Trunk

DGS's Dizzying DVD Collection

(links added)

Just to dispel any ambiguities: Is this DVD suitable for the complete beginner?

Tricky question!

1. Yes, however 2. it's more complicated than that.

Yes.

I've only practiced a little of this dvd, primarily three practices, none of which assume prior knowledge:

- kunlun dragon standing posture

- squats (w/ mudras)

- the *very* first bagua movement: dragon rolls over

If the dvd *only* had those three practices on it, I'd still consider the dvd a bargain even if it cost several times as much. So, on that basis, yes definitely worth it for a complete beginner, imho. (For instance, I'm notoriously bad at squats - too tight. DGS's methods have me loosening up into squats, very surprising.) I don't personally know about the rest of the dvd, no experience.

However, your questions start pointing to how things interweave and that's relevant and where things get more complicated.

You also applauded the Kwan Yin Magnetic qigong in the past. There is a thread about it somewhere. How would -you- describe how these practices - bagua and Kwan Yin MQ - work and complement each other, i.e. why not just Bagua?

Let me answer more broadly, not only KYMQ. From the little I've seen of this system (and I'm still at a point where I'm missing huge parts of it I bet, there's plenty of DGS practices that I haven't seen any of yet).. but how it's looking to me now, it looks like the DGS system is very strong in at least:

1. Hand and arm development

2. Bagua

Both of those have medical, martial, and spiritual application. Through various practices, the hands and arms are opened up physically and energetically. But more than that, the hands and arms are also used as levers into the torso (not an uncommon basic idea). In "whipping palm" the arms/hands are moving like waves. In "vibrating palm" the arms/hands are shaking. In "silk reeling", twisting. In KYMQ, primarily energetic. Even the kuji-in mudras, "finger knitting". All as levers into the torso to develop the core. These things add up and contribute to bagua.

Just the little bit that I've done, mostly w/ KYMQ and kuji-in, and how it relates to 'just simple standing' that we've all done (generic nothing fancy). Often times, in the past, when I've done standing I've felt as a hose with the faucet fully open and a mostly closed nozzle on the other end - the pressure builds. Now, as my hands are developing, and as my core is developing, I feel like the nozzle is being opened, the water has somewhere to go. All the earth energy pouring up through the ground now flows through more, but with a lessened sense of pressure and strain.

ime of DGS's 'dragon rolls over' the whole body is twisted into a bagua posture and there's a gentle undulation so, again, the core is being developed in a wash-cloth-like gentle twisting and untwisting of the entire torso. And the hands are positioned to let the energy flow through. btw, 'dragon rolls over' is the best kidney massage exercise I've ever tried so it's another one of those "if it were the only thing on the dvd, it'd still be a bargain".

So, to sum up.

Yes imho, the Bagua Circle Walking (aka, Heart of Bagua) would be beneficial for a beginner. (To what extent a complete beginner could take advantage of everything in the dvd, I don't know.) Also, lots of other DGS practices contribute into bagua to make the experience of it deeper.

- Trunk

p.s.

Ok. I'm taking a rest now. Lots of effort went into writing the above. *insert snooze emoticon here* It's appropriately hard for me to write about this because I'm beginning and so over my head in this system.

~ later edit ~

ZerosTao already mentioned the main silk reeling dvd. I thought I'd just mention that there is a dvd entitled, "Wudang Whipping & Vibrating Palm-methods" (as printed on the dvd) that contains both of the whipping and vibrating palm forms. So, it's sort of a built-in 2-for-1 dvd, efficient to get those methods on that dvd.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Am wondering the same thing. A good amount of information just in that 6 minutes!

I have a question for all you bagua practitioners; do the main benefits from baguazhang come from actually walking the circle or more so from the silk reeling involved throughout the set? It seems like a lot of the real movement and connectedness can be learned through silk reeling, leaving the walking to more or less link everything together. Don't know much about bagua so that may be totally off the mark; either way from what I have seen it is a very beautiful form.

I thoroughly enjoy the silk reeling aspect, so am wondering where the best place to start for that is? Maybe here?

