steve

Ashtavakra Gita

A good friend gave me a CD he burned covering the Ashtavakra Gita.

Here is a link to a translation done by John Richards.

And here is a link to a translation by Thomas Byrom.

I intend to listen to the CD over the next few days or so and thought I'd start a thread to see if anyone is interested in discussing it.

• Like 1

A good friend gave me a CD he burned covering the Ashtavakra Gita.

Here is a link to a translation done by John Richards.

And here is a link to a translation by Thomas Byrom.

I intend to listen to the CD over the next few days or so and thought I'd start a thread to see if anyone is interested in discussing it.

My guru does discourses on it..i would love to see more

• Like 1

My guru does discourses on it..i would love to see more

Are you willing to share the name of your guru?

Are you willing to share the name of your guru?

Sure...Sri Sri Ravishankar (http://en.wikipedia....iritual_leader) )

http://www.srisri.com/50-51-text.htm

If you arrived here from a search engine, please view actual book page.

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar: The Way of Grace

Commentaries

Commentaries on the world's various scriptures are the pillars of Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's gift of wisdom. Here are the keys for living life effectively on a daily basis. All avenues of practical living are covered. Whatever situation we find ourselves in, we learn how to easily come back to our simple, natural, peaceful state of joy.

The Master's talks light our way as he reveals life's greatest insights. A Master is the mouth of the Divine whose

gentle words have the power to dissolve ignorance and transform our understanding of what is real and who we really are: We are free. Our nature is love. Our Being is infinite consciousness.

-----

Commentary on the Ashtavakra Gita

Thousands of years ago there was a king named Janaka. He had attained the highest position in a peaceful society, with a vast knowledge of life. But even then he was curious, he was restless. He wanted to know more.

One day an enlightened Master named Ashtavakra arrived at Janaka's court. What unfolded, says Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, was "the most unique conversation that has ever taken place on this planet." The text of this inter-action has been passed down for centuries as the Ashtavakra Gita. Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's commentary journeys deep into this timeless wisdom, which until now has never been so clearly available to the common man and applicable to present day life. Recorded in India, this video and audiotape series brings the ancient knowledge of Ashtavakra alive with meaning for your personal life.

Ashtavakra Gita is not for beginners, but rather for those who are already practicing meditation and have a certain degree of experience on the spiritual path.

Wake up and see your infinite Self. You are free. You have just been overshadowed by the events in your mind. That is all that has happened. A cloud has covered the sun. Yet what can any cloud do to the sun? Can a cloud destroy the sun?

Remember your nature. You are the witness of all events. Events will come and splash like waves on your shore and then recede. They go away from you, leaving you whole.

You are complete. Don't think you have to do something to complete yourself. You are total right here, right now. With wisdom you remove the ignorance. All these practices we do are just to remove the ignorance. Do not underestimate yourself.

-- From Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's Commentary on the Ashtavakra Gita

-----

The Middle Path

This path is the middle path. The golden path. Every step is complete in itself. It's not that you are aiming for a goal after some time. The goal is where you are.

In this path you are enthusiastic, yet at the same time you are patient. You do not become lethargic, you do not postpone things.

Often when people want to do something good for their personal development, they leave it to God. They say, "God willing, it will come to me." But when they want something in the world, they don't say, "God willing, I will have a house." You put your 100% into looking for relationships, for a house, for a job, for money, for entertainment. But when it comes to your spiritual growth, you postpone."

People are often to one extreme or another. People who have great patience are generally lethargic; they will do it later. Other people are too restless; they want it right now. In this path, patience and dynamic enthusiasm are required

together. This is the golden rule.

-- From Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's Commentary on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali

"With spiritual growth you become like a crystal," says Patanjali. A pure crystal assumes the color of the light reflected in it. Like this, the soul in you comes to reflect Divinity. Even the senses come to reflect the Divine. Your senses become totally active. When you look at a mountain, it reminds you of the Self, of consciousness. You look at a flower and the flower reminds you of consciousness. You look at the sun, moon, water, waves and they stir in you an idea of the unmanifest, formless energy of the Self. Every experience becomes bright and colorful. There is a keenness of observation. You become totally relaxed, yet at the same time you possess sharpness of awareness, strength of intelligence. Your senses become so clear. You can see better, think better, hear better. Like a pure crystal, your senses come to reflect all objects as one Divinity.

Return to TEXT ONLY Pages Sitemap

Edited by dwai

Sorry for the delayed response Boy, I've been taking my time with it.

I first approached it by listening to a recording.

Now I'm reading it... again...

Truly amazing.

What you referred to as the fool seems to be an ingenious tool.

The reader who is looking for or may have had experience with non-dual awareness but does not reside there at all times is constantly reminded of this. These reminders seem to frequently jar one back into that state and I think, over time, can help to stabilize this state.

Wonderful stuff!

Edited by steve

Reading Balsekar's commentary on this at present - 'A Duet of One'.... It is the most arresting piece of scripture I've read since picking up the Bible as a grown up and realising there was some bona fide wisdom in it as opposed to the fairy tales and spook stories I assumed were there.

Not read enough to post any insights or learned comments, perhaps they will come if this thread stays alive over the next few weeks.

The first few lines though seem to pretty much cut to the chase of the matter. The 'other' Gita I've read a lot, (Bhagavad Gita) is like a step by step, gradual approach to realisation. This is way more direct, which resonates a bit more with me these days.

It is not really you

Who acts or enjoys.

You are everywhere,

Forever free.

Forever and truly free, 7

The single witness of all things.

But if you see yourself as separate,

Then you are bound.

"I do this. I do that." 8

The big black snake of selfishness

Has bitten you!

"I do nothing."

This is the nectar of faith,

So drink and be happy!

Know you are one, 9

Pure awareness.

With the fire of this conviction,

Burn down the forest of ignorance.

Free yourself from sorrow,

And be happy.

http://bhagavan-ramana.org/ashtavakragita2.html

Edited by gatito

but I'd be wary of reading commentaries. The original text is all you should consider. If you don't understand something, try to remind yourself of the fact that there is really not much to understand.

That's very good advice Boy, and over the years I've come to realize this. Commentaries, to me, are an individual's interpretation and contain personal biases which tend to warp the original text somewhat.

Sometimes when I read a new text, and just don't understand it, I'll put it aside for a few days or weeks even.

When I return to it, after days and weeks of meditation and contemplation, suddenly it all falls into place.

• Like 2

Thought those of you who like the Ashtavakra Gita might enjoy this little debate. The dialogues are in Hindi but there is good cc in English.

• Like 2

Can those who know less judge rightly those who know more? but anyway,,

For the debate the entourage sat in judgement, and did not challenge the idea that one could not conquer by force. It implies that conquering happens , and force can be brought to bear. If one can force, one can conquer, and so why did they not disallow the point?

I enjoyed the clip though.

Edited by Stosh