Sign in to follow this  
eye_of_the_storm

Language: Lexikos, Lexis, Legein

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

????

Language, Expression of Consciousness:

Language and the ability to manipulate consciousness

Language through the ages

Language as a sign of cultural standing / development / evolution and enlightenment

om1.jpg

@ bubbles or others so inclined

off topic: minor thing / do you think english is an evolution of language or devolution?

all ancient languages seem to have a system - roots branch tree? + some have mathematical...

some believe that english was created // or later on manipulated to distort/ corrupt the mind of man ... subtle subconscious ways ... but we see it in everyday things

like for example the word heal = get better

but heel a word sounding exactly the same, relating to the foot / or as in heel < obey... become subservient etc

also say credit which usually means +++ now = debt ---

but the subconscious mind will hold both concepts both heal and heel? perhaps = result can not be pure... the concept / symbol is corrupt?

maybe another thread? if you would like to start? I dont know what peoples interest would be ^_^

mind games VVVV

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

About the off-topic subject:

When someone says a word, it depends on the context what it means, and therefore what kind of feeling it will provoke. So I think the subconscious mind will only hold one concept. One may notice that there is ambiguity when looking at the pronunciation, but the context will set it right.

@ bubbles or others so inclined

off topic: minor thing / do you think english is an evolution of language or devolution?

all ancient languages seem to have a system - roots branch tree? + some have mathematical...

some believe that english was created // or later on manipulated to distort/ corrupt the mind of man ... subtle subconscious ways ... but we see it in everyday things

like for example the word heal = get better

but heel a word sounding exactly the same, relating to the foot / or as in heel < obey... become subservient etc

also say credit which usually means +++ now = debt ---

but the subconscious mind will hold both concepts both heal and heel? perhaps = result can not be pure... the concept / symbol is corrupt?

maybe another thread? if you would like to start? I dont know what peoples interest would be ^_^

mind games VVVV

This is a huge topic White Wolf Running On Air..

It covers several fields: philosophy, linguitics, religious studies, psychology,politics and would require a lot of serious work to address your questions in some ways that avoid peremptory statements or superficial views.

I can't give any acceptable analysis now, you are putting me to work... If time permits I will ponder over it, but I can't make any promise.

I know there are a lot of educated people here, native english speakers, who will chime in.

Take care

Edited by bubbles

This is a huge topic White Wolf Running On Air..

It covers several fields: philosophy, linguitics, religious studies, psychology,politics and would require a lot of serious work to address your questions in some ways that avoid peremptory statements or superficial views.

I can't give any acceptable analysis now, you are putting me to work... If time permits I will ponder over it, but I can't make any promise.

I know there are a lot of educated people here, native english speakers, who will chime in.

Take care

Thanks :) no worries - only if you feel like it / have the time etc :)

I'll do a little digging myself once i get some sleep ^_^

Logos.

Greek from book of John.

Maybe more like logic than lexikos.

Lots of opinion and interpretations, I studied it for a bit at one time and decided it's about math. The universe has some objective rules and even god has to follow them.

I meant the Greek word for Word in the original text is Logos, which isn't quite the right word for Word, but English does not have a word that really translates to Logos and even in Greek Logos seems to be subject to interpretation. So this is an example of pitfalls of languages; English is a weird language. It is difficult to understand the wyrd of English. Wyrd is the word that weird came from, but the word, wyrd, evolved from a Norse word. In Old English, wyrd had to do with process of destiny or fate. But, we know longer have a English word for wyrd, which seems weird, it was a good word. You can't look at an unfamiliar word in English and know how to say it from the letters (like rough and through), in Spanish and I think Latin and Russian you can read a word and know how to say it, don't know about Greek. Spanish volvar- to turn. From Latin root same as e-volve, de-volve, but you wonder which it is? Then again, could be we just re-volve.

Edited by zanshin

haha ^^^ just clarifying the title... now to begin! :lol:

Who would have thought language to be so fascinating??

this (the study of) gives it so much more depth and power (beauty)! ...

Government education sucked the life out of everything!

the learning has just begun! ^_^

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

haha ^^^ just clarifying the title... now to begin! :lol:

Who would have thought language to be so fascinating??

this (the study of) gives it so much more depth and power (beauty)! ...

Government education sucked the life out of everything!

the learning has just begun! ^_^

Yes, modern education teaches people some facts and skills, which do not include how to think. In classical education they learned by questioning things rather than being spoon fed facts and expected to believe them. But facts are a good start.

http://mb-soft.com/believe/text/logos.htm

Edited by zanshin

Sign in to follow this