Sign in to follow this  
Vmarco

"Berasith bara elohim"

"Berasith bara elohim" is considered to be the first phrase of the Bible. Most believe the translation as "In the beginning god created..."

This subject was broached during the end of a recent conversation,...and entered my thinking again a few moments ago.

I studied this subject in the 1980's and still have the same view.

To me, Berasith translates to "In Wisdom."

The theosophical glossary said, Bere'shith, B'raisheeth (Hebrew) The first two words of the Hebrew Genesis. As Hebrew was originally written from right to left in a series of consonants, without vowels, several renderings may be made of any passage, according to the manner of inserting vowels and of dividing the consonants into words. Thus the original Hebrew {Hebrew char} (b r ' sh th) may be divided as be-re'shith, as is common in European translations, and rendered "in the beginning" [be in + re'shith beginning from re'sh or ro'sh chief, head, first part, summit]; a second translation could be "in the first part." If the meaning "head" be taken, then as head signifies wisdom, the rendering "in wisdom" follows. But this same combination of letters could be rendered "by arrangement" or "by establishment," by dividing it as bare'-shith [from bare' forming + shith establishment, arrangement].

The second word is "bara," which I define as manifest, or more correctly, was manifested.

The third word is "elohim," a plural, meaning "gods", has long been mistranslated by christians and Bible translators.

The word ELOHIM (plural for gods) appear 2570 times in the OT. The singular version El (appears 226 times) and Eloah (57 times, 41 of which in Job).

Modern scholars say its etymology has not thus far been satisfactory explained. However, the christian faithful claim that ELOHIM is really singular because it is near singular verbs.

Here's a few examples for you to judge:

Gen 1:26 "And ELOHIM said, let US make man in OUR image, after OUR likeness"

Gen 3:22 " And ELOHIM said, behold, the man is become as one of US".

Gen 11:7 "let US go down and confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech".

The first time a singular god is mentioned in the Bible is in Exo 2.

OK,...now let's put those three words together correctly,...that is, using their most probable translation, and just as important, in their correct order.

In Wisdom/was manifested/the gods.

Or, as Lao Tzu said, "The Tao gives birth to One [Wisdom]. One gives birth to yin and yang [Elohim]. Yin and yang give birth to all things."

Why contemporary religionists put bara after their god is simply due to the delusion of their faith.

V

Edited by Vmarco
  • Like 1

interesting read - thank you

have you by any chance read 'The Gods of Eden"

it kind of takes the alien approach though

things like: Moses went atop the mountain and a fiery spinning wheel landed and the gods descended from it? haha

UFO anyone?

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

interesting read - thank you

have you by any chance read the 'The Gods of Eden"

it kind of takes the alien approach though

things like: Moses went atop the mountain and a fiery spinning wheel landed and the gods descended from it? haha

No, haven't seen it,...although the plural of the title sounds interesting. Not much interested in the Kabbalah or Judeaism. Many believe you can study the Kabbalah without Judeaism,...but in fact they're inseparable. Personally I find both to be waste of time. The Kabbalah however is a marvellous addiction that keeps ego quite happy with searching, and thus the Heart-Mind cloaked.

However, I feel the story of Lilith and Eve to be quite compatable with many Taoist views.

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/20285-sky-dancers/page__p__287298__hl__sky%20dancer__fromsearch__1entry287298

I attempted the Kabbalah briefly ahah - first chapter of a beginners guide... threw it away

bad energy i think - all the religions of Abraham are a twisted mess... some bits of wisdom here and there but as a whole dangerous perhaps... interesting study though

my little knowledge of Lilith:

She was Adams first bride but she was too powerful for Adam... a strong independent woman she left Adam and became the bride of Satan... Satan for equality? Adam was upset, "god" created Adam a new wife that was more subservient = Eve

lol

again just rough memory

I think a number of gods were involved in causing the great flood... trying to destroy Man

I think Enlil? was the leader of this group

Enki his brother though? another god... tried to help humanity

I'll get some better information on it when I have a chance

I believe there is a conspiracy against enlightenment / divine knowledge

I believe uncovering our ancient past is an important part of "Know Thyself" - some really wacky things happened a long time ago

"Berasith bara elohim" is considered to be the first phrase of the Bible. Most believe the translation as "In the beginning god created..."

