Last night in NITV  (indigenous channel) 'Lion'   ... WOW !  What a story and a great movie .

Lion-the-movie-Saroo-1080x675.jpg

A five year old boy travels from a small  rural village  with his elder brother in India, but they get separated and he falls  asleep on an empty train parked at a station. He wakes up and the train is in motion, still empty and he is locked in, for two days.  He ends up in  a far away part of India, Calcutta,   he doesn't speak their language, so remains lost. He becomes a street kid, eventually ends up in an orphanage. They ask what  village he is from but cannot find it (as he mispronounced it)  They ask what his mothers name is and he says 'Mom'.  Eventually he gets adopted, comes to Australia and lives there. As a young man he starts exploring google earth, trains, train speeds back then, a whole lot of stuff and calculations, but to little avail. Eventually, he recognises something on google earth,  traces it all back and finds his village.  He returns and finds his mother and sister  after being lost for 25 years .

Great film , amazing true story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion_(2016_film)

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 9

The tv series ‘The mentalist’ is a pointer... though neither a film, nor metaphysical 

2 minutes ago, rkc said:

The tv series ‘The mentalist’ is a pointer... though neither a film, nor metaphysical 

If you like Simon Baker (and who doesn't, right?) then check out a series called "The Guardian" from 2000-2002. In my opinion that is among the best television content ever produced.

7 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

If you like Simon Baker (and who doesn't, right?) then check out a series called "The Guardian" from 2000-2002. In my opinion that is among the best television content ever produced.

Did try... couldn’t find it in my part of the world. 

3 hours ago, anshino23 said:

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring is absolutely incredible. Highly recommended. 

I so agree!  Highly recommended.

This film is stunningly well crafted in story, acting and photography and sound... and resonates long after viewing.

A simple, beautiful story, told with subtle, artful grace. 

• Like 2

Raw Courage directed by Lo Wei, Staring Cheng Pei Pei...Shaw Brothers

image.jpeg.4065b297485b9a715946176117a9bc86.jpeg

What has really been grinding my gears for years is the depiction of the Witiko(Cannibal Sorcerer of Cree Mythology, Not a Wendigo, that is a totally different spirit creature  that also comes out of Cree Mythology people confusion them endlessly, you bums are getting  it correctly now) The main badass on the  Qing's team is called "Old Monster" in the film...strangely enough, he fits the physical and behavioral  patterns of a Witiko which is a person who is a cannibalistic black magician, they live lives of excess and after eating so much human flesh their  skin turns blue and black, i believe science has already proven that humans get sicker than dogs on a constant diet of human meat. It just begs the question "whats a native american monster doing in a chinese hollywood movie?"

The most spot on depiction of exactly what a witiko is supposed to look like...now that i think about it this one really touches home  what with  the whole "military trained sorcerer is killed by wino" during the final battle scene.

Edited by Zorro Dantes
  • Like 1

Golden swallow Cheng Pei Pei 1966 another shaw brothers

Image result for golden swallow 1966

This is another example of what im kind of implying.... this movie isnt so much about kung fu as it about a man exposed to EXTREME violence in his youth...He's acting out the form of violent abuse he  was exposed to   as a youth(his parents getting massacred) to anything he preceives as a "secret society"...  EDIT* He is  almost a witiko by my peoples definition...A Witiko isn't so much a monster. He/She is a combat sorcerer who makes a point of eating his enemies and  using human flesh with a heavy emphasis on fighting....kind of the way old school chinese medicine uses the tiger, Witikos use human bone wine, and take human brains to create "love medicine" and various types of corpse powder. JImmy Wang doesn't eat anybody on this one, so he's diet cola evil in terms of Lo Wei(old Monster) but like the old monster in Raw Courage, he is certainly a combat sorcerer, and like the old monster he basically lives in a whorehouse, they share the lifestyle of  "kill and party". Essentially people who play with human lives or human flesh for spiritual gain have a dramatic  change in complexion.

Edited by Zorro Dantes
  • Like 1

Swordsman And The Enchantress Chor Yuen film starring Ti Lung

Image result for the swordsman and the enchantress

Image result for the swordsman and the enchantress

This  ones a trip in a half...Imps dare i say " Evil fairies" abduct something like a provinces worth of  human lives,  and thrust them into  violent conflicts at their own twisted perverse pleasure, except for the hero Ti Lung, who is for the most part a non compliant drunk oblivious to the world around him....seems to be a parable on the notion that the human world is run on the agenda of divine/demonic beings...except in this movie there is no divinity guiding human thought. Just human thought ensnared by evil  wilderness/rock/stone imp/little person beings brought forth into the world by human lust for supremacy of all that lives through the creation of the Deer cutting sword. Anthropologically speaking...

