dwai

Softness in 2 person practice

A hard/strong force "wins" abruptly, so it is easy to see and feel this

a subtle force overcomes almost imperceptible, so it is much more difficult to notice this.

- the actual quote was worded much better but I can't find it :lol:

• Like 2

It is also easier to do with a member of the opposite sex. There is a natural flow and energy loop that is created as the energies try to balance. Also, it is easier to notice if you quiet the mind by "listening".

:)

• Like 2

If you feel a physical push, let your partner know.

You don't tell your partner anything. It was time for you to make your offensive move by getting your partner off balance.

You don't tell your partner anything. It was time for you to make your offensive move by getting your partner off balance.

Tui shou is not a competition...so we provide feedback, helping each other relax parts that are tense, become softer when we feel our partner's physical tension...we dont toss our friends into walls... ;)

I have seen the approach you mention from cooperative practice to combat...it is not a good idea when we re not really sparring. San shou is for that...not tui shou....imho

From my teachers notes --

This type of practice is necessary in order to help you to generate a signal that goes outside of your body. When you do your Single Form Practice, you work on generating a flow and can feel very strong sensations, but that does not mean that this signal is going outside your body. You can feel your own Chi, but not this Jing signal that you are trying to generate. You need another person to help you with this, not only to let you know if they feel it, but even if they do not, you still get feedback from their response to that signal. Again, a good, honest practice partner is invaluable.

Edited by dwai

Tui shou is not a competition...so we provide feedback, helping each other relax parts that are tense, become softer when we feel our partner's physical tension...we dont toss our friends into walls... ;)

From my teachers notes --

Hehehe.....

It was only a matter of Tai Ji talk. You don't have to toss your friend into the wall. Anyway, you still can do a little counteract to let your partner to get the message without verbal communication. It was the purpose of push hand by feeling the yin-yang force of partners. Pushing was being the yang; and pulling was being the yin. The yin will overcome the yang. It said so in the Tao Te Ching, remember...??? ;)

Hehehe.....

It was only a matter of Tai Ji talk. You don't have to toss your friend into the wall. Anyway, you still can do a little counteract to let your partner to get the message without verbal communication. It was the purpose of push hand by feeling the yin-yang force of partners. Pushing was being the yang; and pulling was being the yin. The yin will overcome the yang. It said so in the Tao Te Ching, remember...??? ;)

True...sometimes it is not enough however. My teacher often stops us and shows what we need to be doing...sonetimes he lets us go at it...

Those times where we start "getting" our partner things can get charged up. Like i remember we were doing methods of inward outward and i got to a point where i had my friend completely off balance on one leg and almost into a wall...of course then it spiralled into an ego thing rapidly...so our teacher had to step in and remind us the goal was to learn not fight with each other...