This subject was broached during the end of a recent conversation,...and entered my thinking again a few moments ago.

I studied this subject in the 1980's and still have the same view.

To me, Berasith translates to "In Wisdom."

The theosophical glossary said, Bere'shith, B'raisheeth (Hebrew) The first two words of the Hebrew Genesis. As Hebrew was originally written from right to left in a series of consonants, without vowels, several renderings may be made of any passage, according to the manner of inserting vowels and of dividing the consonants into words. Thus the original Hebrew {Hebrew char} (b r ' sh th) may be divided as be-re'shith, as is common in European translations, and rendered "in the beginning" [be in + re'shith beginning from re'sh or ro'sh chief, head, first part, summit]; a second translation could be "in the first part." If the meaning "head" be taken, then as head signifies wisdom, the rendering "in wisdom" follows. But this same combination of letters could be rendered "by arrangement" or "by establishment," by dividing it as bare'-shith [from bare' forming + shith establishment, arrangement].

The second word is "bara," which I define as manifest, or more correctly, was manifested.

The third word is "elohim," a plural, meaning "gods", has long been mistranslated by christians and Bible translators.

The word ELOHIM (plural for gods) appear 2570 times in the OT. The singular version El (appears 226 times) and Eloah (57 times, 41 of which in Job).

Modern scholars say its etymology has not thus far been satisfactory explained. However, the christian faithful claim that ELOHIM is really singular because it is near singular verbs.

Here's a few examples for you to judge:

Gen 1:26 "And ELOHIM said, let US make man in OUR image, after OUR likeness"

Gen 3:22 " And ELOHIM said, behold, the man is become as one of US".

Gen 11:7 "let US go down and confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech".

The first time a singular god is mentioned in the Bible is in Exo 2.

OK,...now let's put those three words together correctly,...that is, using their most probable translation, and just as important, in their correct order.

In Wisdom/was manifested/the gods.

V

Nice. Its quite Interesting isn't it... :)

I attempted the Kabbalah briefly ahah - first chapter of a beginners guide... threw it away

bad energy i think - all the religions of Abraham are a twisted mess... some bits of wisdom here and there but as a whole dangerous perhaps... interesting study though

Sounds like you chose the wrong text! I always wonder when people say "I read 3 pages and threw it away!" if that is just a figure of speech or if such individuals with such a profound a lack of persistence in the study of the mystical fields DO posses the wherewithal to at least commit to throwing books away and immediately at that.

For those who may read this thread, I feel obliged to call BS on your rather shallow "bad energy" evaluation of the Kabbalah. Bad in what sense? Following what criteria? Compared with what? You see where I'm going. You speak of a field of study that contains much wisdom and there is a very great profit in it's study and use as is most certainly the case with Taoist, Tantric even Christian mystical teachings. One is not inherently more "bad" than another.

As to danger, there are innumerable substances in your kitchen that can kill you in the proper context but can also leave your toilet bowl glistening like Orion's Belt. We must always let Wisdom be our guide in matters both mystic and domestic!

+theurgy+

p.s. I'm quite sure you owe White Wolves everywhere an apology for bringing shame upon their namesake by posting such foolishness.

Edited by theurgy
  • Like 2

"The word ELOHIM (plural for gods) appear 2570 times in the OT. The singular version El (appears 226 times) and Eloah (57 times, 41 of which in Job).

<snip>

Good information here, Vmarco. One of the great joys of studying Kabbalah is through the Hebrew letters. It is interesting to note that as a hieroglyph, each letter's meaning contributes to the overall meaning/concept/energy matrix behind certain words. For instance, and without going into too much detail, I offer this only as a "brain-teaser" :

"ELOHIM" begins with the prefix/suffix "EL."

This is formed with the letters "Aleph" + "Lamed."

Aleph refers to the primordial androgynous first energy of the Universe (sound familiar?)

