Sign in to follow this  
Cheshire Cat

Old Yang Style T'ai chi

Hi ^_^

I want to start training in tai chi and I'm an absolute beginner.

I've heard of that style called "Old Yang" introduced by E. Montaigue

and I wanted to ask here what do you (martial artists and student of taiji) think about it.

It is a good system? It is the definitive boxing for real?

Thank you

Hello DrT,

My understanding of this is that the original form of Yang Tai Chi was created by Yang Lu Chan, after studying at the Chen Village. There are various legends about him peeking through the fence at the closed door sessions, etc. It was said that he then travelled about, fighting all challengers, and was undefeated. As far as I know, the original form created by him has been lost. His sons Yang Ban Hou and Yang Jian Hou created forms, which are still being taught by different people. These are said to be "more martial" in nature than what is generally being taught now, and might be more similar to what Yang Lu Chan taught, but who knows for certain?

The majority of the Yang Tai Chi now being taught descends from Yang Chen Fu, who created more of a standardized system than his predecessors, and also added the health frame, which made it more accessible to non-martial artists. You can find out more about the history of the Yang Family here:

History: Yang Family Tai Chi Chuan Association

I don't know about Earl Montaigue, but you might want to see who his teachers were, and how they were connected to the members of the Yang Family, or their senior students.

Edited by Dainin

Erle Montaigue died not that long ago but his organisation is still running.

taijiworld

He did indeed teach the Yang Lu-ch'an Old Tai Chi Form and put the whole thing down on a series of DVD's. This is purported to be the Yang Lu-ch'an form which is far more dynamic than the Yang Chen Fu toned down version which is the most commonly practiced Yang Form today.

Unless you can find someone in your vicinity who is teaching this form I would advise you to not to bother attemting to teach yourself from DVD. Far better to find a good teacher of the Internal Arts who is local to you and can show you not only a form but the principles that make it all work.

Good luck and best wishes

Edited by Chang

thank you

I found a master who teach this "old yang style" and I will see if I can do something in the right way :P

I'm too dumb to learn from DVDs, but I cannot say if this system is effective because

I'm an absolute beginner.

:rolleyes:

thank you

I found a master who teach this "old yang style" and I will see if I can do something in the right way :P

I'm too dumb to learn from DVDs, but I cannot say if this system is effective because

I'm an absolute beginner.

:rolleyes:

it is much smarter to learn from a teacher than a DVD

• Like 2

Erle died died January last year.

Eli is a very good teacher. Runs classes in Swansea, amongst other places. He is a very good Taiji man, with full attention given to the Chi aspects, and also fighting applications.

The DVDs are quite old, and aspects of the form had evolved since that time, so what you see Erle doing on the DVDs isn't quite what you'd learn in the class.

I'd recommend Eli every time. I'd be there myself if Swansea wasn't so damn far away.

There are lines around still teaching the Old, Classical Yang style. i teach it, and another "proto" Yang system which is one of my favorite T'aijiquan systems. i also teach Old Chen and probably like the "proto" Yang and the Lao Jia Chen the best.

The only thing that I consider quite strange is that Earle died relatively eager (62 y)

while t'ai chi should promote health and long life :blush:

The only thing that I consider quite strange is that Earle died relatively eager (62 y)

Lived a very healthy lifestyle. Practiced long and well every day. Didn't drink or smoke and ate a vegan diet. And was one of the kindest, gentlest people you could meet.

I don't know for sure, but I think it was a heart attack ? Blocked artery ? Apologies if I have that wrong, as I don't want to upset his family. But the sort of thing that can happen to a fit man. Maybe it was just his karma....his time to go ?

If life is measured in quality, not quantity, then Erle brought quality to everyone he met. His young death is sad, but he changed a lot of lives. He was a great Taiji man.

Erle had diabetes which he controlled with his training and diet

An artery in his heart got clogged and he got a heart attack from that

Not much he could do but he had his family with him when that happened

Maybe without tai ji and a healthy lifestyle he would have died much earlier. . .

Sign in to follow this