Running on karma is a really good movie. Its about a buddhist monk who gains the ability to see karma and cannot come to terms with it because he feels it unfair. So he renounces being a monk :P and becomes a bodybuilder (lol). He then meets a girl who he sees is going to die and trys over and over to save her from her fate, but her fate keeps catching up.

Its a goofy movie with the actor being in a body suit to look the part of a bodybuilder and he ends up fighting all these criminals with psychic abilities while trying to change the karma of this woman. The story is super solid and the ending is legendary. One of my favorites.

Zen is also a really good movie. its been so long since ive seen it so ive forgotten the plot besides that i really enjoyed it when i watched it haha.

• Like 1

Revolver (2005) - Guy Ritchie

this is an action film which has a great deal of depth to it, deals with ego, self etc in an entertaining and skilful manner.

My Dinner with Andre (1981) - Louis Malle

two old friends have a long talk about life at a restaurant, one is a realist/skeptic and the other an idealist, my favourite film at the moment, full of life.

Snowpiercer (2013) - Joon-ho Bong

action/thriller/sci-fi, the world is in an ice age, and everyone is living on a train which travels the world's circumference. an allegory for society and capitalism, systems in our reality which are flawed and falling apart, a spiritual film from my perspective as well in some aspects.

Edited by mysterie
  • Like 2

Mindwalk: A powerful conversation between a poet, politician and physicist in an old Irish Castle, about the shifting awareness away from the Cartesian model toward Systems thinking.

• Like 1

Another movie I really enjoyed recently:

Bab'Aziz (2005)

"But where is this gathering?
- I don't know, my little angel.
But do the others know?
- No, they don't know either.
How can you go to a gathering without knowing where it is?
- It suffices to walk, just walk. Those who are invited will find the way.
"

Wonderful, inspiring and with Sufi wisdom written all over it.

Highly recommended.

:)

• Like 1

I love this thread.

I recently watched "Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons"... I thought it was better than Kung Fu Hustle and funnier, too.

Also I would like to add "THX 1138" to the list, hardcore.

Edited by woodcarver
  • Like 2

The Matrix movies are definitely my pick

the second one in particular has some outstanding sequences of dialogue on the nature of reality, consciousness and morality...  really good stuff.

John Carpenter's 'In The Mouth of Madness' - awesome 'horror' movie that's a lot smarter than it seems, raises a lot more questions than it ever gives answers. one of my all time faves for sure...

• Like 1

Any enterprising person with time on there hands want to see which of these movies is available on Netflix?

The movie I mentioned Cafe was on Netflix, but no longer. 

A Night at the Roxbury! - Netflix

I did see a lot spiritual content in this movie. I’m dead serious! There are spoilers in the spoiler…

The story is about two brothers who frequent nightclubs and dream of opening their own someday. To do this, they get their mentality correct FIRST because “it all starts from within”. When things start to go downhill, one of the brothers is tempted to marry a girl out of convenience and pressure from his family and to live a typical life of business. His brother changes his mind to live out their dream and everything falls into place including their nightclub and better girlfriends. There's also a very “zen” looking setting at the end when he decides to not marry the girl. :ph34r:

What is love? ;)

This is a review (on Looper.com) speculating about an Unenlightened one.  I thought it was very funny. 

Art Imitates Life
Interestingly, the fact that this movie exists at all is a testament to the fact that no one learns from their mistakes.
The folks building the Jurassic World theme park didn’t figure out that this is a bad idea.
The people visiting Jurassic World should know that they are totally going to get eaten by these crazy dinosaurs.
The people making Jurassic World haven’t figured out that making a movie with the word “Jurassic” in the title isn’t enough to make a good film.
Lastly, the people who pay money to see it should know that they are totally going to be made bored by these crazy dinosaurs.

Was going to mention the Peter Seller's gem, Being There, but searched first to see if someone had already added it to the list:

Being There

Someone had...

:)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

THE WIRE

The BATTLESTAR GALACTICA redux

Neither are 'movies', but in my opinion television series have a far greater capacity for development, storytelling, relating and exploring what it is to be human... and these 2 set the standard, for me.

This is anime on Netflix, but my son and I are going through the Sword Art Online series.  Nice sci fi set up as 10,000 people are trapped in a virtual reality game.  Months go by between episodes.  Solid story telling.

I do not know if anybody has mentioned, but there are two amazing movies on my list:
"La vita e bella"

"Life of Pi"

two really great stories

• Like 2