Sign in to follow this  
Young_God

Morality

What are your thoughts on the importance of morality in spiritual practice?

some considerations:

difference between ethics & morality (morality regarding 'good' conduct)

difference between an objective and subjective morality

do you think that moral systems have Universal Truth?

what are your own moral systems and why do you uphold them?

posted b/c morality is an unaddressed topic on this forum that shows itself in most of the new threads I read. Just wondering what taobums feel about their projection of Right and Wrong onto their own practice. what's gained and lost.

I think the instruction of Jesus to treat thy neighbour as thyself is pretty much the essence of morality. It becomes really apparent why this is necessary the further you go in spirituality, because the oneness of all things within consciousness becomes more and more apparent, even overwhelmingly so at a certain point. The Taoist emphasis on spontaneous virtue is also the result of direct realization of the oneness. Even if you start out paying little heed to the moral do's and dont's you will reach a point where you realize it's essential to be righteous and benevolent. The impact of the oneness is often a stark awakening in this regard. Even whatever is merely thought of in the mind takes on the cloak of actual manifestation.

• Like 1

I think it is in the Upanishads? I tend to agree

1000 good deeds will not get you into heaven ? or the like

you could be Mother Teressa and be no closer to realization than anybody else in this world?

Its all about "gnosis"? and however/ by which path one achieves that

like Milarepa? started his path with anger / vengeance/ hatred ... became a black magician

eventually turned about and so so

whatever arises naturally follow that perhaps / instead of should and should k/nots

as Krishna said? all paths lead to me

in my humble opinion

all depends on yourself what drives you etc

a number of folks here may think good and evil are the same / perhaps in an absolute sense... but I do not live in an absolute reality / from my perception at present

in other words I don't believe in non-violence to the point of not defending yourself or your family etc

pretty sketchy answer but :P

I havnt come to some fantastic non-dual state of awareness where everything is the same same same

is non- dual awareness separate from duality?

how can one discuss duality from a non dual awareness?

http://

I like the idea of polarity and balance

some folks think balance is equal parts evil to equal parts good? and you can only have good with evil... :glare:

my view of balance = harmony = health... you dont have equal parts non health to equal parts health

when the body is in balance it is perfect...

I think people trying to generate "good merit" and karma yoga are deluding themselves a little ... reminds me of Christianity and born sinners etc begging for forgiveness... / trying to buy your way into "heaven"...

etc

daruma_bodhidharma_atozinfos.blogspot.png

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air
  • Like 1

I think it is in the Upanishads? I tend to agree 1000 good deeds will not get you into heaven ?

I think people trying to generate "good merit" and karma yoga are deluding themselves a little ... reminds me of Christianity and born sinners etc begging for forgiveness... / trying to buy your way into "heaven"...

A thousand good deeds may not get you into heaven, but may bring a little bit of heaven closer to earth. So its worthwhile beyond any theology, imo. Simple kindness should not be underrated.

Good theology, good practices have a moral component. Not a 'Do or else', but lessons and traditions in wisdom and it's aspects. Personally I find such 'Dharma' talks in different religious traditions help keep me from being reflexively selfish and greedy. Without absorbing such morals you could be a high level practitioner and still be a rat.

A thousand good deeds may not get you into heaven, but may bring a little bit of heaven closer to earth. So its worthwhile beyond any theology, imo. Simple kindness should not be underrated.

Good theology, good practices have a moral component. Not a 'Do or else', but lessons and traditions in wisdom and it's aspects. Personally I find such 'Dharma' talks in different religious traditions help keep me from being reflexively selfish and greedy. Without absorbing such morals you could be a high level practitioner and still be a rat.

I agree :)

with great power comes great responsibility ?

I guess i am writing in terms of what Fox was saying (my understanding)

Even if you start out paying little heed to the moral do's and dont's you will reach a point where you realize it's essential to be righteous and benevolent.

essential / natural? to be...

I guess i am addressing the genuineness of good deeds

does it come from a genuine desire to help others / non-attachment?

or generating "merit" to benefit oneself

I haven't a clue of the implications of either / everything is mere speculation

• Like 1

Virtue comes naturally the deeper we trek into emptiness and uncover our intrinsic humanity.

Morality or a system of rules and regulations are for those whom lack self knowledge and need some kind of external guidance to be "decent people".

-My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this