thelerner

'Super Moon' Dah da dada Coming this Saturday

Good good to soak up some extreme yin.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2137774/Supermoon-Biggest-moon-weekend-tides-rise-planet.html

"The moon is set to get a lot bigger this weekend - at least from our perspective on Earth.

And the 'Supermoon' - the nickname for a perigee full moon, closer to the Earth than usual - could cause tides to rise around the world as the moon's close 'fly past' exerts 42% more tidal force.

The moon will appear bigger and brighter - sky-watchers promise this 'supermoon' will be 16% brighter than most when it begins on Saturday at 3.35pm GMT, 11.35am EDT.

Another 'super moon' is due on Saturday. The perigee full Moon in May will be as much as 14% bigger and 30% brighter than other full moons of 2012

Another 'super moon' is due on Saturday. The perigee full Moon in May will be as much as 14% bigger and 30% brighter than other full moons of 2012

Full Moons vary in size because of the oval shape of the Moon's orbit. It is an ellipse with one side (perigee) about 50,000 km closer to Earth than the other (apogee).

Nearby perigee moons are about 14% bigger and 30% brighter than lesser moons that occur on the apogee side of the Moon's orbit.

A perigee full Moon brings with it extra-high ‘perigean tides,’ but this is nothing to worry about, according to America's NOAA space-weather predicting agency.

In most places, lunar gravity at perigee pulls tide waters only a few centimeters (an inch or so) higher than usual.

'To view this weekend's supermoon to best effect, look for it just after it rises or before it sets, when it is close to the horizon. There, you can catch a view of the moon behind buildings or trees, an effect which produces an optical illusion, making the moon seem even larger than it really is,' said Space.com, which reported the phenomenon.

The elliptical orbit of the moon means some full moons are bigger than others

The elliptical orbit of the moon means some full moons are bigger than others

And the 'Supermoon' - the term for a perigee full moon, closer to the Earth than usual - could cause tides to rise around the world as the moon's close 'fly past' exerts 42% more tidal force than usual And the 'Supermoon' - the term for a perigee full moon, closer to the Earth than usual - could cause tides to rise around the world as the moon's close 'fly past' exerts 42% more tidal force than usual

Local geography can amplify the effect to about 15 centimeters (six inches)--not exactly a great flood.

The Moon looks extra-big when it is beaming through foreground objects--a.k.a. ‘the Moon illusion.’

Indeed, contrary to some reports circulating the Internet, perigee Moons do not trigger natural disasters. The ‘super moon’ of March 1983, for instance, passed without incident. And an almost-super Moon in Dec. 2008 also proved harmless."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2137774/Supermoon-Biggest-moon-weekend-tides-rise-planet.html#ixzz1tobEjj4g

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

"Okay, the Moon is 14% bigger than usual, but can you really tell the difference? It's tricky. There are no rulers floating in the sky to measure lunar diameters. Hanging high overhead with no reference points to provide a sense of scale, one full Moon can seem much like any other."

It is not explicitly said, so I can only assume that they mean 14% larger diameter and not 14% more surface area of the 'disc'. That should be noticeable.

There was a super moon last year. (there's a thread on it somewhere) It is closer during these events and thus the visible disc is larger ... but the main subjective difference is the luminosity. Last year it appeared striking bright almost like car headlights as it appeared over the horizon. It was very noticable and (to me anyway) impressive.

The whole night sky has been impressive this winter with Jupiter, Venus and Mars all appearing very bright. There was a conjunction of Jupiter and Venus on 14 March.

Found the other thread it was March 19 2011

Super moon thread

Edited by Apech
found sm thread
  • Like 3

"Okay, the Moon is 14% bigger than usual, but can you really tell the difference? It's tricky. There are no rulers floating in the sky to measure lunar diameters. Hanging high overhead with no reference points to provide a sense of scale, one full Moon can seem much like any other."

It is not explicitly said, so I can only assume that they mean 14% larger diameter and not 14% more surface area of the 'disc'. That should be noticeable.

If its anything like last year's it will be an astounding sight as it first comes up. In the Midwest/Chicago the moon rises @ 7:46. The sun sets at 7:54. We might see a giant crimson moon bleeding into amber and gold before it changes into bright white.

This could be the greatest moonrise of our lives, or least the year. I pity the person who misses it.

If its anything like last year's it will be an astounding sight as it first comes up. In the Midwest/Chicago the moon rises @ 7:46. The sun sets at 7:54. We might see a giant crimson moon bleeding into amber and gold before it changes into bright white.

This could be the greatest moonrise of our lives, or least the year. I pity the person who misses it.

Bloody hell! Excited now! Hope the clouds go away from here.

