Yes, wilfred! I watched it on vhs with a friend some decades ago and we replayed the mirror scene several times. Stacy Keach - what a guy! Awesome film.

• Like 1

I liked the "Bucket List, Gran Torino, Million Dollar Baby, The Hurrican, Ali, Thin Red Line, Two Families"...

Yeah Matrix for damn sure and possibly Matrix 2 Reloaded, but that was more watered down with fight scenes

Karate Kid is always a classic

The Dark Knight is my favorite movie ;)

After watching My Dinner with Andre (1981) by Louis Malle, I definitively put this excellent film high on my list. It's a film to listen to carefully.

Review.

• Like 3

After watching My Dinner with Andre (1981) by Louis Malle, I definitively put this excellent film high on my list. It's a film to listen to carefully.

Review.

Seriously.  Amazing conversation.

• Like 1

Great to see you have seen it as well. :)

Yes, one special movie. I simply can't believe finding out about this special film until just recently. Where on earth have I been living for the past 40 years?? :)

Everything this say in that conversation is just spot on. Like The Matrix...without the sizzle.

Best!

• Like 2

Well, let's see, I collect movies so..........

1. 'Out of Africa' (With Robert Redford, Meryl Streep and Klaus Maria Brandauer, and many other great actors)

2. 'Resurrection' (the old one, with Ellen Burstyn and other great actors, like Sam Shepherd) A GREAT and powerful movie!

3. 'Broken Arrow' (with John Travolta and Christian Slater)

4. 'Somewhere in Time' (with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour)

5. 'The Tao of Steve'  (with Donal Logue, Greer Goodman, Kimo Willis, and Jenniphr Goodman) [see my review of this movie elsewhere here at Dao Bums] I Love this movie mostly for the Land (New Mexico).

6. 'The Summer of '42'  (Jennifer O'Neil and Gary Grimes)

7. 'The Day After Tomorrow' (Dennis Quaid And Jake Gyllenhaal)

9. 'The Matrix' (With Keanu Reeves and Laurance Fishburne and many other great actors) [The first Matrix movie.....the other two shouldn't haven't been made, imo]

10. 'Last Summer' (It's out of print now, but it stars Barbara Hershey, Richard Thomas, Catherine Burns, and Bruce Davison ) I found out after I wrote this, that Amazon.com still sells the old original VHS version for around $75.00 a pop.

It's a really good movie, but unless you're rich, I wouldn't spend $75.00 on it myself.

I further found out that this movie originally got an X Rating, but because they wanted to sell it, they cut out some footage, and it became an 'R' rated movie. And after that, when the cable companies got a hold of it (think HBO here) they cut it even further, to 'clean it up', it then became a 'PG' rated movie.

The original X-rated version has only been seen by the censors, and in 2012 by some film academy, I forget which one.

I found this interesting piece on wikipedia:   

• All original 35mm prints of the film have been lost for years. In 2001 a 16mm print was located at the National Film and Sound Archive of Australia after a two-year search and was brought to Los Angeles. Apparently it was the only surviving film version of the movie.

Another update here: 'The Vermont Movie Store' sells a region 1 DVD version of this movie for $19.99.

11. Up in the Air (With George Clooney and Vera Farmiga)

12. The 'Taken' series (If I remember correctly, there's either 6 or 7 DVD's) The BEST UFO movie ever made! Executive Director Steven Spielberg

13. 'The Last of the Dogmen'  (with Barbara Hershey and Tom Berringer)

14. 'The Last of the Mohicans' ( With Daniel Day-Lewis and Madeleine Stowe)

15. 'The Note Book' (A lot of people call this "a chick flick". But I thought that it depicted Love in a very powerful and realistic way!)

(Starring Ryan Gosling, Rachel McAdams, James Garner, and Gena Rowlands) 

16. 'Red Eye' (With Rachel McAdams, and Cillian Murphy)

17.  'Saving Private Ryan'  (With Tom Hanks, Edward Burns, and Tom Sizemore) [and many more great actors!] Basically an anti-war movie. If you can watch the entry of Tom Hanks and his crew onto Omaha Beach, and not understand the insanity of war, then you obviously are not paying attention!

18. 'Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb'    (Peter Sellers    [who plays plays multiple characters] and George C. Scott)

19. 'Into the Blue' (With [the late] Paul Walker and Jessica Alba)  If you love "short skirts and bikinis", then THIS MOVIE was made just for you!  lol

20. 'Alien' (With Sigourney Weaver and Tom Skerritt.....and many other great actors!)

21. 'Aliens'  (With Sigourney Weaver and Michael Biehn.......and many other fine actors)

I honestly feel very strongly, that Aliens 3 and 4 should NOT have been made, they were "money movies" and that's it, and that's ALL!

