Are you a vicious dog?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How aware are you of your unified consciousness with vicious dogs?

• Pardon?
    • I like Poodles.
    • I sometimes notice I am snarling.
    • I should be wearing a muzzle.

Yes she is. She hasnt cut off the head of the dog.:excl:

akl_ma_kali.jpg

This is a painting by my Late grandfather. The scene is in a cremation ground. The "Dog" that you see is actually a jackal/wolf (that used to frequent cremation grounds back in the day when they were still around).

The story is after Goddess Kali's battle with the demonic hordes, she is in such a frenzy that she hasn't yet realized that the war is over...so she is still "dancing" her War dance. The other Gods realize that this will result in the dissolution of the universe (way sooner than they had planned), so they go and plead Lord Shiva to stop her. But Shiva is not able to stop her with words. So he lays down on the ground and has her dancing on his chest, to absorb the energy waves that she is generating. As she begins to dance on his chest, she regains awareness of the world as it is (after the war) and calms down.

So, the symbolism there in is that Energy needs consciousness to temper it...uncontrolled energy has the potential to destroy. But when fortified by Clear Consciousness, Energy can be controlled and used for constructive purposes.

BTW, the human heads that adorn her neck are the 50 phonemes of the Sanskrit Language (the 50 basic sounds) that lead to language, thus understanding and the chopping of the heads represent the conquest of each sound, thus defeat of ignorance.

Edited by dwai
  • Like 7

*facepalms* (NOTE TO MODS.... WE NEED A FACE-PALM EMOTICON!! :D ) How is this debate even still going on? :blink: One person on the forum has an irrational fear of dogs and an entire debate springs up as if this were some legitimate spiritual issue. I've known a few people who were absolutely convinced that black people were genetically predisposed to be ignorant and violent yet no person with even a modicum of sense would entertain such a ridiculous idea.

No amount of logic or proof will convince someone who is determined to maintain hatred or fear and there's really nothing any of us can do to change that. Maybe he'll come back next lifetime as a "vicious" puppy and live next door to a guy who's convinced he's the devil because he didn't have the good sense to be born a yellow lab :wacko:

All that said, I vote WEAGLE!! :wub: :wub: :wub: It would be so cute with the giant paws and the droopy ears :wub:

akl_ma_kali.jpg

This is a painting by my Late grandfather. The scene is in a cremation ground. The "Dog" that you see is actually a jackal/wolf (that used to frequent cremation grounds back in the day when they were still around).

The story is after Goddess Kali's battle with the demonic hordes, she is in such a frenzy that she hasn't yet realized that the war is over...so she is still "dancing" her War dance. The other Gods realize that this will result in the dissolution of the universe (way sooner than they had planned), so they go and plead Lord Shiva to stop her. But Shiva is not able to stop her with words. So he lays down on the ground and has her dancing on his chest, to absorb the energy waves that she is generating. As she begins to dance on his chest, she regains awareness of the world as it is (after the war) and calms down.

So, the symbolism there in is that Energy needs consciousness to temper it...uncontrolled energy has the potential to destroy. But when fortified by Clear Consciousness, Energy can be controlled and used for constructive purposes.

BTW, the human heads that adorn her neck are the 50 phonemes of the Sanskrit Language (the 50 basic sounds) that lead to language, thus understanding and the chopping of the heads represent the conquest of each sound, thus defeat of ignorance.

Now this - is really cool!

• Like 6

Now this - is really cool!

It is, because my 'Western' eyes originally saw ugly, primitive and superstition in it. Once explained, looking closer, I see with different eyes and learn.

Thankyou so much for sharing the painting by your Grandfather, dwai. I love it, that is a very cool Grandafther you have. Your explication is what I was looking for. So the dog is actually a jackal, a predator , capitalising on others situations. That is interesting. The whole painting and archetypal reality is interesting of course, but I just particularly wondered about the significance of the canine feature.

And that wondering was brought up again re. the persistent issue of vicious dogs brought to us by VMarco.. I was wondering what is the teaching inherent in the Dog Tales. There had to be a productive outcome to dogs being a recurring board theme. For me, it made me recall this painting and the imagery of it and ponder it some more.

We have a term for depression "Black Dog".. it comes and sits on you and saps your vitality.. and we have a notion also of Dog as man's best friend, and as such the dog in a dream can symbolise Soul.So the shadow side of the canine is the predator who feeds off the dead and dying.

So the dogs/jackals in this painting are a reminder of mortality, of the fact that we are all part of the food chain, a part of a Chod type meditation. A reminder of our predatory natures.?

Hi Cat,

Glad I could help. Interestingly, Kali is one of the most misunderstood Deity (in the Western world) evoking fear, disgust, anger and so on. But if put in context, she is (as someone pointed out) a Heroine who rids the world of the darkness, fear, death, etc.