EDIT: Think I was quick to assume silk reeling was the only aspect included in the form. I see other techniques (if you will) such as, vibrating palms, squats, whipping palm, etc. are definitely included. I guess my main interest lies in the silk reeling aspect.

don vedo, excellent observations about the "other techniques" and yes they are definitely included. if one is to develop deep internal power, (in this case from silk reeling) wouldnt one want to have ways to express(manifest) it?

the circle walking is a way to get the energy dispersed thru-out your body. imo/ime so i think you are very much on the mark.

.. Kwan Yin Magnetic Qigong is similar to Kunlun, yet different. How so?

Amongst the presentations there are some obvious overlaps (incl. RPhx). There's also quite a lot of differences in method and presentation. I'm pretty tired; if you're motivated the rest of you can sort out the details. (If this gets into comparing extensively, maybe a separate thread?)

Just to sketch broadly...

I will say that, for me personally, DGS's presentation gave me a better understanding of what the hands are in relation to the body, how to charge and activate them individually, what to look for and feel in the interaction between the hands, and I found that all that resulted in much more focused resolution into the central channel (super important). Also, there are a number of major pieces (in both method and principle) in DGS's KYMQ that aren't in the other presentations, that I've found important and helpful in my practice. Worth while even if you've learned the other versions, imo; far from being just redundant.

Edited by Trunk
  • Like 3

Which DVD is this set from?

I think these two clips are from the newer silk reeling DVDs.

via e-mail from Lao Xie, he commented:

... I enjoyed reading the threads... the sepia park clips and whirlwind palms clips are only clips and are not a dvd..

Also, I added this to one of my posts above, thought it worth repeating here.

~ later edit ~

ZerosTao already mentioned the main silk reeling dvd. I thought I'd just mention that there is a dvd entitled, "Wudang Whipping & Vibrating Palm-methods" (as printed on the dvd) that contains both of the whipping and vibrating palm forms. So, it's sort of a built-in 2-for-1 dvd, efficient to get those methods on that dvd.

@Jaysahnztao. heal well and quickly my kung fu brother. you are a great inspiration to me.

before my next review, a few general comments from my perspective. limited as it is.

early on i collected up about 20 DGS dvds and there are about 8 more i have wanted for awhile

and when it is the right time and i am ready, i will get them.

there is alot of information, insight, knowledge , and skill on the ones i already have.

it is good to go over these and over them again. that is why i like dvds.

for me they never get old. in a word , i might use "magicals" or i could use "miracles"

for me, these dvds are highly valued treasure.

take your time with these and move on when you are ready.

my chosen path is Baguazhang. this is a lifestyle art.

and it has to become a lifestyle or you aint gonna get it. imo

it will take effort , it will be humbling. it will be totally worth it.

there will be times when you might think, i really suck at this.

and there are gonna be times when everything just smoothly flows and floats effortlessly like a cloud.

these first 3 dvds i review here have a redundancy, a very useful and beneficial redundancy.

it is explained differently on each dvd, skillfully.

i never said that Baguazhang is for everyone.

for me, this teacher, this school, this art is a perfect fit.

• Thanks 1

shania?

but i digress.

Circle Walking: Single and Double Palm changes

or as some of us say "the Heart of Bagua"

i already had 7 or 8 DGS dvds before i got this one. it is the DVD i initially recommended to Trunk

when we had a fortunate mis-communication :)

this dvd is a good starting point especially if you may wanna know if Baguazhang is going to be your cup of tea.

maybe we call this dvd "the heart of bagua" becoz it opens your heart.

the 3 dragon stances we have talked about (warrior stances, double vortex stance) and 3 dragon mudras.

you are gonna learn how to relax no matter how hard it seems. over time it gets easier.

in the beginning i had a little pain in the stances or squats. not so much anymore.

relax. create the dragon back.

dragon posture and pulsing power.

single and double palm change. internal/external palm change.

chi kung.

and when i say chi kung , let it be understood this is internal alchemy. this is shen gong.

excellent detailed circle walking and stepping.

stretch and relax.

what makes an expert?

taking the time to get the fundamentals down right.

this dvd is a great foundation for baguazhang.

take your time with it. develop good posture and good habits from the start.

greatest emphasis is on the walking. step by step you gain.

fascinating commentary and instruction from Lao Xie.

obviously i have a loyalty to this teacher.

and loyalty is a 2-way street. i certainly feel the loyalty is returned.

dragongatesanctuary.com

dragongatesanctuary.net

the first word is Dragon. if you choose this path , it is the path of dragon bagua.

this path leads to the dragon gate.

you will be connecting to the dragon.

stretch, relax, and open your heart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe somebody here could help me with this.

