Sign in to follow this  
Peregrino

Healing a Hematoma

About three weeks ago I took a hard shot to my ribs--the area just under my left pectoral--during a sparring session in my boxing class. I didn't think much of it and kept fighting. There was pain, but not the kind to bring me to my knees. In fact, I was pumped up for the calisthenics at the end of class, and the next day I did a hard lifting routine with the bench press, squats, and deadlifts. The pain was still there, but I figured I could train through it--unlike the rotator cuff injury I sustained some years ago.

Silly me . . . In subsequent days I found it hard to get out of bed, twist, or bend. In fact, any exercises involving any kind of trunk support were out--including running. My old "groove-greasing" stand-bys--push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, leg-rasises, etc.--were still possible, but I noticed that I would feel even *more* pain some hours later. (The only strength-endurance exercise that hasn't given me any problems has been weightless squats.)

I finally broke down and went to a doctor and got some tests, namely an X-ray and an ECG. Although my doctor initially suspected a slight fracture, it turned out that my ribs are fine, there are no shredded muscles, my cardio health is great, and there's no damage to the inner organs. It's just a stubborn hematoma that's not externally visible. Although I've been taking some anti-inflammatories, the doctor told me that the main thing I should do is rest--for the NEXT MONTH, or EVEN MORE! Given the great boost I get from my training, this was a harder blow to take than the initial one. (Note to self: ALWAYS KEEP A TIGHT GUARD!)

Stubborn as I am, I've tried other moderate remedies such as ice and heat, subject of another thread here. Although both of those extremes provide some temporary relief, the pain and lack of mobility still won't go away. My trainer recommended an anti-inflammatory ointment that I've tried and it's given me some temporary relief, but still, nothing dramatic.

So, maybe I'm still just being too stubborn, but since this forum attracts a lot of people who "think outside of the box" regarding health and medical matters, I was wondering what kinds of advice any Tao Bums cold give me about facilitating this healing process. My doctor said that massage wouldn't help, but bodywork isn't really her specialty, so I'm ready for another opinion . . . Indeed, I appreciate any input from anyone who has dealt with this kind of injury.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Peregrino

A few questions.

How many days ago?

Does it hurt when you breath?

Does it hurt when you are sitting still?

Does the joint closest to the injury cause any pain (anywhere) when it's taken through it's full range of motion? IE when you rotate your left shoulder forward or backwards?

Are there any reference pains other then the original area of injury?

Spectrum

I use Woodlock externally for injuries.

You can buy it in chinatowns or do a google.

I also use wet heat - hot water bottle with a

damp towel wrap. Before sleep is good

Breathe gently and send your breath into the

area as much as you can.

Peregrino,

Arnica and Ledum would be the homeopathics to use. Arnica for injury and all the associated damage, and Ledum especially helps reabsorb blood. Can really work wonders. 30C potencies of both would be very safe to take several times a day until healed.

Karen

Localized Tui Na Treatment might increase mobility and limit localized pain. If you find a point particularlly sore rotate the closest joint (shoulder) through it's ranges of motion and see how that effects the feeling of the area. Point manipulations can include direct index finger pressure, thumb pressure, palm pressure, tapping, etc. Motions could include direct to point, counter clockwise center out, or clockwise circumference to center.

Also some general motions that are NOT generated from the area of injury, IE your weightless squats will aid in moving blood and lymph through the area (like tai chi pumps blood and fluids through the bodies natural hydrodynamic nature).

If breathing hurts your first line of defense will be working from whichever part of the breath cycle hurts. For instance if it's painful to fully inhale, then you can set that as your baseline to work from to mark improvement.

Just trying to point out the markers along the Way. Hope ya heal up fast!

Spectrum

Some good Dit Da Yuen and gently massaging away from the heart might help if you wanna go the kung fu route. I've used this before and it helps. I used to get it at Brendan Lai's Martial Arts Supply. He made a really good one. He passed away though so I do don't know if anyone is still making the Dit Da or what.

Shen Martial Arts has good Dit Dat Jow:

www.shenmartialarts.com

I'm curious about the 'hematoma.' Could they 'see' it on your test? ECG and...Xray? Or was that "could be hematoma' diagnosis?

Wrestlers and such often get hematomas you can see very well, like when their ears swell up and turn purple with blood. Yours isn't visible? I'm just trying to get specifics because you definitely don't want a blood clot moving into your blood stream.

Maybe muscle knots are the culprit instead? If so, attack and root out. If hematoma is the problem. Hey, a little downtime is good too. Often you come back to your training in much better physical and mental shape then you left.

Sign in to follow this