• Like 2

Good luck everyone with their meditative practices. This moon has already started to release its energy. The energy progression is the following:

1. 04/05/12 = 80%

2. 05/05/12 = 86%

3. 06/05/12 = 92%

4. 07/05/12 = 98%

I recommend drinking quality fresh green tea leaves prior starting sitting meditation in order to nourish the spirit of the liver since it triggers our highest conscious level. Like a "tree rising up to heaven", that is how a fully nourished liver operates. :)

Happy "dowsing"!

• Like 2

Big near full moon here tonight with some thin high cloud ...big ring round the moon (due to ice crystals in upper atmosphere?) ,,, very nice.

For iPhone and iPod touch users; go buy the "SkyView" app RIGHT NOW. It enables you to track the ENTIRE solar system in REAL TIME using the integrated camera and gyroscope. and it's only 2$!!!!

Unnecessary. I know the moon when I see it. You are just looking at the finger pointing at the moon. :P

Edited by Owledge

Go ahead and pity me, my friend. :rolleyes: Predicted clouds here tomorrow night. :( And I'm not a weather alchemist. :mellow:

Looks like I'll be pitying myself. Cloudy all day here in Chi-town and doesn't look like there'll be a change tonight. But, there's always tomorrow. I look forward to Lunar reports from those with a clear view.

Tomorrow (Sunday) the moonrise is 9:06, which means we'll lose the color from the sunset, but it should be just as bright.

For any Chicagoans out there tonight is the Full Moon Meditation at IMU, 9-12, meditate & dance.

& Sunday is the Full Moon Jam w/ Fire Spinners by Foster Beach

Edited by thelerner

It's 10:15PM where I am located and the moon appeared a little over an hour ago. Pretty much looks like any ol' full moon to me, but I do "feel" it is more intense.

Well, I expected to find some advice in the last thread but I was sadly mistaken. That's 30 minutes of my time I could have spent with the moon damnit!

There was a super moon last year. (there's a thread on it somewhere) It is closer during these events and thus the visible disc is larger ... but the main subjective difference is the luminosity. Last year it appeared striking bright almost like car headlights as it appeared over the horizon. It was very noticable and (to me anyway) impressive.

The whole night sky has been impressive this winter with Jupiter, Venus and Mars all appearing very bright. There was a conjunction of Jupiter and Venus on 14 March.

Found the other thread it was March 19 2011

Super moon thread

Ok,...the Moon is closer to Earth than normal. 14% larger, is quite closer. My question for any astronomy buffs is this,...for how long will the Moon be closer to Earth,...will it still be 14% closer on the 20th of May?

If the Moon is closer than normal during the 20th of May eclipse,...will the extra size block out/conceal the Ring of Fire?

yeah, I was expecting like massive harvest moon but I suppose that would be more than 14%. 14% for this time of year I guess is the difference.

Coincidentally though, I was writing some decent stuff (comparing to my own work) maybe a day before this thread popped up and it was very saturated with moon symbolisms. Maybe there was some influence for that since it is not a common theme at all in my other writing, and I had no idea about the super moon coming around.

It's so bright that it's kinda annoying

You know how you sneeze after looking at the sun? :lol:

• Like 1

Well, I expected to find some advice in the last thread but I was sadly mistaken. That's 30 minutes of my time I could have spent with the moon damnit!

Maybe the advice should have been don't read this thread (?) :) 30 mins?? try scan reading.

Moon is bright here but not as startlingly bright as last year.

It's so bright that it's kinda annoying

You know how you sneeze after looking at the sun? :lol:

I looked at the moon and now I have a new blind spot on my retina. ... And the moon was behind clouds!

:lol:

Never mind, picture not loading.

see http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120505.html

2012 May 5

Full Moonrise

Image Credit & Copyright: Robert Arn

Explanation: Rising as the Sun sets, tonight's Full Moon could be hard to miss. Remarkably, its exact full phase (May 6 03:36 UT) will occur less than two minutes after it reaches perigee, the closest point to Earth in the Moon's orbit, making it the largest Full Moon of 2012. The Full Perigee Moon will appear to be some 14 percent larger and 30 percent brighter than a Full Moon near apogee, the most distant point in the elliptical lunar orbit.

In comparison, though, it will appear less than 1 percent larger and almost as bright as April's Full Moon, captured in this telephoto image rising over suburban Fort Collins, Colorado, USA. For that lunation, Full Moon and perigee were about 21 hours apart.

Of course, if you manage to miss May's Full Perigee Moon, make a note on your calendar. Your next chance to see a Full Moon close to perigee, will be next year on June 23.

Edited by thelerner

Super moon? I've felt super stressed for the last week or so. For me it's a common thing a few days before full moon but this was something extraordinary, like I had this "cornered bear" feeling most of the time. Let's see if there's any compensation to be had in tonight's Super Moon (registered trademark) meditation. :D

Edited by Sonhoffman