Pleasantly surprised by the film Sound of Metal (2019)

Spoiler

At the end of the film, Ruben finally realised he was following a path of self-destruction and acknowledge the importance of bringing stillness (Yin) in your life as he was told by the leader of the small community of deaf people.

A highly recommended watch.

Note: About the film director, Darius Marder:

"Marder grew up in Conway, Massachusetts with his parents and four siblings. His parents, Lauri and Efrem Marder, both artists from New York, lived according to the teachings of the Russian philosopher and mystic George Gurdjieff."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius_Marder

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3

still don't know what you mean with enlightened, but there's interstate 60 for people who like development of themselves, looking things in the eyes & calling them by their real names as well as enjoying a good projection of the mind / mindgames ... need a little reassurance or distraction or ... 

-- 2nd trailer is original one --

of course very western centered and very simple troubles of the main character, but fun to watch for the above purpose, I guess B)

Edited by liberale.ironikerin
better trailer

Thank you @Gerard I am more fussy about films than any other subject. But I took your advice on this and was very pleased. A wonderful film.

Just finished Midnight Mass on Netflix. It’s an interesting twist on a familiar theme, compelling but at times a bit long-winded. Nevertheless, my partner and I enjoyed it and there is a nice “enlightened” soliloquy in the final episode.

• Like 1

One of the reasons I am attracted to modern Druidry is the importance that it places on 'story'. This extremely enjoyable film made me think of that.

The Green Knight.  starring Dev Patel

They capture the spirit of the origins, while infusing and synthesizing a new telling of the tale.

Very impressive storytelling and film craft.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 4:46 PM, rocala said:

One of the reasons I am attracted to modern Druidry is the importance that it places on 'story'. This extremely enjoyable film made me think of that.

It says the video is unavailable, what's the name of the movie?

The One Armed Boxer, although it’s a fairly generic Kung fu revenge movie on a iconographic basis I think it’s about taking charge of the eight psychic channels of the chakra system and doing what ever needs to be done. Again they kept it pretty simple cause all Jimmy Wang Yu is up to is some revenge slayings...but they also went Power Rangers in terms of depicting this. Each fighter or team of fighters Jimmy Wang Yu goes up against are supposed to represent a specific chakra. Once he’s done putting his 🦶 in everyone’s ass he is able to explode open his eighth chakra while also blowing up his main rival in the process and then makes it right for himself in going after the guy who took his arm off

CBA to check whether I already mentioned all of them, but I did Blueberry/Renegade.

Another obvious one that is very dear to me is The Fountain.

But if you want to experience one that doesn't appear like one at first but requires own open eyes, try Revolver.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365686/

Powder is great, too.

Edited by Owledge
  • Thanks 1

I recently bought some dvds I’ve been wanting for a while

- Baskets - all 4 seasons.  None of the clips on youtube do it justice.  Zach G. called it “slapstick tragedy”, and that’s apt.  There’s really great writing, real tragedy, relationships, and every one of those actors is so charmingly unusual.

- Christopher Guest movies - best in show, a mighty wind, waiting for guffman.

I was just watching Stephen Chow’s “Journey to the West”

.. and I’m appreciating his movies again, in retrospect:

kung fu hustle

god of cookery

… I think there must be a dozen or more that I don’t know about.

There’s always a lot of real depth in Chow’s movies, mixed with the comedy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trunk said:

I think there must be a dozen or more that I don’t know about.

Try Shaolin Soccer

• Like 1