thelerner

What's it like meditating in extreme places

Joe Blast posted a picture of a pit where Mayans sacrificed there enemies. I wonder what it would be like to meditate in a place like that. How much of the darkness (if any) do you pick up? Would it be like a grave yard on steroids or something different?

Same with holy ground. What places have people connected with?

Thanks

I think I posted this before, I got sick almost immediately after practicing qigong in a hospital. I worked there and was just hanging out waiting for a patient so used the time to practice. Nothing too serious or long lasting, but I would recommend caution in bad or low energy places.

Did have an interesting experience sitting out meditating and looking up at the stars sitting on what we think might be an Indian mound on my parents' property. First drumming and music, then stars shifting and turning into people and animals, then everything caught on fire, but it wasn't scary, then the shaman or someone told me a few things and afterward I felt pretty happy and peaceful.

• Like 2

Joe Blast posted a picture of a pit where Mayans sacrificed there enemies. I wonder what it would be like to meditate in a place like that. How much of the darkness (if any) do you pick up? Would it be like a grave yard on steroids or something different?

Thanks

the mayans sacrificed their own too, and we do not know - they may of liked it and seen it as a sacred honour and offering.

i have meditated in a crypt under a convent after 30 days in silent meditation (dont ask how this came about), and i felt everything, lots of old nurse nuns came out and we conversed.

many maya sites and other sacred sites all have a strong energy, some soft, some more dark and chaotic - each area in space has energy imprinted onto it over the eons from events, will, and feeling.

when people say magic is mumbo jumbo, i tell them to sit in a pentagram in a graveyard all night, and each pull a face that says "no way!!"

respect all.

www.waykiwayki.com

• Like 2

Thanks

Correction,...alledged to have sacrificed by ridiculous anthropoligists. Imagine you belonged to an advanced group of people,...had the most accurate calendar in history, knew zero as more than just a bookkeeping number, understood the geometry of the galactic center, etc.,...are you going to dump bodies in your drinking well,...or any cenote, because they were clearly aware that they were an interconnected system.

Or, perhaps you think all people are like the Tea Party folk,...revise whatever history they wish to fit their deluded assumptions regardless of the facts. Afterall, "facts are stupid things" Ronald Reagan

As for meditation,...Lao Tzu said, "Do you think you can clear your mind by sitting constantly in silent meditation? This makes your mind narrow, not clear."

Oh,...I forgot,...you don't believe that there were any Oral Teachings of Lao Tzu written down later.

knew zero as more than just a bookkeeping number

this may seem insignificant, but I am very interested as to what information you have about this, or where I could learn more about this.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the original post, but some of my first experiences with energy and other phenomena that I didn't know existed were in my college dormroom...I often thought that many rooms around and above mine could potentially be experiencing some effects of what I was doing. That might have just been paranoia, but some weird stuff did happen.

Correction,...alledged to have sacrificed by ridiculous anthropoligists. Imagine you belonged to an advanced group of people,...had the most accurate calendar in history, knew zero as more than just a bookkeeping number, understood the geometry of the galactic center, etc.,...are you going to dump bodies in your drinking well,...or any cenote, because they were clearly aware that they were an interconnected system.

Or, perhaps you think all people are like the Tea Party folk,...revise whatever history they wish to fit their deluded assumptions regardless of the facts. Afterall, "facts are stupid things" Ronald Reagan

As for meditation,...Lao Tzu said, "Do you think you can clear your mind by sitting constantly in silent meditation? This makes your mind narrow, not clear."

Oh,...I forgot,...you don't believe that there were any Oral Teachings of Lao Tzu written down later.

:rolleyes: or, one actually has some real knowledge and information and they base things on such - there's tons of bones at the bottom, dude - how else you think they got there?

:rolleyes: or, one actually has some real knowledge and information and they base things on such - there's tons of bones at the bottom, dude - how else you think they got there?

calcium enrichment project? blink.gif

• Like 1

Heheh, The mayans and their deities were hard core. Some of their Gods make tibetan wrathful deities look like fluffy kittens. They have descriptions of torturing and sacrificing people, like the death of the eagle, where a man would be cut open between the back ribs and his still inflating/deflating lungs would be gently pulled out of his back so they would look like eagle wings flapping as breath moved them...

Just because a culture was advanced, doesn't mean it couldn't or didn't have a dark age. And don't forget the possibility of 'advanced' black magick based civilizations...

