity to pretty much everything. My ability to drink was seriously impeded because that produced too many bubbles and rushes and tingles that I didn't find pleasant. Like I could feel the sugar metabolizing and the muscles doing stuff in reaction.

I remember Santiago and co mentioning a temporary worsening of 'crap tendencies' in the KAP process. Now I speculate that one's false self may do a bunch of things to one if it feels itself threatened. Yes, this includes upping risky behaviour. I did take GABA supplements at the very beginning. It seemed to help and then not help so I stopped. I found heart-centered meditations very cooling:-)

1. So you are saying the stories are all fake??? No one has ever lost it from qigong? I heard hospitals in China have entire departments devoted about this.

2. About the doctors, I just assumed that if they are registered doctors then they all must be good.

1. There were speculations that Chi Kung practitioners, at higher level, which can direct Chi from meridian to meridian. However, there is a possibility that Chi can be directed to the wrong meridian and cause serious problem. Fortunately, this is not something that can be done by a beginner. Thus there will be a remote chance of getting injury for a novice.

2. That was not a good assumption.

1. There were speculations that Chi Kung practitioners, at higher level, which can direct Chi from meridian to meridian. However, there is a possibility that Chi can be directed to the wrong meridian and cause serious problem. Fortunately, this is not something that can be done by a beginner. Thus there will be a remote chance of getting injury for a novice.

2. That was not a good assumption.

Well, i practiced Qigong yesterday afternoon and felt high as a kite (in a bad way) almost all day today and last night. Now I am feeling better.

I have noticed that qigong brings my mental problems up for me to face and i don't like that because it is pretty intense and scary. For example, i have always had an OCD problem and think horrible thoughts at time that i don't want to think.......like other people close to me dying or the thought of me losing it and hurting someone for example.

The qigong has been bringing these horrible thoughts up left and right lately to the point where i feel really really bad about myself........and also my behavior and desires get more intense at times....i always used to chase women a lot...but lately after qigong i become obessesed with the idea of hooking up with some random girl......to the point where i feel like i am not in control.......it is making me face all of these dilemmas deep inside my brain.....so i am just going to take this really really slow..........also last Saturday.....at the train station...i felt really messed up and had this sensation that there is a another reality co-existing with ours that we cant see and that i could almost step through this world into that world. Am I supposed to be having all this cray stuff only 2 months into practice???

But also what is weird is that I didn't have any of these intense sensations or problems until after i visited that Chinese doctor.

Before i went on that drinking binge and visited that doctor....my qigong practice was nothing but positive and I felt great afterwards and would even use it to get better if i felt bad that day.

Edited by kentucker4

Weeeell, it's IMO/IME kind of difficult to say "I did this and I did that" and it resulted in a causal combination of stuff I personally do not wish to take on at this point. Personally, I find this one the harder/weirder of the experiences of path/meditation. It xplodes 'causality' to some extent - although not all. I can still kick shit.

I mean you (me, we, whoever) are doing these things (whether they be 'practices' or behaving this way or that way or smoking or drinking or exercising or screwing or walking or thinking or mediating or eating for that matter). And you (me, we, whoever) have also done these thing in the past (wherever that might be situated in time/space) and that results (perhaps) in our present for ourselves or others. The latter I'm quite sure of. The actual mechanisms of it, not sure at all although we do our best to formalize (I happen to prefer 5E system theory in the current absence of anything better - not to say there won't be a better one in the future - nor, in fact, that 5E is not a remanent from our advanced past but I digress.)

Anyway, 'standard call' IMO/IME for qi-gong and 'meditation' (in general) is that it brings up the 'stuff' to be a gotten-rid-of. Where Cat refers to it earlier as 'detox' she's correct IMO/IME on a variety of levels. I reckon for the timeframe thing, well, my guess is if it's time, it's time.

--opinion--etc - hopefully helpful - some idea of hell - and later heaven---

Well, i practiced Qigong yesterday afternoon and felt high as a kite (in a bad way) almost all day today and last night. Now I am feeling better.

I have noticed that qigong brings my mental problems up for me to face and i don't like that because it is pretty intense and scary. For example, i have always had an OCD problem and think horrible thoughts at time that i don't want to think.......like other people close to me dying or the thought of me losing it and hurting someone for example.

The qigong has been bringing these horrible thoughts up left and right lately to the point where i feel really really bad about myself........and also my behavior and desires get more intense at times....i always used to chase women a lot...but lately after qigong i become obessesed with the idea of hooking up with some random girl......to the point where i feel like i am not in control.......it is making me face all of these dilemmas deep inside my brain.....so i am just going to take this really really slow..........also last Saturday.....at the train station...i felt really messed up and had this sensation that there is a another reality co-existing with ours that we cant see and that i could almost step through this world into that world. Am I supposed to be having all this cray stuff only 2 months into practice???

Yes, it is quite normal because there are lots of changes taken place inside you which is effecting your nervous system and your thoughts in the brain too. BTW It happened to my wife too when she started her practice in Chi Kung. She saw horrible faces that she had never seen before. These faces were flying all around her in couple of her nightmares. She was horrified but then it has not occurred again.

But also what is weird is that I didn't have any of these intense sensations or problems until after i visited that Chinese doctor.

Before i went on that drinking binge and visited that doctor....my qigong practice was nothing but positive and I felt great afterwards and would even use it to get better if i felt bad that day.

It was just a coincidence or coincidental. Please remove that from your thoughts.

Sign in to follow this