The Dog motif is interesting because I think Dogs have been companions to humans for a long time and we probably get to witness primeval behaviours most closely through them.

As someone who is considerate of Others, my extreme sports activities have little to do with the millions of people everyday who are exposed to the intimidation, terrorism, barking, attacks, maulings of vicious dogs. Dogs are unpredictable territorial animals,...vicious breeds are possessed by fear-based individuals for protection. That negative vibration of fear and the need of protection permeates the planet, and is a huge contributor to the hate, separateness, vile manners, violence, and terrorism on the Planet today.

The question is not to "cure" Others from the intimidation, terrorism, attacks, maulings of vicious dogs,...which may only be possible if everyone, from infants to the elderly, are issued a protective device (gun),...but the real question is to how to heal vicious breed owners from their fear, and inconsideration of all Others.

V

V,

For someone who has a decidedly academic writing style, you certainly don't cite sources very often. Where are references to research articles and surveys?

What percentage of dogs are really creating fear? Is that percentage smaller or larger than other types of fear creators? Who is to say that dog terror is any more of a problem than 'TV' terror, or tree terror, or *God forbid* CLOWN terror???

Or maybe all this talk of dogs is really figurative, and I should be finding the metaphors instead of the sources . . . hmmmm . . .

Edited by Green Tiger

read: Extreme sports?!?!? I haven't left the library in AGES!!!

Topics get so easily fragmented here. My use of "extreme sports" was in reply to:

V have you ever pushed the limit? parachute? motorbikes etc? faced fear?

does one overcome fear by ignoring it or facing it?

In this statement, White Wolf appears to be suggesting that the millions of people who are barked at, terrorized, attacked, mauled, etc, by vicious breeds everyday, need to face their fear,...not the inconsiderate owners of these vicious breeds who are so fearful that they need protection, regardless of the impact to Others.

And by the way,...you should consider getting out of the library alittle.

V

Topics get so easily fragmented here. My use of "extreme sports" was in reply to:

In this statement, White Wolf appears to be suggesting that the millions of people who are barked at, terrorized, attacked, mauled, etc, by vicious breeds everyday, need to face their fear,...not the inconsiderate owners of these vicious breeds who are so fearful that they need protection, regardless of the impact to Others.

And by the way,...you should consider getting out of the library alittle.

V

^ not really

I was addressing fear as a separate issue in terms of not feeding the 2 dogs

fear being seen as a negative

I was saying a little is healthy as per my post imo

"keeps us from strolling onto a mine field" etc

and then asking should we face fear as opposed to ignoring it (not "feeding" it?) unless my understanding of not feeding is incorrect / the two dogs will still be there... poor hungry buggers

“You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.” Ayn Rand

I was suggesting that we may overcome fear be "facing it" / understanding it ? (separate topic perhaps)

anyhow :)

I don't know

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

EDIT: This thread is not about literal dogs.

It is about the figurative dogs that dwell within each of us. Lassie and Cujo, barking away in the kennel of our hearts. May we all strive to bring these two disparate forces into harmony with the kibbles and bits of love and understanding.

Edited by Green Tiger

GreenTiger.....This is not a thread about literal dogs... am really not interested in having this taunting/antagonism in this thread. Please discontinue and feel free to edit away anything you have posted which is less than jovial, open hearted, informative or constructive.

WoW!!!

What a mean, freakin' vicious dog!!!

And that is quite an accomplishment considering you are a cat!

• Like 3

Exactly, about the dogs. I am fascinated by Kali. We have in Taoism the tenet that 'nature is not kind' :

from the essence of tao by alex anatole, p102 - 8

the unkind =impartiality.

from same text and chapter.

From this point of view the jackals would be loving animals.. even when viewed as archetypes within our own psyche. So what would need to be destroyed would be the negative perception/ fear of them. Imagine if Jackals were viewed as creative creatures embodying core self love..

Thanks for this post Cat :)

really resonates with myself :wub:^_^

the entire post...

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

here's one for you, head of the marble.

about the sage

in his relations with others, he loves kindness...it goes without saying that there is no reason to treat others unkindly without reason. that would be tantamount to constant interference. such behaviour sows the seeds for recrimination and creates conflict. like water that flows around a rock in the river, the sage avoids clashes unless they are necessary to maintain his path.

Exactly. And likewise for the warrior as well, when possible.

Predator and Prey.

So yesterday movement in the sky caught my attention. I see a hawk followed by another bird. A moment later here they come again in the opposite direction. Ha! The other bird was not following the hawk, it was chasing it. Yep, it was that vicious grey jay. Poor hawk. No grey jay babies for you to eat.