22.  'The Last Samurai'  (With Tom Cruise and Ken Watanabe)

23. 'Soldier Blue'  (A very OLD, but excellent movie, with Candice Bergen and Peter Strauss) Another powerful anti-war movie!

24. 'Little Big Man' (With Dustin Hoffman and Faye Dunaway)

25. 'Braveheart' (With Mel Gibson and Sean Lawlor and many other great actors!)

26. 'Three Days of the Condor' (With Robert Redford and Faye Dunaway and many other great actors!)

Another (in a way) anti-war movie. The book: 'Six Days of the Condor' by James Grady, is far better, and is a great read!

27. 'Dave' (With Sigourney Weaver and Kevin Kline) MAYBE, just maybe, this is a movie that WE ALL need to see right about NOW!  I won't tell you any spoilers, but it's about crooked and corrupt politicians at the highest level.....if you get my meaning!

28. Serpico (with Al Pacino and John Randolph, and many other great actors). This movie follows the Peter Maas book closely, but as almost always the book is far more comprehensive, and realistic.

This movie shows more then perhaps any other movie that I've seen that if De is followed, then one can do ANYTHING! Including stay alive!

I saw a comedian (Tony Randall, I think) bitching on Johnny Carson's 'Tonight Show' that the word "fuck" is used way too much in this movie. To which Carson came back and said, that this is a word used in the street, in real life, a lot.

In a lot of the movies that we see now in 2016, that word is used far more often, then it was in this fantastic movie!!

I claim NONE of these as consciousness raising movies (with the possible exception of 'Resurrection', with Ellen Burstyn).

But all of them are great, and some of them are very, very famous movies, who will out live, you and I. 

I could go on for about another 20 or so movies, but there's my list, and I hope that you like it!

Keep on Daoing, Differently Abled Daoist

Edited by DifferentlyAbledDaoist

Men with Guns (1997)

a wealthy guatemalan doctor nearing the end of his career/life goes to the countryside to find 7 former students

who he had trained to care for the poor. he finds a different legacy than he expected.

Movie Censorship.  Those are two very powerful words.

I'm going to give you 2 excellent examples of how these affect even *very famous* movies.

These two scenes are gone FOREVER, except in some movie censorship lab.

In 'Little Big Man' Faye Dunaway is bathing Dustin Hoffman and she reaches down into soapy water to get the bar of soap that she was using to bathe Dustin Hoffman with.

And he (Hoffman) holds up the bar of soap and says "Here's the soap Mrs. (whatever her movie name was)!"

What was Faye Dunaway grabbing?  The censors decided FOR ALL OF US that we shouldn't even THINK about that!

Scene # 2 'Goldfinger' with Sean Connery and Honor Blackman.  James Bond gets shot with a knockout gun, and he awakens aboard Goldfinger's jet plane. Honor Blackman (the pilot of the plane) leans down (with plenty of cleavage showing), and says:  "My name is Pussy Galore". James Bond says: "I must be in Heaven!"  lol  

Those two scenes were deleted FOREVER by movie censors. About 3 to 5 seconds was cut from 'Little Big Man'.

And they had Sean Connery say in the "cleaned up" version: "I must be dreaming!". Connery KNEW THIS, and went along with it, to the point of dubbing the film with a whole new line!

Movie censorship IS VILE, and sickening. It goes against the very fabric of artistic freedom!

And it pisses me off! Big time!

Yours in Dao. D.A.D.

Edited by DifferentlyAbledDaoist

I watched a film called Martyrs a few years back.

I would not watch it today - it's extremely violent, graphic, and brutal.

Nevertheless, it spoke to deep spiritual themes in an intelligent and insightful way, albeit horrific.

Some will simply find it gratuitous and offensive.

Caveat emptor

He was never in time for his classes...

He wasn't in time for his dinner...

Then one day...

He wasn't in his time at all.

There are so many important philosophical scenes in this movie and it has the rare combination of great action. :)

Edited by OldWolf

"Black Mirror," I think it's a must-see.  Here's the wiki description:

Black Mirror is a British television anthology series created by Charlie Brooker that features speculative fiction with dark and satirical themes that examine modern society, particularly with regard to the unanticipated consequences of new technologies.[1] The show was first broadcast on the British broadcaster Channel 4 in 2011. In September 2015, Netflix commissioned a third series of 12 episodes.[2] The commissioned episodes were later divided into two series of six episodes; the third series was released on Netflix worldwide on 21 October 2016.

