Sign in to follow this  
GrandTrinity

Leaning, Embodying and practicing the MERIDIANS

Right now I am talking about the 12 primary (not 8 extraordinary/psychic).

How do you learn them? Like feel them as you study?

Did you learn them?

How long do they take to learn?

Is learning separate from embodying them?

Also, did anyone read Michel Winn's latest newsletter about the inner smile? That was a good peice!

It took us a year to learn the 12 meridians and some 400 points in acupuncture school. Various methods were used:

1) Finding points on yourself.

2) Finding points on others.

3) Massaging them.

4) Needling them.

5) Meditating on individual points.

6) Meditating on the flow of meridian pathways.

7) Trace the flow of meridian on others/self energeticaly using your hands.

8) Trace the flow of meridian on others/self by direct drawing on the skin.

9) Draw/trace on a statue.

And of course, read about their functions and indications and various classical/modern writings on the points/meridians.

A Manual of Acupuncture by Deadman & Co is currently the standard. You can see 2 pdfs containing sample pages of it in my article. Under the Notes section, Trunk has also added some good links on the various products related to the book.

My teacher says that what you usually find in books about it is already the distorted pathways and has not much to do with a developed healthy functioning system...

know of any resources that are not do in-depth? That book is $130. Does it even use 5 element theory?

Hmm ... Maybe you can tell us a bit more about the reason(s) you wanted to study the points and meridians? To what level of proficiency/mastery? There are many less expensive alternatives, including free info on the web which is more than sufficient for most purposes.

My teacher says that what you usually find in books about it is already the distorted pathways and has not much to do with a developed healthy functioning system...

It is true that some active points/pathways are not found exactly where books described them. In fact, sometimes we can't even find them in the same spot on a person from day to day. Yet this possible migration of points/pathways are localized whithin a resoanable area like a 1-2 inch radius. One will not find the Ren channel on the spine nor can Ming Men be found below the navel in the front. Therefore, many acupuncturists use the standard description to get to the right neighborhood and use palpation/energetic awareness to refine and pinpoint the best location.

Interesting. My point for learning? Jus to be able to feel and work with them more fluidly in qi gong or meditation, so as to release their blockages. Like for example, if my shoulder blade is acting weird, that means I should clear out my triple warmer, eh?

I find that Yang Jwing Ming's books are good, and so is Chia's Tao Yin yoga book...

other resources?

Interesting. My point for learning? Jus to be able to feel and work with them more fluidly in qi gong or meditation, so as to release their blockages. Like for example, if my shoulder blade is acting weird, that means I should clear out my triple warmer, eh?

I find that Yang Jwing Ming's books are good, and so is Chia's Tao Yin yoga book...

other resources?

Going through a chart and systematically locating points on yourself should prove benificial for you.

In relationship to Chi Gung, it's my impression that a proper system opens and clears the meridians without having to poke and prod around on yourself. If you have a chronic imbalance/blockage, it will be very apparent after a short period of practice.

In relationship to your kinesthetic reasoning; If your shoulder is hurting it might mean that you are not relaxed enough (sung) and you need to reexamine/relax more into your wuji posture.

Sensations associated with blockages often have associated reference sensations or lack thereof as well. For instance if your shoulder hurts and your arm is numb, then that might mean you have a blockage. Likewise a shoulder pain w/ a shooting current down the arm could be a blockage on that line.

Just my .03c good luck on your search.

Edited by Spectrum

I understand, yes...the outlines in the lesser kan and li book are pretty good for this meditation on opening them...

I understand that all the points are on the surface? Not really within? But they flow within from the outside?

When you mention shoulder, that is more surface level but of course relates to inner hear and lungs, triple warmer... very deep stuff.

The reason I want to learn this more is to "know thyself" ...of course.

But they flow within from the outside?

Certain points are on the surface. Others are not. They flow like water. Sometimes deep within, sometimes peeking from beneith the cracks, then rushing back within.

"The reason I want to learn this more is to "know thyself"

Get an accupuncture chart and start exploring. You could use charts from the Ming Dynasty and have success! You'll only get to know yourself better!

Edited by Spectrum

Sign in to follow this