Blood sacrifice has been successfully used in many many cultures, and that posits a greater understanding of energies and primal forces than most of our age understand...

Also don't forget things like oral traditions from the various descendents of Inca's Mayans... There are Tribal stories that talk of leaving an area to escape the sacrificial altars of the larger culture.

Its only clueless hippies these days that want to paint every culture as sickly sweet pink pony's riding happy rainbows of love and light.

I tend to think the real 'advanced' cultures had a wildness and a much greater connection with the dark and primal energies than we usually feel comfortable admitting. :lol::ninja::o:wub:

• Like 2

As usual you don't provide evidence to back up your claims. Only the Joeblast universal absolute pronouncement, as if that is universal truth. If there were human sacrifices, the bones would provide evidence of such practices.

Correct, I don't think the the Han..whatever, should be attributed to Lao Tzu, we've been over this a couple times in other threads. You believe it I don't, thus in your stereotypical mindset, I make deluded assumptions(though I'm in good company with that belief).

The Mayans as super advanced? No, I admire there accomplishments in building and astronomy, but strongly doubt they had 'Quantum physics scientists that rival our own.' You may believe it, but in my opinion you found a New Age 'kook' scientist, put all your beans on him.

Stating they can only be understood with the heart (centered?) not the brain. Not the best way to understand history. Though I suppose the Mayans were heart centric in the fact many pictographs showed priests pulling people's hearts out. Admittedly they were Gandhi's compared to the Aztecs, but two of there main gods required blood sacrifice, which even if its willing kids and conquered tribes is a bit nasty.

Ultimately it doesn't matter, other then the hope you don't do anything crazy on May 20th, because you think the Mayans predicted some zero point EFT phenomena that will shake the world or cause a tiny vibration.

Sorry I'm getting off point. You can PM your views on the Mayans to me if you wish, I'll probably continue thinking you got them from 'Kook' science though.

On the third hand this thread is on Meditating in extreme places. If you have to mention mayans on it, (I shouldn't have used the mayan pit example, but its what triggered the topic) then also mention a time you meditated in a place with an emotional history.

Edited by thelerner

As usual you don't provide evidence to back up your claims. Only the Joeblast universal absolute pronouncement, as if that is universal truth. If there were human sacrifices, the bones would provide evidence of such practices.

ok, I guess my guide had some reason to lie about them letting scientists dive down there with scuba gear years ago to have a look and they found plenty of the rib cages busted open in the center.

obviously since the information came through me, it is erroneous :rolleyes:

the island in the middle of niagara falls was an interesting place - it was a little cold and snow on the ground last I was there, but doing a standing meditation for a few it was definitely a 'weighty' place.

I think I posted this before, I got sick almost immediately after practicing qigong in a hospital. I worked there and was just hanging out waiting for a patient so used the time to practice. Nothing too serious or long lasting, but I would recommend caution in bad or low energy places.

Makes sense, since Qi Gong is about drawing in energy from the environment. This is probably a good example for the usefulness of Nei Gong. (Or maybe not. Maybe the problem is openness in the wrong direction in both cases.)

when people say magic is mumbo jumbo, i tell them to sit in a pentagram in a graveyard all night, and each pull a face that says "no way!!"

Haha, that's an awesome way of showing people. :lol: Very playful, subtle yet direct.

Thanks

I did a group meditation with over 1,000 people in the last Chi Revolution that finished up on the 1st, but honestly - I didn't feel much.

But I do feel chi much, much easier now and it makes qigong that much more fun!

I've tried meditating in a few churches but I just feel repressed damnable holy ground, ha!

I started to meditate in a church in Barcelona.

I had to leave the energy was so bad.

mYTHISmaker had the same experience.

Thanks

In Robert Peng's book, he relates an interesting story of how his teacher encouraged him after a certain stage to meditate in graveyards and how these places have their own special energy that can be beneficial - his teacher gave him a mantra to concentrate on (it basically translates as "peace and calm", I paraphrase) and at one time he did encounter a negative energy which he described as trying to crawl up his back, but he kept concentrating on the mantra and focused heart-energy on it, after which it went away.

Coming from another angle, Robert Svoboda relates his experiences meditating in graveyards in his book Aghora, not for the faint of heart.

