Owledge

Tinnitus - what could be the cause in my case?

I noticed a slight ringing in my left ear. Not sure when it started. I noticed it a few days ago. Sometimes I have the same ringing in the right ear, but only for a few seconds.

I did a lot of detox on all levels recently, combined with pretty healthy diet, so I'm a bit surprised it occurs now. One idea I have is that maybe all the ayahuasca tripping I did left me with too much energy in the head. Can that cause tinnitus? And what about the one-sided thing? The same ear sometimes also makes audible blood pumping noise when my pulse and blood pressure is heightened.

I feel magnetic energy in my head almost all the time now, at third eye and crown. I am doing a lot of belly breatching, focusing on the lower dan tien, and sometimes just putting my palm on the third eye and elbow on the chest, trying to redirect energy somehow. But I can't really get the energy to stop doing its thing in the head. And this condition has been there for quite a while. It's just that recently I noticed the tinnitus and the energy feels stronger. And sometimes it's not there for a while, no idea why.

If you are good with TCM, please ask if you need more info.

P.S.: I've read

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/13918-medical-treatment-of-tinnitus-ringing-ears

but it didn't help that much.

It's really only something to fix if it bothers you in your life. Real tinnitus isn't just a ringing in the ears, it is debilitating.

On the positive side of things, it's called anahata nada in the Indian traditions...and focusing on the sound is a spiritual practice...part of nada yoga. Some say to only listen to the sound in the right ear, I was told because that's where extra positive energy comes in so none of our personal energy is wasted through the practice...but listening to it in the left ear has its purposes too...it also can centralize and be heard from the center back of the head and other areas...

Listening to it increases it. I've noticed that it opens up the whole back of the neck and shoulder area, and maybe with further practice it would open up the entire body, and you could listen to it kind of through the entire body. Maybe.

It is part of the Kunlun system, if you're still practicing that.

To get energy out of the head, try lying down and putting your palms on the front of your pelvis (ASIS area) and just relax for a good ten minutes or so...do it as you go to bed. Or also try with the palms crossed over the lower dantien right outside of left. These draw energy down and out of the head.

Practicing only increases your energy, which will increase the sound, IMO.

IMO it's not good to have magnetic sensations in the head all day...you should ideally have no sensations at all up there...as if you're the headless horseman!

Hmmm... I still have sympathy for the Kunlun system. Max said that about listening to the sound? On one hand I don't really like the idea of the sound getting louder, but if it really can help loosening up back of neck and shoulders... that's a problem area, so I could use that a lot.

I can't say anything about how it's used in the system....in fact maybe that was just for my class? I have no clue. People should ask Max or their facilitator personally about it if they are interested.

He didn't say the thing about the right ear being better...that info is from other traditions. It's a deeply affecting practice so maybe best done with a teacher's guidance for the best results with it.

There are other things that might help loosen up the neck and shoulders a lot more, and they won't increase the sound. Massage, gentle stretching, strengthening the rhomboid muscles in the back, becalm balls, etc.

Owledge...

In sometime last year, I heard echoes of everything that I hear even from watching TV. My left ear was picking up noise from distance away and it was real loud. My family doctor gave me some liquid to clean my ear but did not help any.

What I did was continue practicing in my Chi Kung breathing. I don't know what really happened but the problem went away. I think the problem lasted about three months.

I've also found Tinnitus seems to happen at certain times, lasts a while, then goes away by itself. I've often wondered if diet or inflammation could be a trigger.

Try pine bark extract.

http://www.naturalnews.com/030042_pine_bark_tinnitus.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20657537

Improvement in cochlear flow with Pycnogenol® in patients with tinnitus: a pilot evaluation.

Grossi MG, Belcaro G, Cesarone MR, Dugall M, Hosoi M, Cacchio M, Ippolito E, Bavera P.

Source

Irvine3 Labs, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Chieti-Pescara University, Pescara, Italy.

Abstract

AIM:

The aim of this preliminary evaluation was to study the efficacy of Pycnogenol in improving cochlear flow in patients with mild-to-moderate tinnitus present for at least two weeks (without vertigo or important hearing loss), possibly associated with cochlear hypo-perfusion.

METHODS:

Patients with mild-to-moderate, idiopatic, monolateral tinnitus present for at least 2 weeks were included; no vertigo or important hearing loss had been found in a specific examination. The origin of tinnitus had been sudden (hours or days). Fifty-eight patients used Pycnogenol: 24 used 150 mg/day (group A; mean age 43.2+/-4.3) and 34 patients 100 mg/day (group B: mean age 42.4+/-3.8). Controls included 24 patients (mean age 42.3+/-4.5). The groups were comparable for their clinical problem and age and sex. The average duration of treatment was 34.3+/-3.1 days. No side effects were observed and no drop-outs occurred.

RESULTS:

The variations in cochlear flow velocity (in cm/s at the cochlear artery), at inclusion and after four weeks of treatment indicated that flow velocity at the level of the affected ear was significantly lower (both the diastolic and systolic components; P<0.05) in comparison with the other ear. The treatment favored an improvement in systolic (P<0.05) and diastolic flow velocity (P<0.05) in the two treatment groups A+B. The increase in flow velocity was very limited and not significant in controls.

CONCLUSION:

These results suggest that in selected patients with tinnitus and altered perfusion, Pycnogenol is effective in a short period of time in relieving tinnitus symptoms by improving cochlear blood flow. The effect is more pronounced with higher Pycnogenol dosage. More studies should be planned to better evaluate the pathology and potential applications of Pycnogenol in a larger number of patients who are currently without a real therapeutic solution.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

I understood that ringing in ears is related to kidney function in TCM ... looked it up and found this:

TCM world

Thanks. It's still a bit strange though that I notice it now, after making some positive changes to my lifestyle. Also, I did some 5E standing and other Kunlun system stuff, and the sound is still there, and only on the left side.

Maybe I should ask my TCM practitioner. Got a massage appointment, and she also does acupuncture.