I've been doing some Chen style silk reeling, and added a "serving cups" routine with a few other bagua fists. From there I'm adding a few things from watching DGS demonstrations and the silk reeling video above.

Serving cups generally keeps the palm facing upwards. The flowing wrists of Bagua could put some additional strain if not held right. Is there something to be sure the wrists are proper? Maybe the balance of loose and flex or not holding something in the palms?

i think the bamboo palm routine helped my teacups. some of these things i just learn the right way after repeated playing with it.

like this last training drill , that i was told by Lao Xie to do a million times laugh.gif

• Like 1

i think the bamboo palm routine helped my teacups. some of these things i just learn the right way after repeated playing with it.

like this last training drill , that i was told by Lao Xie to do a million times laugh.gif

Are there any sample videos of bamboo palm at the DGS website? Not sure how to recognize it. Right now I'm just trying to glean some basics and eventually build from there.

Also, which training drill do you mean?

Btw, the Bagua Poetry at the DGS website .. Awesome!!

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

•  

• The kwan yin qigong DVD. Shares a few similarities to the Kunlun system, but it is apparently from another teacher that Chris Matsuo learned from. It's all in one form, has some extra stuff that is unique, and it does things differently for sure, with IMO a different result from Kunlun. This was part of a 3-in-1 DVD which also included the jin shin mudras DVD from above.

Scotty, would you be willing to elaborate on what you see as the differences in results between Kunlun and KYMQ?

Am wondering the same thing. A good amount of information just in that 6 minutes!

I have a question for all you bagua practitioners; do the main benefits from baguazhang come from actually walking the circle or more so from the silk reeling involved throughout the set? It seems like a lot of the real movement and connectedness can be learned through silk reeling, leaving the walking to more or less link everything together. Don't know much about bagua so that may be totally off the mark; either way from what I have seen it is a very beautiful form.

I thoroughly enjoy the silk reeling aspect, so am wondering where the best place to start for that is? Maybe here?

EDIT: Think I was quick to assume silk reeling was the only aspect included in the form. I see other techniques (if you will) such as, vibrating palms, squats, whipping palm, etc. are definitely included. I guess my main interest lies in the silk reeling aspect.

Find your axis circle walking brother! Think about it like this, in Dr Yang Jwing Ming and Master Liang Shou Yu's book, Baguazhang Theory and Application, it mentions that the circle turning is roughly seventy percent of the WHOLE SYSTEM!

Train you circle walking for five years and only the walking (hypothetical). Now imagine someone who had never walked a circle attacks you, they will not be able to hit you. It's that simple. ...of course we want to learn so much more and can, but the walking MUST be mastered to go anywhere in this art, IMO.

Thanks for the good wishes Zerostao.

I was recently pinned under a truck for about a half hour after being ran over by it. I never lost consciousness, however they still ari lifted me to a trauma center. I was out in two days, I only had to get my breathing back up to par, I had to deal with the pain of it, but that is it.

Most won't believe this, but the truck was even dropped on me by the rescue squad. It did break some ribs, but those were the only bone breaks I had.

I have to wonder, doing the iron shirt form every day for two years had anything to do with my increased success rate? ...or is it luck? Sorry to go off topic a bit, but I am sincere in this query, however no need to respond to this, I was merely hoping to serve as motivation, not that we want get up under a Ford Ranger and see if one could bear the weight of the truck...

Bagauzhang is both simple and profound.

• Like 3

Are there any sample videos of bamboo palm at the DGS website? Not sure how to recognize it. Right now I'm just trying to glean some basics and eventually build from there.

Also, which training drill do you mean?

Btw, the Bagua Poetry at the DGS website .. Awesome!!

awesome bagua poetry , yeppers. i will review the Wu Family Bamboo Palm DVD soon , as it is a favorite of mine.

loosening those tendons, loose yet taut, if that makes sense? i have been hanging out in an herbal wonderland

i will put up some thoughts on a few more dvds soon. ALL of these dvds compliment each other.

• Like 1

Jaysahn, you were testing your iron shirt against a ford ranger?

i know, i know, i should've seen the truck, right?

