manitou

Earth music

I just noticed on my walk this morning that the honeybees drone in the key of B.

Then, on top of that, the ring-necked pigeons were cooing in the key of B.

Is there something about the key of B?

I just noticed on my walk this morning that the honeybees drone in the key of B.

I have no idea.

Many people talk about different qualities of different keys but to me they are all relative and I haven't felt too much difference.

Do you have perfect pitch Barb?

I certainly don't and some folks I know who do describe it as both a blessing and a curse...

I've been playing a lot of guitar lately and I'm going to do some experimenting with transposing things to different keys and see what comes up.

I've been connecting with crows lately, I'll have to pay attention to the pitch of their calls.

Recently, I had a crow hang out with me for quite a while on the beach while I practiced a shamanic qigong set channeling the eagle. I was really intrigued by the enormous variety of sounds he made.

Some musicians base their music on particular Earth keys:

http://www.patrickbernard.com/downloads/4/album

I think nature tends to harmonize with whatever the dominant pitch is at the time, like a harmonic entrainment.

B is normally associated with the upper, 7th, chakra, though personally I think no matter what key you play in, the 7th interval will be the most crowning while the root brings one back to earth. So in the key of C, B would be the 7th/crown, but in the key of B, A sharp would be the crown assuming there is an entrained grounding in the dominant key, or, so my theory goes..

Where does B fall on the Do Re Me Fa Sol.. scale? Or does my question not make sense? And if it does, is there a better 2 or 3 letter description of sound B, particularly in tuned with nature and/or the crown chakra.

In one sound system(Abulafiah Kabbalic) I work with the crown chakra is AAieeeee, a long hard A sound.

A hard "A" sound...like in the word "say" tends to open the 6th/third eye. An "eee" sound like in "meet" corresponds to the 7th/crown.

Chakra Frequencies: Tantra of Sound by Jonathan Goldman contains this and a lot of other interesting info.

Edit: An easy way that I remember the chakra frequencies is just that the heart chakra frequency is "F above middle C" (F4 or 349.23 hz), and corresponds to "fa".

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 1

So I wanted to see what the hertz frequencies are of all the tones/notes and came across:

Line current

In Europe, Africa, Australia, Southern South America, most of Asia, and Russia, the frequency of the alternating current in household electrical outlets is 50 Hz (close to the tone G), whereas in North America and Northern South America, the frequency of the alternating current in household electrical outlets is 60 Hz (between the tones B♭ and B; that is, a minor third above the European frequency). The frequency of the 'hum' in an audio recording can show where the recording was made, in countries using a European, or an American, grid frequency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency

So this probably creates resonance of other things with the B flat to B tones, since fluctuation around the frequency of an object causes vibration of the object and makes lots of Bb and B.

• Like 1

Ti, assuming your Do is actually in C.

And Ti would be the 7th note in the scale (assuming C as the starting point), corresponding to the crown chakra as well.

I wonder if you zoomed out in space and looked back at the earth in a cross-section, if the colors of the earth as they emit from the center don't also follow the colors of the chakra? Red on the very inside, the base chakra? Ultra-violet out in the upper atmosphere?

I wonder if European bees buzz in G?

• Like 1

Some drones I enjoy playing along with. http://mattotto.org/?p=1273

and a chakra sound chart http://mysticbeats.com/chakra-sounds.pdf Personally I don't have enough experience with the "C" is for the root chakra etc sort of stuff yet to know how I feel about that. While colours are the divisions of visible light that we can perceive a "C" note is just a "name" My "C" playing a Bb sax or Eb sax are not the same note as a guitar "C"

So I feel overtones might be a more fruitful path, or perhaps as a horn player I just I like playing around with them more :lol:

300px-Overtones_closed_pipe.png

ots5.jpg?w=529&h=75

I love sound to be big/full/loud/strong enough so that you feel it resonating throughout your body - rather than something you only hear.

Edited by Mal Stainkey

I love sound to be big/full/loud/strong enough so that you feel it resonating throughout your body - rather than something you only hear.

A key to this too, is a little vibrato, since the vibrato grabs other things that resonate at that frequency and starts to move them. I have another crazy theory which I'll never get to prove for myself, that music vibrates our internal glands and organs this way, perhaps relaxing the body by activating energy channels?

