"Simon, a young man with magic power, invokes the help of the evil forces in order to take revenge of a man who cheated him with a bad check."

A very entertaining occult movie, whilst not an 'enlightened' movie, it is certainly enlightening.

The first line "Hi, I'm Simon, and I live in a storm drain" had me instantly hooked.

50.10 is my favourite scene of the movie. Enjoy. I'm about to watch the posted above "My name is Nobody", that looks cool.

Edited by shazlor
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Pavel Karavaev said:

Stalker by Andrei Tarkovsky. A great film in terms of Daoism. 

One of my all time favorites! 

Do you even know what it is you want most in life...

If you were to find out and be given, what you really want most in life... could you live with it?

The film is amazing! 

The book A Roadside Picnic is also thunder without clouds to me.

• Like 2

I liked The Shape of Water.  You don't see enough romantic Creatures of the Black Lagoon flicks.. not since Hellboy II anyway. 

Interesting reflection on tolerance.  Yet those very reflections made me question the choices for 'bad guys'.  You need protagonists in a flick, and for color you need background.  Probably best not philosophize too much on it.  A bit heavy handed with some of its themes and a little long, but solid story telling with great performances.  A nice reflection though a little overly pessimistic of the period. 

Though it nicely answers the question- can a woman and man/fish/monster live together happily?  

yes but not with cats.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

A few things I've enjoyed watching recently, not necessarily films or enlightened...

Mr. Robot 

Sense8

Coco

Get Out!

Arrival

• Like 2

Kedi, a Turkish documentary about the cats of Istanbul.  Kind, thoughtful, humane, touching, and of course full of cats.  My cat was spellbound too, which is very unusual for him.

• Like 1

Baraka. It's my favorite movie/documentary of all time & should be required in the curriculum to be human. 

Century of the Self is #2 & if you live in the modern world it is invaluable.

"Now remember, the first step in avoiding a trap is knowing of its existence!" 

• Like 2

Not sure if it was mentioned before - but my favorite  is the Wizard of Oz.

• Like 3

"The adjustment bureau" gave me some short lived psychic senses when I watched it 3 years ago. In the sense of telling myself " there is a centipede going to cross the bathroom, don't be scared" 10 seconds before it happened :)

Also I like the SciFi Avalon. It is a rather unknown movie.

• Like 2

Temptation of a Monk has been mentioned already but if you enjoyed Hundred Eyes, it's worth another mention here.

It stars a young Joan Chen and is a remarkable story about a General, betrayed, who finds liberation while seeking revenge.

one of my all time favorites...

• Thanks 1

On 31/03/2018 at 4:44 AM, silent thunder said:

agreed... I only watched Marco Polo because I happened on that short of Hundred Eyes

incredible!

This is exactly what happened to me also!

• Like 1

"9" by Tim Burton. There's not much subtlety in this one (in fact it's riddled with occult references), but a great film nonetheless.

• Like 2

Le Diner Des Cons... an idiot gets invited to dinner for the amusement of the other guests. But there's a twist... another great message here, quite insightful as the French are so good at. I'm glad they preserve their cultural cinema, Hollywood can miss the subtleties so necessary for the connection to work.

One of his best works IMHO... it's like he (they?) got bored writing in super deep style & decided to just have done with it :)

"Hell is empty, and all the devils are here!"

It's a great little series if you like The Bard concise.

Edited by !nverse
Got to add that quote!
  • Like 1

There was a fun version of The Tempest filmed not too many years ago, with Helen Mirren as Prospero... well worth a look.

I'll never forget catching it on Broadway while living in NY... Patrick Stewart as the great sorcerer and their image of Ariel... My god!  At one point, she came out of a volcanic pyre, and her wings unfolded across the 40 foot expanse of the stage, with veins of glowing fire. 

Incredible story... Love it!

• Like 1

On 4/15/2018 at 10:17 AM, silent thunder said:

There was a fun version of The Tempest filmed not too many years ago, with Helen Mirren as Prospero... well worth a look.

I'll never forget catching it on Broadway while living in NY... Patrick Stewart as the great sorcerer and their image of Ariel... My god!  At one point, she came out of a volcanic pyre, and her wings unfolded across the 40 foot expanse of the stage, with veins of glowing fire.

That reminds me.  The Tempest is playing this year at Stratford Canada.  I am really hoping to get tickets and do a road trip there this summer.  It's a very romantic destination. 

They had the Tempest at the Shakespear theater in Chicago on Navy Pier last year, and had either Penn or Teller design the special affects, sadly I couldn't get tickets for it, but it sounded like it'd be visually awesome.   Fingers crossed for Stratford this year. 

p.s. this year they the Shakespeare theater on Navy Pier did MacBeth.  Once again with Teller doing the special affects.  Wonderfully done.   From the very beginning where he asks the audience to 'Turn off there phones.. so you can't call for help..' Great acting, a wonderful use of sing song delivery with the witches.  The staging and special affect put it over the top.   Very worthwhile. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

Alice in Wonderland

Thor : Dark World

Dr. Strange

Nightmare before Christmas

Guardians of the Galaxy

Infinity War

Edited by zerostao