Lamed refers to a thing or a being which participates in the extension of the primary energy of the Universe.

Thus EL is appended to the beginning of divine name as in "EL-OHIM" or to the end of an angelic name as in "RAPHA-EL" or "MICHA-EL." These "beings" perform the function of extending a particular reflection of Primordial Energy into a particular density of the Universe. All of that information is encoded into the name itself via the Hebrew letters!

I hope that this resonates with someone out there. I find it rather foolish that otherwise intelligent adults would write off this sublime Art and Science as a "waste of time." Poppycock! The example above is just the barest decimal point of the iceberg in terms of the vast Wisdom contained in the Kabbalah.

+theurgy+

Sounds like you chose the wrong text! I always wonder when people say "I read 3 pages and threw it away!" if that is just a figure of speech or if such individuals with such a profound a lack of persistence in the study of the mystical fields DO posses the wherewithal to at least commit to throwing books away and immediately at that.

For those who may read this thread, I feel obliged to call BS on your rather shallow "bad energy" evaluation of the Kabbalah. Bad in what sense? Following what criteria? Compared with what? You see where I'm going. You speak of a field of study that contains much wisdom and there is a very great profit in it's study and use as is most certainly the case with Taoist, Tantric even Christian mystical teachings. One is not inherently more "bad" than another.

As to danger, there are innumerable substances in your kitchen that can kill you in the proper context but can also leave your toilet bowl glistening like Orion's Belt. We must always let Wisdom be our guide in matters both mystic and domestic!

+theurgy+

p.s. I'm quite sure you owe White Wolves everywhere an apology for bringing shame upon their namesake by posting such foolishness.

haha - I read the first chapter, I have read many books occult, spiritual/ religious to fantasy - I still have it somewhere... maybe I should take a passage from it?

Perhaps that was the wrong book... I should rephrase, I did not find it suitable for myself / my perception of it... do you really know what you are invoking? I know what is under my kitchen sink and how to use it... A lot of the occult stuff is stabbing in the dark hoping for the best... from my limited understanding. Maybe I have looked at things beyond my scope... its difficult to find a beginner 101 occult magic for the general public. :)

A more recent book I read on the occult was how to tame demons and gain material wealth/ fame etc... waste of time, i believe. I also closed that book after the first chapter... I am only young, still trying to find my feet / path etc just dabbling at the moment - don't be too hard on me :(:D

I am so disillusioned with all the Truth BS out there... everyman has a different theory... I think for myself personally it would be best to simply meditate and find my own path.

Actually that was my second attempt the first was some time ago but there was a teaching online video... that was presented much better...in terms of the Kabbalah hmmm

- as said in a previous post of believe there is a conspiracy to corrupt/ hide / destroy true knowledge and gnosis of the divine... this includes putting out "disinformation" to set people astray.. some truths, some lies.

When I have looked deeper into some paths and tradition Ive found things of a horrific/ and satanic nature / posing as truth and freedom / highly deceptive / grand illusions and traps to bind your soul.

I am sorry for my strong words and I do see my initial statement as shallow... I should have been more precise. My intuition/ wisdom said this wasn't the book for me?

could you please elaborate on your knowledge of the White Wolves?

@ +theurgy+

In terms of Hermetics I have read The Emerald Tablets + Franz Bardons IIH and another work by one of his contemporaries

Now in the process of reading R.A Schwaller de Lubicz + Isha and their works regarding the Egyptians mysteries and creating the Divine Man?

I am finding these much better for myself...

Maybe with your experience you could guide me to works that you believe to have value?

ps: Was it not the religions of Abraham that laid waste to the ancient knowledge? that preached peace and love at the end of sword? that condemned us all to hell for being filthy sinners? the list is endless... I did say religions... not mystical traditions... which in those religions were deemed heretical / burned at the stake, hanged, heads chopped off etc... not dangerous ?

you may find the original Kabbalah has nothing to do with Judaism? but was subverted? the two being linked for the most part now?

