Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

OT2: Costs for Chiropractor

Got a certificate for a $25 visit. It included 2 xrays and follow up visit. As expected 'things' are wrong. I do suffer from some sciatic pain if I drive for long times.

The charge is $50 a session. She wants 2 sessions a week for 4 weeks. I did one. More? I don't know.

Michael

I am lucky because I found a place that only charges $20/visit, $50/month for weekly and $75 unlimited... but usually it is more than that. I just don't like how people get dependent on them... and I don't think I need more than once a week.

I have a friend who got rolfed in Chicago. I think it was expensive, but it was only 10 sessions total or something. I had a nice rolfing experience in Phoenix.

If driving causes sciatica pains stretch your butt muscles! Especially the piriformis muscles (aka among the lateral rotators). Many good stretches out there. And try a lumbar roll.

Easiest to describe. Cradle your left knee in your arms and pull towards your right shoulder. Make sure you've already emptied your bladder. :D

Many other 'funner' ones. Just more difficult to describe.

Michael,

I also experience sciatica. I've tried it all, chiro, ART, acu, PT. All gave me some relief but not lasting relief. Your muscle memory will always put the musculoskeletal system back into dyfunction. Try getting a copy of Pain Free or Thr Egoscue Method of Health through Motion (library, ebay) Pete's work is the only thing that has really given me lasting relief. And this from a veteran taiji/qigong teacher.

Thr Egoscue Method of Health through Motion (library, ebay) Pete's work is the only thing that has really given me lasting relief. And this from a veteran taiji/qigong teacher.

I used Pete Egoscue' Method a while back. Got good results.

One thing I've learned is if somethings wrong with my body I am most likely the cause.

It could be anything from how I stand. Am I always letting my spine hang and lenghthen.

Am I jamming my spine in any activity.

What type mattress am I sleeping on - my stomach -back - side. What type of chair do I sit in.

How is my posture when I sit.

Michael most car seats are pretty bad especially some of the ones that go to the back of the neck.

Edited by mYTHmAKER

Thanks for the advice. I did have it particularly bad in college. Even to the point of seeing a surgeon, who ofcourse recommended surgery (I didn't). Ultimately I found strength and flexibility are the only long term cures. Being about 30 pounds heavier then I was in college is probably stressing a number of systems.

I slouch my lower back. I keep it straight when I remember, but that is one of the things that causes eventual long term problems.

I'll try a week or two at the chiropractor, look into some of the books mentioned. Its not a bad problem, but I feel I'm at my 100,000 mile check up and should see about the dents and grinds in my system.

Michael

come to think of it, car seats do suck. they make 'the back machine' in chicago too for lumbar support. try that for the car trips and you might be able to skip all the therapies.

I don't think the issue is any external device. A body w/o dysfunction can handle all sorts of difficulties. It's when we lose our design alignment and its ROM that these these bother our bodies. I encourage everyone to read a copy of The Egoscue Method of Health Through Motion. It really opened my eyes to body alignment and enhanced my understanding of my own neigong tremendously. Perhaps we can discuss the material as well. I have to say, even with my decades of neigong/martial arts experience, it's the best work I've found when dealing with structure. You won't become enlightened with it but you will live much better in your body.

Sign in to follow this