Jade Raksha Ho Meng Hua starring Cheng Pei Pei

Image result for jade raksha
another weird weird one.  A parable of sorts on the  rights and wrongs of violent revenge...given she kills every man with last name yang. I would say  the film is about a serial killer, Essentially she's just like Jimmy Wang Yu's character  in Golden Swallow minus the ashy skin.

I recently picked up a DVD at the Dollar Tree of a completely weird yet magnificent film called "Big Man Japan" 

Not to be a spoiler, but in the scene when they're flying away, and Big-Sato loses his shoe, I couldn't help but think of the legend of Lan Cahie unexpected ascension to the immortal realm.

Edited by Nintendao

Some of these are probably on the lists already mentioned but are also my favorites on the subject of spirituality and metaphysics. 

1. The fountain (Hugh Jackman)

2. Birdy (Nicolas Cage)

3. Powder (1984)

4. Solaris

5. Veronica (horror-Spain) 

I’m currently watching Frontera Verde on Netflix. I really like the series - a murder mystery set in Amazonia with a nice spiritual core.

• Like 3

On 9/5/2019 at 9:38 AM, steve said:

I’m currently watching Frontera Verde on Netflix. I really like the series - a murder mystery set in Amazonia with a nice spiritual core.

Started watching on your recommendation.  Damn, this takes me back...  

Everything is possible in Amazonia.  Raw forces of creation and destruction are visible and palpable there.  A few twists of the plot rang very true -- e.g. a white man taking the lead in a tribal setting, using all the knowledge from his own warlike civilization which the locals don't possess and skillfully provoking a war between indigenous tribes reminded me of a story I've read in a book by a tribal shaman turned Christian.  A prominent "anthropologist" who personally told him the story wanted to see how the indigenous people go to war, out of  "purely scientific" interest.  So he kidnapped the son of a tribal leader, killed him, cut off his head and mounted it on a tree, then supplied some artifacts around the site as "clues" that pointed to another tribe. He succeeded in his scientific pursuit -- this provoked a massacre. 

The appearance of the Nazis in the last episode I've watched so far also dovetails with what I know from completely unrelated sources.  A guy I knew who is, generally, trouble wherever he goes got arrested in Ecuador a couple of years ago, somewhere far from the cities, and spent two or three weeks in a provincial prison.  The documents related to the arrest were typed on a mechanical typewriter and stamped on every page with old-fashioned ink stamps bearing the insignia of the Third Reich.  He made a huge stink about it and his lawyer promptly accomplished his release.  He said he isn't even sure his jailers are literate enough to know what it is they're using on their documents -- just some procedure they learned once and keep following, they aren't big on innovation.  Mind-boggling.  

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 2

And the climax of the series dovetails beautifully with my own spiritual tradition. 

I don’t want to give it away.

One of the best series I’ve seen.

I plan to watch a film by one of the directors of the series, Ciro Guerra, called Embrace of the Serpent. Also set in the Amazon.

• Like 1

I'm finding the series Project Blue Book, quite a neat and deeply spiritual series. It has rekindled my interest in UFO's.

I am writing(embryonic stage)a comedy about a space crew from a far away planet!!!

Dr Who has been ruined by having  a female Dr. It just isn't right.

The left wing soy boys and girls must be delighted.

Apparently there are 100 genders...….nope......just 2.

World of Man is doomed. Doomed I tell you!!!

• Confused 1

Ottaal and Killa  two very moving dramas.

Ottaal moves slow but it is set in the country side India and the scenery is lovely/idyllic. 

Young orphan boy goes to live with his granddad until the granddad gets ill. for me it was a tearjerker.

Killa was filmed in beautiful coastal area of India. Old building relics not sure where it was filmed exact.

Young boy and his mother move due to her job and the movie is basically the relationship this boy develops with classmates.

What I like is character development. I get busy watching and it seems so real. Really beautiful heart warming films not to be missed.

If you enjoyed Lion-these will not disappoint.

• Like 1

O .... M ......   G   !

has anyone seen  ' Swiss Army Man ' .  I dont think I have seen a weirder film .  Its made to be deliberately weird and they probably had a LOT of fun making it that way .

I nearly turned it off after 15 mins .... but watched a bit more  and .... then it got so strange I thought "Where can it go from here ?"  But it did ..... VERY strange and a sick sense of humour .

I began to get suspicious at the beginning when you realise it has two main actors and right at the beginning, you realise one of them is dead , so he must be a main actor as there are only two in the film  ???

But no , one of them plays a dead person all the way through .

Thing is , there is some deep, insightful and penetrating philosophy and observations about the  BS way most of us carry on in 'life' ... made by the dead guy of course .

• Thanks 1