JustARandomPanda

Agri-Business Chickens are Obese

I just saw this shocking report and vid.

Man...this is so depressing. Modern grocery store chicken is some of the fattiest animal foods around. Sigh....why the FDA (who's job is to promote agri-business) rather than something like NIH or CDC sets the standards for what's 'healthiest foods' to eat is so F**** up.

Modern organic and broiler chickens sold for human

consumption provide more energy from fat than protein

Does eating obesity cause obesity? < Video link

Dr. Michael Gregor goes on to answer someone's question:

Much of the fat in chicken is in the muscle (meat) itself, what's called intramyocellular lipid, where droplets of fat build up inside the muscle cell itself. In fact that's why chickens are used as experimental models of human obesity, since the buildup of fat inside our own muscles is thought to contribute to the insulin resistance associated with type 2 diabetes, and chickens are one of the few animals fat enough to mirror our obese population. This month in the medical journal Stress, for example, a team of Chinese scientists found that stress hormones may actually facilitate this process of fat accumulation within the muscles of chickens, raising the question of whether the conditions in which most chickens are raised these days may indeed be making their nutritional profile even worse as suggested in the "Modern Organic and Broiler Chickens Sold for Human Consumption Provide More Energy from Fat than Protein" article I profile in the Does Eating Obesity Cause Obesity? video.

:(

I just saw this shocking report and vid.

aw is there a food co-op or farmers market near you where you can get real meat?

that stuff in stores is no good from a health or a karmic point of view! paying money to support that kind of suffering is a good thing to stop, and helping your local farmers who are raising chickens humanely is a good thing to start :)

holy crap

never heard of penis cancer

one more reason to take care of your diet! :D maybe the best one i've ever heard ahhaha

holy crap

never heard of penis cancer

one more reason to take care of your diet! :D maybe the best one i've ever heard ahhaha

Not only that but FATAL penis cancer. Yikes!

I heard wild chickens are so rare they are almost extinct

They don't live in the wild anymore but some people still own some