skydog

Is there such a thing as too much "meditation"

Personally I dont think so, and I think its just an excuse to be a lazy bitch and not achieve results.

But some people think you need time to heal?

Personally I dont think so, and I think its just an excuse to be a lazy bitch and not achieve results.

Seems like quite a harsh attitude to have, I think your progress will be slower if you take a similar attitude to this stuff as you would to say train for a marathon, its not all about driving yourself through infact this stuff should make your attitude softer towards yourself if you are a really driven person. If you take a neurotic driven attitude to meditation it could just make you worse, but it all depends on the individual. There is a Zen story about this which goes something like a monk asks his master how long it will take him to get enlightened if he meditated for three hours a day and the master replied "ten years", then the student asked how long it would take if he meditated for twelve hours a day and the master replied

"50 years".

• Like 4

Depends what your idea of meditation is really.

For some people, meditation is the state of being after putting aside formal meditative practices. Perhaps heightened awareness in daily activities is one way to look at it.

I know... some would equate meditation with 'doing' -- some others say meditation is when 'doing' ceases, first, with practice, then refinement, and finally, a spontaneous sort of poise sets in, without much effort at all.

Take your pick. :)

It was Socrates who first quoted "Everything in moderation nothing in excess" and it is as true today as it was then.

Balance is required as much in meditation as in other aspects of your life and as regards meditation more is not necessarily better.

• Like 1

I think it depends on what level of your spiritual evolution you're at. Usually the lifetime in which you're so close to the goal of enlightenment, you'll have a lot of past life impressions of practise, so you'll naturally be led to intensive practise. In Yoga they class an aspirant's level of effort into three types: mild, middling and intense. So also the intensity of effort in practise assumes these three gradations. But as far as actual sitting for meditation, one has to get to a certain stage before its possible to prolong meditation to where you can control sleep and do with very little in order to remain awake in samadhi states. In Yoga this is called the Arjuna-Gudakesha (sadhaka as conqueror of sleep) attainment.

• Like 1

Depends what your idea of meditation is really.

For some people, meditation is the state of being after putting aside formal meditative practices. Perhaps heightened awareness in daily activities is one way to look at it.

I know... some would equate meditation with 'doing' -- some others say meditation is when 'doing' ceases, first, with practice, then refinement, and finally, a spontaneous sort of poise sets in, without much effort at all.

Take your pick. :)

Lets use "meditation that cultivates chi" or for a switch "wakes up kundalini" Share please, thanks.

Just kidding.

Lao Tzu purportedly said, "Do you think you can clear your mind by sitting constantly in silent meditation? This makes your mind narrow, not clear."

Many ancient sages said that meditation is a bad way to pursue Tao.

In all samadhis except sahaja, that is, levels of meditation said to preceed enlightenment, the practioner or yogi continues to go and come.

Lao Tzu said, "the Tao doesn't come and go."

Buddha said, "the Tathagata does not come and go."

Refuge in sahaja, which is not preoccuppied with meditation or yoga techniques, is a permanent and effortless state of realization.

Kagyu, the fourth stream of mastery, says, "In a state of non-meditation, you attain Mahamudra."

Hui Neng reportedly scolded his monks for spending too much time sitting in meditation....He said that meditation is unnecessary, and warned that such practice can easily become a narcotic.

Esther Hicks said, "We teach meditation, or quieting the mind, because it is really easier to teach you to have no thoughts, than to teach you to have pure, positive thought. We would rather you be in a state of appreciation, than in a state of meditation, because in appreciation you are a vibrational match to your [Higher Self]."

A monk asked Seijo: "I understand that a Buddha who lived before recorded history sat in meditation for ten cycles of existence and could not realize the highest truth, and so could not become fully emancipated. Why was this so?"

Seijo replied: "Your question is self-explanatory."

The monk asked: "Since the Buddha was meditating, why could he not fulfill Buddhahood?"

Few people realize that Buddha did not realize enlightenment through meditation,...he realized enlightenment when he ceased meditating. Meditation nearly killed him.

Paul Brunton said, "The Long Path devotee is concerned with learning how to concentrate his thoughts in the practice of meditation, and later even with meditation itself, to some degree, so far as it is an activity among ideas and images. The Short Path devotee is not. He is concerned with direct union with the Overself."

Paul Brunton said, "The attempt to get rid of the faults and evils in oneself by using the powers of concentration and meditation belongs to the Long Path. But it is still occupied with the ego. For those who have turned to the Short Path, the object of meditation is entirely changed."

V

Edited by Vmarco
  • Like 2

I guess it really depends on the person. Excessive meditation can be beneficial for some, say Tibetan monks following the long lineage teachings that involve sitting in a cave for years at a time. If I personally was to attempt this, I don't think it would be of much benefit compared to learning true compassion by being around people and testing myself against the ups and downs of life. I could miss out on many opportunities to learn from ordinary life by spending so much time in the inner-dimensions.

On the other hand, not meditating enough, I might not have the patience or center with which to learn and develop. Like the metaphor of a sword smith, too much heat or too much cold, or all heat and cold with no hammering and shaping will not create a sword which can go in and come out with perfect ease. Even when a masterful sword is created, it still must be sharpened from time to time or it can dull against so many obstacles. Few are there who, like Chuang Tzu's butcher, travels through perfectly every single time, never dulling the edge.

• Like 1

Each person must determine that answer for themselves as with anything in life. It should be reached with gentleness, understanding and compassion. We should not judge how much or how little in one another. Just feel joy for the act and stillness in its application. :)

If someone performs one meditation for even thirty seconds I will be happy for their effort.

• Like 1

The amount of lies in this thread is simply mind-boggling.

... -_-

What is your viewpoint?

I guess this is a paradox...but also good point in being gentle to yourself

Actually I realised the reason

If you are doing practices for a goal- better health, relationships, sex, money etc

then you are hurting yourself in order to get those goals because you dont love yourself enough without having achieved those goals.

so if you accepted yourself more without having achieved the goals you would be more gentle with meditation and relax

Actually I realised the reason

If you are doing practices for a goal- better health, relationships, sex, money etc

then you are hurting yourself in order to get those goals because you dont love yourself enough without having achieved those goals.

so if you accepted yourself more without having achieved the goals you would be more gentle with meditation and relax

doing meditation for relationships, sex, money etc is like jumping into the sea and wanting to stay dry at the same time..

the only end-objective of meditation is to suppress and destroy your lower emotions, desires and lower ego so that your higher emotions and higher self can take over your being..

and no, there is no such thing as too much meditation

Edited by tulku

tulku if you ultimately destroy your ego and your lower centers you will loose you ability to talk... so go for it :lol: jkjk

Words will loose meaning and instead of saying something to somebody you will directly think it to another person without going through a speech barrier... not very useful on the internet, is it? :lol:

Edited by Sinfest