I have only attempted meditation once in an unusual place, a haunted restaurant after hours (I was curious about reports of odd sensations in this place). All was quiet at my end, I felt nothing. Other people with me would feel pressure, which I think was variable over time (they weren't meditating but walking around). Two other people nearby claimed to have seen a deck of cards moved (the only activity that night, the restaurant was the site of a brothel back in the 1800's).

Cheers,

R

Why do you think that is? Isn't a church a place of worship? If so, the energy should be strong and vibrationally higher in quality than other places, right?

Why do you think that is? Isn't a church a place of worship? If so, the energy should be strong and vibrationally higher in quality than other places, right?

The average European Christian churchgoer might spend their time in church with grave subservience, intimidated awe and self-guilt.

• Like 1

I have meditated on the ocean at night sitting on the beach... felt wonderful for a number of days...quite humbling, very peaceful - extreme content afterwards couldn't help but smile at nothing :) one of my better experiences

another place I was staying for mediation (Tibetan Buddhist) etc had bad "juju" (in the volunteer area down the mountain) a number of people picked up on it... quite strong. I was sleeping woke with some really strange dreams, bad feelings couldn't sleep so got up to read...

not so long after my room mate came out with a similar feeling - both of us tried to keep the room in a positive state... each with our own practice... mine being quite poor

the night after a girl in another room was basically attacked by something - it spoke to hear and she was paralyzed with fear...

- something to note: a purification puja? had taken place the night or the night before... with "ordinary" people releasing their negative... I don't know what

this may have had an influence... i would say it wasnt performed by the most adept people.

but i don't think this is it entirely

I was glad to leave that place.

I feel most comfortable in my room I think - my energy

Seems like a fairly solid recommendation to ask the spirits of a place for their blessing when you choose a particular environment for cultivation. If you don't feel welcomed then perhaps there might be something to learn, I guess.

Even just ordinary crossroads seem to have particular influences at one time or another, like I'll notice a particular attitude in someone and then when I walk by the same spot I feel sort of an influence towards the same behaviour but have enough awareness to observe it as I walk by. Something seems like it was the spot we both walked by rather than just the personality of the person.

Sometimes busy areas can be conducive to cultivation or centering since the challenge is a bit of a test to the senses.

m2c

We've meditated in other churches and places of worship and never experienced any thing like it.

It was a very dark energy. Something wasn't right.

Churches are not always all love and light. maybe it has to do with the history of this particular church.

i get a migraine meditating in some churches [not all].

I have wondered if it could be the heavy layers of belief energy that the congregation generates over the years...?

Joe Blast posted a picture of a pit where Mayans sacrificed there enemies. I wonder what it would be like to meditate in a place like that.

Not hard to imagine.

People bring a lot of sadness and suffering into churches. Not recommended for that reason.

Nothing beats meditating in mountains, power spots, on the beach at night, in the forest and near waterfalls or pristine freshwater creeks located at relatively high altitude.

Meditating at night on the beach with full moon is also a very powerful practice. Highly recommended.

Also, any urban park of a semi-wild nature is also an excellent location for any meditating practices especially if they host old trees and have a mountain or big hill nearby.

I think the most extreme place to meditate is the little room in our hearts filled with nothing but pure light.

Once in a while, we find it and we sort of stumble in, and all concepts of good and bad, this high level and that low level, simply melt away, and then we think "Ah! I have found it, now i am enlightened" -- pride sets in, and poof! in an instant, we lose the connection.

Masters of meditation can go anywhere, and their very presence brightens up the darkest places -- even hearts hardened by unspeakable evils have been known to soften up a wee touch. Maybe its because these wise folks have cultivated, over time and practice, to share the sanctified space in their hearts with all beings, irrespective if they were good or bad, have physical shapes or those which exist purely in the phantasmagoric, other dimensional realms. And they do so with the utmost humility and respect -- in some instances, where nagas are met and felt to be an impediment, they would be 'invited' by ritual to leave for a better abode elsewhere. Its not like, "I am an immortal, your master, subjugator of beasts great and small, i command you to leave this place NOW!" Such demos of aggressive, egocentric behavior only happens in movies and in those who have no clue about the truth that all things, regardless, have their own place in the grand scheme of things.

In Robert Peng's book, he relates an interesting story of how his teacher encouraged him after a certain stage to meditate in graveyards.

I am certainly aware of certain Taoist Schools which have teenage girls doing standing practice in graveyards at midnight. This is to enhance their yin energy.

Edited by Chang