I am sorry for my strong words and I do see my initial statement as shallow... I should have been more precise. My intuition/ wisdom said this wasn't the book for me?

could you please elaborate on your knowledge of the White Wolves?

You certainly don't owe me any apologies my friend. Rather make amends with your inner being and find a path to persist with. Perhaps Kabbalah isn't for you--so what? There are many paths. You must find one that resonates most strongly with YOU. As an old proverb goes, "if one is looking for water, it's better to dig one deep well than several shallow holes." It's the same with spiritual paths. Eclecticism has it's place for awhile but eventually one must be dedicated to learning a path as completely as possible before moving on in order to establish a strong link with one's Inner Master. Mixing too many systems together will result in preventing that delicate link from becoming established.

I don't post too frequently on this forum but something about you has inspired me to write these words of advice. I was young once myself and the above was the single best piece of advice I was ever given regarding the esoteric path.

Finally, please take a break from all the conspiracy nonsense--it will only serve to confuse you at this stage. Begin some sort of meditative practice while abstaining from these materials (conspiracy videos, blogs, etc) and note the difference! My feeling is that you will be more relaxed, less paranoid, nervous and confused and then you can get on with the Work of MAKING YOURSELF into what you want to be or BECOMING WHO YOU ALREADY ARE. My very best to you in these matters.

+theurgy+

• Like 1

You certainly don't owe me any apologies my friend. Rather make amends with your inner being and find a path to persist with. Perhaps Kabbalah isn't for you--so what? There are many paths. You must find one that resonates most strongly with YOU. As an old proverb goes, "if one is looking for water, it's better to dig one deep well than several shallow holes." It's the same with spiritual paths. Eclecticism has it's place for awhile but eventually one must be dedicated to learning a path as completely as possible before moving on in order to establish a strong link with one's Inner Master. Mixing too many systems together will result in preventing that delicate link from becoming established.

I don't post too frequently on this forum but something about you has inspired me to write these words of advice. I was young once myself and the above was the single best piece of advice I was ever given regarding the esoteric path.

Finally, please take a break from all the conspiracy nonsense--it will only serve to confuse you at this stage. Begin some sort of meditative practice while abstaining from these materials (conspiracy videos, blogs, etc) and note the difference! My feeling is that you will be more relaxed, less paranoid, nervous and confused and then you can get on with the Work of MAKING YOURSELF into what you want to be or BECOMING WHO YOU ALREADY ARE. My very best to you in these matters.

+theurgy+

Thank you for the advice :) greatly appreciated... I strongly agree with the last paragraph too... I am trying to move my attention away from it and put a great deal more focus on the inner being :)

peace to you :)

Bereshit means ba (in) reshit (a beginning); from the term rishon (first) and thus rosh (head, first; as in rosh ha'shanah meaning "head" or "beginning" of "the year"). There is no definite article, so it is "a" beginning, not "the" beginning. The grammar also indicates that what this beginning is of should be named, but it is not. A correct translation/approximation is thus: "in a beginning of... Elohim created" and so on. Next comes the enigma of the direct object indicator, but that's another story.

A correct translation/approximation is thus: "in a beginning of... Elohim created" and so on. Next comes the enigma of the direct object indicator, but that's another story.

First,...it does not appear you read the top post. Second, your belief that "in a beginning of... Elohim created" is the correct translation has many doubters, like the Kabbalists, who also see "bara" as the second word, not the third.

To Kabbalists, their correct translation is "in the beginning was created the elohim."

My point of view is pretty explicit in the top post.

V

The name Elohim is indeed plural. I think it only appears in Genesis. Most English translations simply translate this as "God", but most English translations of Christian texts are bad translations of bad translations.

As I understand it, the Elohim were supposedly a group of divine beings that did the grunt work in genesis. A bit like angelic contractors, but without their bum cracks hanging out.

I think you have to go back to really early or even pre-christian texts to find out anything about it anyway.

There is NO PLACE in Buddhic or Taoist Practice for wisdom. Buddhic and Taoist Practice is about LETTING GO of knowledge accumulated through philosophic or scientific learning,....Buddhic and Taoist Practice is about UNLEARNING. Prajna is Higher Consciousness,...not the accumated knowledge of wisdom, like the Kabbalah.

