Sign in to follow this  
Birch

Do the math

I keep running into the Magic Square in various different (ostensibly) traditions.

Would like some input into this topic.

Thank you!

The magic square was known as the "Nine Palace Square(九宮格)" in Chinese. The Flying Star System in Feng Shui was based on it to the determine the position of the first star of each year.

The Nine Palace Square.

4 9 2

3 5 7

8 1 6

In case, just one didn't know, the forbidden city was built based on this lay-out. The number 5 and 9 are very important in the Chinese culture. It is because 5 is the central number and 9 is the highest in the nine number system. These two particular numbers were used to address the emperor as 九五之尊(The dignity of the nine and five).

The "5" position is where the emperor resides. Actually, the whole area of the "5" position was known as the "forbidden city(紫禁城)". Since it was the residence of the emperor, it was forbidden for anyone to enter. The entrance of the forbidden city is facing south(on top). The height of the door is nine feet nine inches in Chinese measuring units. There are nine gates for the entrances to the forbidden city. There are nine thousand and ninety-nine buildings in the forbidden city.

The proper translation for 紫禁城 is the "Purple Forbidden Castle". It was a castle intended for the emperor to reside. However, the character 城 can be translated as "castle" or "city". Actually the forbidden castle is within the forbidden city. Somehow, the westerners thought that the residential palace of the emperor was the whole Bei Jing Palace as the "forbidden city".

The color purple is the color for the number "nine". It is the highest color in the Chinese mythology. Therefore, the color was used to implicate that the emperor has the supreme power of authority.

Thank you both for your comments:-)

Purple nine stuff. I figure that's way out there.

Jerry Alan Johnson's hand seals manual has a practice of visualizing certain colors as the left hand goes through the 9 palaces pathway. These colors are unique to that practice...not the same as in feng shui for instance. I don't know if it describes the complete method...probably not!

Learned some about the 9 palaces in Kunlun...the details may be specific to that system. Of course, it's also part of the Primordial Alchemist logo.

I guess the numbers can't get distorted?

The corresponding colours and symbols can, very much so.

So what about the magic square was worth sharing across cultures?

In what other traditions is this magic square found?

In pretty much all cultures, the numbers 3 and 9 are significant spiritually (for whatever reason). Each row of 3 adds up to 15, each column of 3 does, and each diagonal of 3 does as well...so for that reason the numbers are significant and can't really change places, at least for this magic square.

When the flow is drawn out it kind of resembles the seal of Saturn, and apparently it's the magic square for Saturn.

saturn_char.GIF

There are of course other magic squares with patterns different from this one.

Alchemichal traditions. And those are to be found in all kinds of places! I keep running into this square at the moment because I'm cross-reading. I can't discriminate between traditions at this point as I don't know enough. Hence the unruly questions. So the paths you're referring to are overlays?

I have no idea about the seal of Saturn connection...but very interesting how it's exactly the same magical square. I can't discriminate between the sources/traditions either!

Sign in to follow this