I would bet the ren and du channels have reachable frequencies in this way!

This seems to be the whole science behind singing bowls being tailored to particular areas.

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

So I feel overtones might be a more fruitful path

There are definitely effects in the head from overtone singing.

Personally I don't have enough experience with the "C" is for the root chakra etc sort of stuff yet to know how I feel about that. While colours are the divisions of visible light that we can perceive a "C" note is just a "name" My "C" playing a Bb sax or Eb sax are not the same note as a guitar "C"

With the physical chakras it is supposed to be based off of "middle C" (C4). I don't know if this is a rule, just the way I've seen it described...

The timbre of a guitar versus a sax, or a piano versus the voice, are definitely different but the frequency based off of C4 should physically vibrate the intended area regardless.

I like Harmonious Emptiness' point about vibrato being helpful for activating the specific frequency.

Edited by Scotty

I have another crazy theory which I'll never get to prove for myself, that music vibrates our internal glands and organs this way, perhaps relaxing the body by activating energy channels?

How can this be crazy?? It's all vibration, generating from the first word.

I have another crazy theory which I'll never get to prove for myself, that music vibrates our internal glands and organs this way, perhaps relaxing the body by activating energy channels?

I've been wanting to experiment with special tuning forks for a while. There are a couple of varieties that have specific chakra tones when struck. Not only can you hear it, but in therapy you press the fork against your body. Something like these - http://www.luminanti.com/tuningforks.html

Any one have any experience with them?

I have one (unweighted F4 fork) from that company. Good quality...it's pretty quiet though. I can only hear it within like one foot of my ears.

I don't know if the weighted ones produce more sound...but they are supposed to produce more vibration down the handle. If you are wanting to use it by pressing the fork against the body, that's probably the better choice.

The unweighted does seem to work very well for 'soundpuncture' by holding the forked end near a point.

I'm not sure if those are like "standard" tuning forks, but if so the weighted ones I've used were just weighted to product lower frequencies than you would get from an un-weighted fork of that size.

And yes I can play a "C4" on a sax (apparently the difference in the timbre produced between instruments is due to the difference in overtones and their relative strengths and prevalence in the sound produced) but I can't say that I've noticed anything from going up a scale, unlike going up overtones (more of a building increasing feeling)

It's the arbitrariness of a scale "C D E F G A B" equaling different chakras that puts me off, But everything is really an arbitrary approximation of the actual experience :lol: With the range of sounds available it just strikes me a well "flukey" that C = root chakra. Especially with there being many more scales than just western equal tempered tuning http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/scales.html and I just learnt that

Indian Music uses a Solfeggio system of Sa, Re, Ga, Ma, Pa, Dha, Ni, Sa. Of note, Indian Music actually has slightly different "pronunciations" or microtonal aspects to the Solfeggio depending on the time of day.
Edited by Mal Stainkey
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure if the Chakra frequencies are correct, they would be in the low low registers, like C at 32.75hz. I'm starting to think there might be something to the original correspondences, since there are earth resonances in the 30 to 45hz range. The lowest earth resonance is 7.8 which, by my calculation, would make it almost a B 7.71, which we can't really hear though we can probably feel. C at that range is 8.187, so a semi tone would be unnoticeable. So to Manitou's original question, yes, there are a few things to B, though others as well.

This is probably why there was conspiracy theories about Haiti being victim to an earth quake weapon. They have bad soil erosion (could be fixed by growing industrial hemp crops) so this simple knowledge, known by anyone familiar with basics of light and sound, might be used to disturb the earth this way. There is already a weapon used on protestors to make them shit their pants using the same application of sound.

• Like 1

A couple days after this intial post, I took another walk around the ranch. I again found the B sound with the humming bees, but I THINK I noticed that if you can possibly assign notes to the other wild sounds you hear (possible if you've got a good ear) they seemed to make up a type of harmonious B chord. The jay's note was a third or a fifth away from the B, and the same with other things I heard. The point being, I didn't hear any dissonance within the chord. It all seemed to fit. It made me wonder if a little eco-system like the one in the pocket up in the hills at the ranch doesn't settle into its own chord of harmony? Why not? Just like indian flutes whose notes will find each other...

Edited by manitou