Of course, the Kabbalah is quite trendy these days,...and of course,...people don't want anything upsetting said about their trends. People don't want to see that what they thought was meaningful may actually be meaningless.

Personally I don't see any need to turn this into a "Buddhism/Taoism versus Kabbalah" debate nor will I ever participate in such a baseless activity. Again for the sake of others reading this thread I must point out that your argument comes from a very cursory understanding of Kabbalah. All the points you made regarding Wisdom are quite valid and the letting go of Wisdom is PART of the kabbalistic path--one MUST do this to pass beyond the veil of the Abyss. Why do you suppose the worlds of manifestation are each formed below the three veils of Negative Existence (i.e. the Void)? It would seem to me that your dismissal of the Kabbalah is based on quite a limited understanding of it. I agree that the "trendy" version of the Kabbalah is quite watered down (i.e. Kabbalah Center) but I am not advocating studying with such groups. Quite simply, I am pointing out that there is just as much value in studying the Kabbalah as other paths and anyone who enters into it's study sincerely will surely profit therefrom.

+theurgy+

Edited by theurgy

First,...it does not appear you read the top post. Second, your belief that "in a beginning of... Elohim created" is the correct translation has many doubters, like the Kabbalists, who also see "bara" as the second word, not the third.

To Kabbalists, their correct translation is "in the beginning was created the elohim."

My point of view is pretty explicit in the top post.

V

What makes you suspect i am not a Kabbalist? Also, which M'qubalim have said the translation that i offered was incorrect?

In Judaism, we don't typically say "i'm a Kabbalist," since that means "i'm a traditionalist" literally. It is just a strange formulation. But truth be told, all Jews who are into the inner dimensions of Jewish practice are "Kabbalists."

In any event, my translation was precise, according to Hebrew grammar. There are people who know much more Hebrew than me, but i have learned a lot in taking six years of formal course study, and decades of personal study.

Furthermore, no one suggested "b" is a word. "B" is a prefix. "B-reshit bara elohim..." etc.

What makes you suspect i am not a Kabbalist? Also, which M'qubalim have said the translation that i offered was incorrect?

In Judaism, we don't typically say "i'm a Kabbalist," since that means "i'm a traditionalist" literally. It is just a strange formulation. But truth be told, all Jews who are into the inner dimensions of Jewish practice are "Kabbalists."

In any event, my translation was precise, according to Hebrew grammar. There are people who know much more Hebrew than me, but i have learned a lot in taking six years of formal course study, and decades of personal study.

Don't recall saying that "I suspect you're a Kabbalist." Merely speaking impersomnally.

Actually, Kabbalists, as suggested in their Zohar, interpret the order of Berasith bara elohim (or, B'raisheeth, if the former insults you) as Berasith bara elohim.

I could buy-into a reverse form, such as "elohim bara Berasith." But the Christian interpretation of "Berasith elohim bara" seems contrived to fulfill their current beliefs.

Perhaps you should ask a Hasidic Jew why they prefer "In the Beginning was created g-d"

This is what i really dislike about internet forums. People seem to assume that the other person they are talking TO (not with) is ignorant of their theories.

You seem to assume:

1. That i am not a "Kabbalist" (this is the assumption in speaking of M'qubalim in the third person), and

2. That i have not studied with Modern Chassidim (in fact, i belong to a branch of Judaism that is a Medieval-era form of Chassidut that predates the Besht and those dynasties emanating from him).

In fact, you seem to only be aware of one of half a dozen or more MAJOR variant readings of the first line of Sefer Berashit. You are speaking as though the Zohar only offers one alternative translation. The history of variant readings of this line is something which i have discussed in much detail with Zohar translator Daniel Matt. Perhaps you would gain more insight into the matter if you listened at least as much as you tried to tell me that i don't know what you know.

In Jewish tradition, we accept that all variant readings of the text are simultaneously correct, even when they contradict. This is the original approach to the Bible. Latter approaches are foreign.

Sign in to follow this