dwai

Amazing video - Guo Shifu

Wow i don't practice Bagua and have only practiced a little bit of Tai Chi and i was very impressed by this video .

This was some deep shit:

"Anyway, regardless of whether you are doing tuishou (push hands) or sahnshou (free sparring) you should let all the force the opponent projects at you fall upon you as falling upon a sphere. The Rolling of your sphere allows you to avoid the opponents attacking power. Then go with the rolling of the sphere and present another surface to him." Guo Shifu

Gonna give this some deep contemplation and see how it integrates into my Bokken practice.

-My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen

Very impressive, especially for someone this young. Besides, he seems to teach well, making the principles (correct angles, unbalance from the first touch etc) very clear.

Thanks for posting the vids, indeed he reveals the "secret"; practicing the foundation excercises for hours and hours without ceasing, theres no way you can build that level of internal power otherwise.

I'd love to experience being uprooted with a gentle turn of the arm, seems like some people in other arts love to act this out when none of them actually have the internal skill to manifest this ability.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the vids, indeed he reveals the "secret"; practicing the foundation excercises for hours and hours without ceasing, theres no way you can build that level of internal power otherwise.

I'd love to experience being uprooted with a gentle turn of the arm, seems like some people in other arts love to act this out when none of them actually have the internal skill to manifest this ability.

there are several other similar videos here --

http://www.youtube.com/user/baguamaweiqi

<div><br></div><div>Here's another amazing video --</div><div><br></div><div>

<br></div> Edited by dwai

dvd's do provided a pathway to get too more advanced practices later on and generate interest to westerners in general, so I think they are important and am grateful for those who bother to put the teaching out there for us

• Like 2

Very impressive. I had a tai chi teacher in china and he was very good but this guy is definately much better. He's amazing

• Like 1

this guy is good, with a very solid centre and has great chi power. I would love to meet up with him in 20 years time when he has mellowed and has lived some more, when he has some wisdom of life besides fighting.

Edited by astralc

I watched these two videos and wasn't that much impressed. His dummies (students)were exactly that, they had no centre, no strength and very weak legs, nor sinking, anyone could have pushed them over, even a beginner. It always looks impressive when one guy pushes another over or out of the way. Do it with a very heavy inanimate object and one will then see if the instructor has any fa jin.

I watched these two videos and wasn't that much impressed. His dummies (students)were exactly that, they had no centre, no strength and very weak legs, nor sinking, anyone could have pushed them over, even a beginner. It always looks impressive when one guy pushes another over or out of the way. Do it with a very heavy inanimate object and one will then see if the instructor has any fa jin.

Flowing hands,

the thing is you get rarely attack by inanimate objects.

It is also something psychological. The students see and know what could happen

if you not allow to happen you will get more of the force. The centre from the feet is suck up when they stand in front of Guo Sifu. Especially when you get hit and have to repeat it, even your mind does not fear, the body does.

Confidence is one of strength that has to be developed in the martial arts so one can actual relax when one has confrontation in front of the hands.

When two body have equal ability and muscular strength then the minds decide who is stronger.

Best,

Q

• Like 1

To see the strength of Fa Jin practitioner is by observing how far back of the opponent had been moved and by his reaction.

If they are at equal level, the opponent wouldn't have been moved or just fell half way back instead of flying away with no resistance as shown in the video.

Its difficult to gauge these things without actually crossing hands with someone. Wht i liked about his videos was thr power apparent in the execution. Have you seen anything tht is impressive on video? Do share :)

Its difficult to gauge these things without actually crossing hands with someone. Wht i liked about his videos was thr power apparent in the execution. Have you seen anything tht is impressive on video? Do share :)

Yes, one should able to gauge it if one had Fa Jin experience before.

Edited by ChiDragon

saaaaaaaay, if you have been doing horse stance for a very long time, how would you fare against attack like this?

:lol:

Yes, one should able to gauge it if one had Fa Jin experience before.

oh of course! silly me... wacko.gif

I don't like to be critical of people, but I am becoming overwhelmed by the amount of so called masters from China, in particular who use the 'fa jin' pushing of obvious students, who are very weak and accepting of that force. The pushing away or throwing really has evolved from Tai chi and really has very little martial value. In the great armory of different styles that I have been taught there in no pushing away. One must ask why? There is the deep penetrating fa jin on touch that destroys tissue and causes internal bleeding or at the very least severe pain. This has some martial value in respect that you are at least temporarily disabling your opponent. Try and push away someone who is very rooted and knows what they are doing you will end up on the floor with your head taken off, or your arm very badly broken. Try using fa jin against someone whose power is far greater than yours and you will receive your own push. There is no value martially or trying to impress someone who has deep knowledge by pushing a weak person over. It really just speaks volumes. I would be more impressed if the sifu concerned showed his patterns using proper applied technique with internal power. One would then know that when he applied his technique in a real situation, he has developed the right force for the job.

I don't like to be critical of people, but I am becoming overwhelmed by the amount of so called masters from China, in particular who use the 'fa jin' pushing of obvious students, who are very weak and accepting of that force. The pushing away or throwing really has evolved from Tai chi and really has very little martial value. In the great armory of different styles that I have been taught there in no pushing away. One must ask why? There is the deep penetrating fa jin on touch that destroys tissue and causes internal bleeding or at the very least severe pain. This has some martial value in respect that you are at least temporarily disabling your opponent. Try and push away someone who is very rooted and knows what they are doing you will end up on the floor with your head taken off, or your arm very badly broken. Try using fa jin against someone whose power is far greater than yours and you will receive your own push. There is no value martially or trying to impress someone who has deep knowledge by pushing a weak person over. It really just speaks volumes. I would be more impressed if the sifu concerned showed his patterns using proper applied technique with internal power. One would then know that when he applied his technique in a real situation, he has developed the right force for the job.

This comment really shows your lack of experience in internal martial arts.

This guy has incredible power. That's all I have to say.

• Like 2

This comment really shows your lack of experience in internal martial arts.

This guy has incredible power. That's all I have to say.

Rubbish, I judged the national tai chi and internal arts championships some years back, have you?

FH....

The master was using his student for the demo because the student had falling trainings. Any master is an expert in controlling the amount of strength to assure not to hurt anybody. He is not picking the weak to be beaten. He was not using full power when he Fa Jin. If he did go full blast, then the student would be in more danger of being hurt. Self control is the higher degree of accomplishment of a superb master. If they want to hurt someone, then it would be very severe.

BTW The purpose of the demo was only to show his partial strength of Fa Jin by the distance of his hand had moved. If he took one step forward, then it would be much stronger. The student would had been flew away a lot farther.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 2

Rubbish, I judged the national tai chi and internal arts championships some years back, have you?

Flowery, showboating wushu, without any power. Real tai chi and internal arts is not for the sports hall demonstration.

I pay no attention to such competition.

• Like 4