zanshin

Creative, practical and innovatiove ways to "go green," minimize environmental impact, and save energy

Thought there should be a positive thread about it. Post your ideas if you want to.

Edited by zanshin

People ought to use a cup of water to rinse their shaving razor, rather than running the water the entire time they shave. Then you can also toss the water in the toilet rather than clogging the sink. The razor cleans out way faster this way too.

Buying organic makes a pretty huge difference as well, not just on personal health.

Of course, using plug in kettles and toaster oven uses way less electricity.

Not for everyone, but eating vegan a few times a week or more is super cheap, and good for the world. If your worried about protein, just snack on shelled pumpkin seeds.

-my 2c

I'd like to see vegetable gardens moved up to the front lawn. At least an easy square foot garden. Less lawn, more fruits and vegetables. Begin by just stacking a few bags of good soil on the ground the first season and go from there. Easy.

Every park should have a fruit orchard open to the public. More fruit trees and berry shrubs on all public property. With so many new dwarf species it should be fast and easy. Cultivate appreciation and joint ownership for them.

Once you get into the habit of eating off the land, you begin to appreciate nature in a dozen new ways.

More bike lanes. Better public transportation. I'd like to see dedicated bus lanes with raised platforms able to reset traffic lights and running on natural gas. Fast, inexpensive public transportation that can be built for a fraction of what of what inner city rails would cost.

Every city have a comprehensive plan that includes the use of grey water. New codes should allow basin, bath and shower water to flow straight into gardens and lawns or least be minimally reprocessed.

We should beware inefficient use of farm water, particularly subsidizing high water fruits artificially in dry areas.

Build green subsidized housing. People would have to work a set number of hours a week to earn into it, mostly by local improvement projects.

To many people consider grass clippings and fallen leaves to be annoying garbage. Every home should have at least a circle of rebar and fencing to put such lawn waste into for composting. Let it become mulch and feed the shrubs and gardens. People who keep it up should get a municipal tax break.

Also planted garden today, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers(a gaspacho garden), squash, stevia, mesclun lettuce and marigolds to protect them. I may put out some soap shavings also to keep furry things away.

Edited by thelerner

I just planted cherry tomatatoes near the sidewalk yesterday. Don't mind if neighbors or passerbys pick them, sort of an experiment to see if they do. Have been eating free lunches for a couple weeks; planted lettuce, spinach and radishes as soon as soil could be worked so I've been eating lots of salads. Not completely free as I mix in stuff from the market too, but soon I'll be picking snow peas.

Am considering taking the bus to work on certain days and run home. It is 20 minute drive, but bus is a little over a hour. I really wish we did have better public transportation here. Run home is about 12 miles, obviously it is not for everyone, but I am trying to make running more a functional part of my day, errands, light shopping etc.

• Like 1

Hi zanshin. :) Yeah, the long busride. :mellow: Are there any hobbies, or tasks, you might consider doing on an hour busride? I usually end up reading or meditating.

Sure, but generally the time constraint is a problem since my work schedule is arranged around my kids' school schedule. Am mostly considering it just for the 5 weeks in the summer when they are mostly with their dad. Tried to scout out (driving home) a couple more potential routes for my running home home plan; it is looking like any way I go will be a stretch on a somewhat busy road where I will have to try to stay way over on the berm since no sidewalks.

I don't know how much it really saves electricity to unplug everything when not in used (toaster, tv, blender, printer really try to get the kids to watch chargers and unplug them, I no longer use a coffeepot). It seems like my electric bills are less when I remember to do it fairly consistently.

Hi zanshin. :) Yeah, the long busride. :mellow: Are there any hobbies, or tasks, you might consider doing on an hour busride? I usually end up reading or meditating.

Sure, but generally the time constraint is a problem since my work schedule is arranged around my kids' school schedule. Am mostly considering it just for the 5 weeks in the summer when they are mostly with their dad. Tried to scout out (driving home) a couple more potential routes for my running home home plan; it is looking like any way I go will be a stretch on a somewhat busy road where I will have to try to stay way over on the berm since no sidewalks.

I don't know how much it really saves electricity to unplug everything when not in use (toaster, tv, blender, printer, really try to get the kids to watch chargers and unplug them, I no longer use a coffeepot). It does seem like my electric bills are less when I remember to do it fairly consistently.

"minimize environmental impact, and save energy"

What a negative approach to life and problem solving.

Belief systems enforce themselves.

Saving energy implies that there is too little. Minimizing environmental impact implies that all impact is harmful or undesirable.

;)

I think there is vast potential in this kind of small sized project: http://www.good.is/post/a-geodesic-dome-promises-fish-from-the-sky/

Here is a Ted talk on it:

"The Globe / Hedron bamboo dome would house an aquaponics system—a mini-ecosystem in which plants clean the water where fish swim and fish waste fertilizes the plants—capable of feeding 16 people year-round. The unique structure of the dome, designed by Conceptual Devices, would support the weight of the fish tank, enabling installation on flat roofs without adapting the structure of the building. The design firm is partnering with Zurich-based group UrbanFarmers, which developed the aqauponic technology, and they're currently fundraising on indiegogo to get the project off the ground.

The project's creators promise a harvest of 400 kilograms (about 880 pounds) worth of vegetables and 100 kilograms (about 220 pounds) of fish each year, including everything from tomatoes to spinach to trout. Panels on the dome's exterior would provide both shade and insulation, allowing the the structure to adapt to local environments, while the compact size and easy assembly would enable it to be shipped around the world. "

I think this kind of low tech solution is still in its infancy, but this kind of thinking has vast potential. I'd love to see numbers on its costs and the reality of its production verse theoretical. Creating food producing ecologies; allowing nature to grow and recycle waste products, brilliant.

Edited by thelerner

Re-using the top floor of a parking garage will totally not work, considering the problematic parking situation in cities, but I agree that there is so much unused rooftop space. For that, then, providing modular, standardized, convenient solutions is a great idea, and this doesn't seem unrealistic on a large scale. It has the potential to greatly restore the size of the 'green lung' of the planet.

I also like the whole urban farming thing because it is power-to-the-people technology.

Here's another Ted talk about Tucson Arizona, a dry dusty place covered in asphalt. Where when it rains, it floods, spreading dirty greasy water. But with simple ideas, rain becomes a blessing again and with simple ingenuity green comes back. Here is the video-

Its all about looking at what's considered waste and finding value in it. That is the secret to wealth. There are solutions out there; sometimes as simple as digging a hole in the right place.

Owledge: I agree, the parking garage top wasn't the best illustration of the principle. There is probably enough unused roof space and ground spots that we don't need to think in terms of knocking out parking.

On the other hand, it'd be great to see more use of underground space. Temperatures stay moderate, no $$ for heating or cooling, great place to sleep and park cars. I could see living in a hobbit hole, though I'd keep the place lit through sky roof w/ reflective tube lighting.

Edited by thelerner