Sign in to follow this  
DalTheJigsaw123

Swiss woman dies after attempting to live on sunlight; Woman gave up food and water spiritual journey

Very sad!:( This is interesting, however. Anyone know of anything about this type of style of living? I know that fasting is a hugely popular all around the world, but not eating or drinking? I know Gandhi did this, but he was motivated politically.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/swiss-women-dies-giving-water-food-thought-live-sunlight-article-1.1067359

http://www.angelfire.com/stars3/breathe_light/types.html

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/breatharian.htm

These people lately have gained by german documentary "In the Beginning There Was Light" by Austrian director P. A. Straubinger about living on light

and get example of some people even in Europe who would not eat nothing or very little.

(Very fun and in some part motivating)

There will be then always people who then test and try to imitate and do the last step

when they are not ready to survive it.

Best,

Q

• Like 1

A few years ago I had heard of one other person doing this. She still ate and drank, and I think it was more of a lifestyle choice rather than a spiritual quest. She would begin her day by staring at the sun for an hour. She was pure vegan and didn't like for any of her food to be cooked. (Although after reading your final link, perhaps she was on a spiritual quest and just a step away from quitting food altogether.)

My first tai chi teacher had a student whose ambition was to become a "breatharian".

He got down to the stage where he was subsisting on one apple per day and I have never beheld a man who looked so weak and ill. He really was a sight to behold.

He emmigrated to Crete to open his own tai chi centre and I have not heard of him since.

Many people get the idea into their heads that to be able to live without food and even water is a sign of high spiritual attainment. I can see that the idea is an attractive one (to gain your sustenance from air and sunlight) but I also feel that it is somewhat akin to wanting to able to lie on a bed of nails.

There are enough people on this site involved in practices that probably do them more harm than good. Starving yourself to death will be a useful addition to the list :D

• Like 3

There are enough people on this site involved in practices that probably do them more harm than good.

So true!

• Like 1

Have you seen the documentary? I saw the trailer, looks interesting.

Yes I saw, it quite question triggering.

There will be then always people who then test and try to imitate and do the last step when they are not ready to survive it.

Well put.

You probably all recall the "Buddha boy" who was documented going for long periods w/out food or water. There's a documentary on him on youtube somewhere.

Personally I'm curious how much cultivation work was put into this, or if the woman thought just basking in sunlight often was enough. IMHO you've really gotta get your ducks in order for something like this (or many other things) before you can seriously put it all into practice, otherwise you're ripe for hitting the wall.

• Like 1

It is sad... hopefully people do not do such foolish things in the future.

Such ascetism is truly not necessary. Buddha gave up ascetism as he found that it was not useful for liberation and awakening.

Edited by xabir2005
  • Like 1

I think the best breatharian practice is the one that evolves naturally. In one interview book 'Master of the Way' the woman who did QiGong talked about not eating for days. She didn't feel like it, so she wouldn't. Often she'd eat normally, other times she'd skip meals for a long period. She was very healthy, not skin and bones, and rarely got sick. She didn't try to be breatharian, instead she listened closely to her body. I met a Merkaba teacher in my travels, she had the same experience.

Some Westerners who are self experimenting on very low calorie diets look thin and very unhealthy. It may be they're ignoring the spiritual which can spark extra vitality. On the other hand, Mark Sisson of Daily Apple was just writing about fasting, singing its praises. He thinks it might give the longevity benefits of low calorie diet, while keeping a person strong.

Here is a very informative link for anyone looking at Western/scientific pro views of fasting- http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-questions-answers/#axzz1tIyCMW7c

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this