• Like 3

Jaysahn, you were testing your iron shirt against a ford ranger?

Hey, man, you gotta use what you have! :lol:

• Like 1

this dvd starts off with the bamboo palm. i watched it again last night cool.gif

this dvd contains alot of information and training methods.

it was one of the first two i ordered , along with iron shirt.

this one dvd kept me busy for awhile. and i think this dvd with the other 3

i have already reviewed will give anyone interested in baguazhang a great start.

maybe if you have this one , there is not a need for the bamboo palm dvd.

i am glad i have both however. but i started with this one.

it still gives and gives.

Lao Xie covers alot of material quickly , but he gives the important points along the way.

this dvd is a bit different from his others. the deadlier side of baguazhang is touched upon here.

edit> i had posted the wrong image of the dvd, title is still the same.

here is the one i have

200397_1021557874227_1683618791_22579_4487348_n.jpg

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 2

when i was doing my research to find some baguazhang,

what brought my attention at first to DGS was the vibrating palm dvd.

also they were the only ones i found publicly teaching this and the bagua silk reeling.

all other silk reeling dvd was from taijiquan.

so i emailed Lao Xie and told him i was looking for snake bagua and vibrating palm. :D

i dont remember his exact reply, but it was something like , well those are very high level art.

the vibrating palm dvd i have was filmed in may/june 2009.

it has the demonstration.

lecture.

form. and some applications.

this was probably the single dvd that i desired most and led me to DGS.

when i went and visited scott and ricky and we watched this dvd.

ricky was " at first i was in shock, then i applauded Lao Xie for publicly sharing such knowledge"

ricky and scott had vp method from other teacher. they did not have a form.

scott and tim told me that i would need them to translate for me what Lao Xie was saying in the dvd.

but Lao Xie communicates in a way very easily understandable for me.

hahaha

i have mentioned lately how often i laugh ?

peace and joy ya'll

• Like 2

Keep on keepin' on Baguazhang brother.

Tell Scotty I said hello, sorry for no call so far this week, lost a best friend from school, dead in Cincy hotel room.

sword foundations dvd

if you have ever watched a DGS dvd you have noticed at the beginning he is doing the iron shirt and then Chris Matsuo is looking at you

and making small circles with his sword.

the sword foundations video gives the insight on this. and if your goal is martial arts, then this is good material. and if your goal is energetics,

then this is good material, if your goal is Shen, then this is good material

if you have not connected your ldt to your palms yet and you wish to do so, this dvd tells you how to

quickly

it may be called sword foundations but do not take that as beginning level basics only

it is excellent material and knowledge on here you wont expect to find on here

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 3

What DVD is this from?

Sifu Chris Matsuo on Standing Mudras & Standing Postures

Which DVD focuses on Zhan Zhuang ?

The basic standing posture in the DGS system (at least from the little I've seen so far), the one that Sifu Matsuo is talking about in that video, is the "Kunlun Dragon Posture" and it is taught in this dvd, "Bagua Circle Walking ..." and I talk about it some here (includes ordering info). A lot of the DGS system is about bagua and that dvd is one of their foundational bagua dvds, commonly called the "heart of bagua" dvd.

p.s.

Not sure if the yt vid is on any dvd or just a clip from a talk, but what he's talking about is taught on the above dvd.

Edited by Trunk

What DVD is this from?

Sifu Chris Matsuo on Standing Mudras & Standing Postures

This is from a live web stream, IIRC...

If could only invest in one DVD it would be the heart of bagua or circle walking. Its chock fulla good stuff, by following the exercises and putting our hearts into them we can raise our vibration frequency, that is just for starters...

Just because something seems simple does NOT mean it is inferior to technique that would require more skill to master, not in baguazhang anyway. The Heart of Bagua helps me see baguazhang simply and that is WHAT I NEED, lol.

With Scotty and Zero I am a super lucky.

Bless u all...

Edited by jaysahnztao
  • Like 1

I have sent several emails inquiring as to one DVD in particular and so far no response. Are they just slow in answering?

I have sent several emails inquiring as to one DVD in particular and so far no response. Are they just slow in answering?

My experience is that Sifu Matsuo occasionally goes e-missing for a week or two +. Then all of a sudden replies. My impression is that he is very busy, there are sometimes lags, but he does reply/send product.

• Like 1