Regarding the programme's content and structure, Brooker noted, "each episode has a different cast, a different setting, even a different reality. But they're all about the way we live now – and the way we might be living in 10 minutes' time if we're clumsy."[3] The series has received critical acclaim, and has seen an increase in interest internationally (particularly in the US) after being added to Netflix.[4]

• Like 2

Mushi-Shi:  This is a gem of a two season animated series.  Spirits, known as Mushi, surround our life and on occasion, interact with humans in strange and sometimes harsh manners...  Mushi Master Gingko travels Japan on foot, deciphering the nature of the mushi and coaxing the spirits out of harms way when possible, as they collide with the lives of humans. 

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 1

The story of Milarepa who ventured into sorcery then redeemed himself.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499238/

Its subtitled in english, no english dubbing yet.

UJetsun Milarepa (Tibetan: རྗེ་བཙུན་མི་ལ་རས་པ, Wylie: rje btsun mi la ras pa) (c. 1052 – c. 1135 CE) is generally considered one of Tibet's most famous yogis and poets. He was a student of Marpa Lotsawa, and a major figure in the history of the Kagyu school of Tibetan Buddhism

When his father died, Milarepa's uncle and aunt took all of the family's wealth. At his mother's request, Milarepa left home and studied sorcery. While his aunt and uncle were having a party to celebrate the impending marriage of their son, he took his revenge by summoning a giant hailstorm to demolish their house, killing 35 people, although the uncle and aunt are supposed to have survived. The villagers were angry and set off to look for Milarepa, but his mother got word to him, and he sent a hailstorm to destroy their crops.

Many of Milarepa's deeds took place in the homeland of Chö kyi Drönma, the Samding Dorje Phagmo, and his life and songs were compiled by Tsangnyön Heruka, sponsored by her brother, the Gungthang king Thri Namgyal De.

Milarepa later lamented his evil ways in his older years in conversation with Rechungpa: "In my youth I committed black deeds. In maturity I practised innocence. Now, released from both good and evil, I have destroyed the root of karmic action and shall have no reason for action in the future. To say more than this would only cause weeping and laughter. What good would it do to tell you? I am an old man. Leave me in peace."

• Like 2

Probably one of the most profound confessions on what it's like to be blind... emotional roller-coaster. I post it here because I think, the idea of being forced to go within to find new ways of seeing... must be enlightening.

https://youtu.be/SAY1r13Xe5M

Edited by neti neti
  • Like 1

The story of Milarepa who ventured into sorcery then redeemed himself.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499238/

Its subtitled in english, no english dubbing yet.

UJetsun Milarepa (Tibetan: རྗེ་བཙུན་མི་ལ་རས་པ, Wylie: rje btsun mi la ras pa) (c. 1052 – c. 1135 CE) is generally considered one of Tibet's most famous yogis and poets. He was a student of Marpa Lotsawa, and a major figure in the history of the Kagyu school of Tibetan Buddhism

When his father died, Milarepa's uncle and aunt took all of the family's wealth. At his mother's request, Milarepa left home and studied sorcery. While his aunt and uncle were having a party to celebrate the impending marriage of their son, he took his revenge by summoning a giant hailstorm to demolish their house, killing 35 people, although the uncle and aunt are supposed to have survived. The villagers were angry and set off to look for Milarepa, but his mother got word to him, and he sent a hailstorm to destroy their crops.

Many of Milarepa's deeds took place in the homeland of Chö kyi Drönma, the Samding Dorje Phagmo, and his life and songs were compiled by Tsangnyön Heruka, sponsored by her brother, the Gungthang king Thri Namgyal De.

Milarepa later lamented his evil ways in his older years in conversation with Rechungpa: "In my youth I committed black deeds. In maturity I practised innocence. Now, released from both good and evil, I have destroyed the root of karmic action and shall have no reason for action in the future. To say more than this would only cause weeping and laughter. What good would it do to tell you? I am an old man. Leave me in peace."

I just watched the film.

The story and it's meaning are profound, the acting didn't seem too good to me though. Maybe it's just a cultural difference, I don't know.

But thanks, it made for a contemplative evening!

Is there a part two?

• Like 1

I'll go out on a limb and say despite the violence and gratuitous nudity, that HBO's Westworld is worth watching for the excellent acting and philosophical questions on free will it raises. 

• Like 1

I just watched the film.

The story and it's meaning are profound, the acting didn't seem too good to me though. Maybe it's just a cultural difference, I don't know.

But thanks, it made for a contemplative evening!

Is there a part two?

Not as of yet, though there are written works that chronicle the life of Milarepa.

Many of them available across the internet or for order at your local bookstore.

Theatrical releases I agree tend to be a product of western thought I recently read about in a few articles.  Especially where there is the need to develop emotional connection to characters by the audience through the story and plot.

Oh, by the way samurai jack is back, after 12 years and 50 years into the story.  They promise to wrap up the story this season, as Samurai Jack struggles with himself and his fears/giving up hope.

• Like 2