Thunder_Gooch

Cancer-killing dandelion tea gets $157K research grant

I will continue to stay away from E and mushrooms as well. I like to know when I'm having fun.

Okay ... you are having fun ... NOW ! :)

• Like 1

I am a strict Paleo dieter(local, no GMO, pesticides, antibiotics, hormones, grass fed free range) doing Keto for almost a year, that has been in Ketosis now for 2 months straight. I started because of severe GI problems I was having, and have never felt better in my life. Plus, it doesn't hurt that I am losing a lot of body fat without muscle and becoming very lean! Technically speaking we do not even need carbohydrates at all to survive. There are many people who live very happy, healthy lives with zero carbs. Fats and proteins are where it's at!

If anyone is interested in the Paleo or Ketogenic diet please let me know if you would like any advice!

Is that a 'palaeolithic diet' ? If so I find that very interesting ... I had a book for a while on Neolithic Farming and I went to a workshop put on by its author, I found the subject can be easily extended to what I call 'Hermetic Farming'. If you wanted to start a thread on Paleo diet - go for it !

High Voltage (Lightning)

So if it doesn't kill you, it WILL cure you!!! :D

In my area we are getting more occurrences of Ross River Fever (blamed on climate change) - I had it a while back ... it was BAD! . The story is if you grab on to an electric cattle fence (Ummm... thats a 'low voltage' one) it can cure you. A friend had a dose and couldnt get rid of it ... things were difficult as he couldnt work, bring in an income or help look after the kids, so in desperation he went and tried it ... grabbed on the goat fencing ... he now seems recovered.

• Like 1

Anyway ... I came here to read and post about dandelion :D

I wonder if making dandelion coffee changes the benefit one gets from dandelion tea?

I wanted a replacement for my morning espresso ... dandelion tea didnt do it. So I did this; use the espresso pot, put the dandelion (the fine dark roasted variety not the light 'wood chip' type - and again, this type might not be as good ? ) with some cinnamon bark and green cardamon pods in (it can be reused several times ) and make it just like an espresso coffee - YUM!

At least when it goes in (to me) I get an overall 'YES' confirmation (as opposed to things that immediately set an internal alarm off - like artificial sweeteners or 'energy' drinks ... they make me spit and rinse my mouth out :wacko: )

Edited by Nungali

WELL .... after enough Southern Comfort even a Tasmanian scallop pie floater would taste .... .... nope ... excuse me ...

< runs off to barf >

• Like 1

Artemesinin

scientists are testing a recipe of wormwood and iron on breast cancer cells, and so far the results are encouraging. In a new study, researchers report that artemesinin--a derivative of the wormwood plant--kills iron-enriched breast cancer cells but doesn't harm many healthy ones. Artemesinin's destructive properties are triggered by higher than normal levels of iron in cancer cells.

Many experiments have found that artemesinin turns deadly in the presence of iron. In Asia and Africa, artemesinin tablets are widely and, in many cases, successfully used to treat malaria, because the parasite has a high iron concentration. Cancer cells can also be rich in iron, as they often soak up the mineral to facilitate cell division. The cells bring in extra iron with the help of transferrin receptors, special receiving points that funnel the mineral into the cell. Although normal cells also have transferrin receptors, cancerous ones can have many more.

almost all the cancer cells exposed to holotransferrin and artemesinin died within 16 hours. The compounds killed only a few of the normal cells. Lai believes that because a breast cancer cell contains five to 15 more receptors than normal, it absorbs iron more readily and hence is more susceptible to artemesinin's attack.

Frankincense

Leicester University researchers have found a cure for ovarian cancer in an aromatic gum resin obtained from an African tree. Researchers say that AKBA (acetyl-11-keto-beta-boswellic acid), a chemical compound in the resin, has cancer-killing properties. It has the potential to destroy ovarian cancer cells.

Frankincense (gum resin) is the resin of the Boswellia sacra, a small tree found across Africa and Arabia. The resin is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and is widely used in folk medicine to treat asthma, skin conditions and gastroenteritis among others.

Previous studies have shown the efficacy of AKBA as a potential medicine for treatment of many cancers( colon, breast and prostate). This is the first study to identify its ability to fight ovarian cancer.

After a year of studying the AKBA compound with ovarian cancer cell lines in vitro, we have been able to show it is effective at killing the cancer cells. Frankincense is taken by many people with no known side-effects,” Kamla Al-Salmani

“What has been most surprising is that the cells we have tested which are resistant to chemotherapy have shown to be more sensitive to this compound, suggesting frankincense may indeed be able to help overcome drug resistance, and lead to an improved survival rate for patients with late-stage ovarian cancer,” Dr Mark Evans

Okra

Okra kills 72% of human breast cancer cells in vitro

Note that the lectin is found in okra seeds, and researchers in this study obtained their lectin by water extraction from okra seed meal.

Okra pectin inhibits 75% of highly metastatic melanoma cells in vitro

Okra pectin is found just under the skin of the pods, and scientists have discovered it contains very unique compounds (highly branched rhamnogalacturonans) which have never before been observed in other pectins. Perhaps it is the newly discovered compounds that are responsible for the effectiveness of the pectin against melanoma.

pectin inhibited the proliferation of highly metastatic mouse melanoma cells (B16F10) by 75% after 48 hours of treatment and also increased the rate of programmed cell death (apoptosis) by nearly 23-fold.

Men who eat okra (Southern diet) have 40% less prostate cancer

The anti-tumor effects of a newly-discovered lectin, isolated from okra, Abelmoschus esculentus (AEL), were investigated in human breast cancer (MCF7) and skin fibroblast (CCD-1059 sk) cells. AEL induced significant cell growth inhibition (63 %) in MCF7 cells. The expression of pro-apoptotic caspase-3, caspase-9, and p21 genes was increased in MCF7 cells treated with AEL, compared to those treated with controls. In addition, AEL treatment increased the Bax/Bcl-2 ratio in MCF7 cells. Flow cytometry also indicated that cell death (72 %) predominantly occurred through apoptosis. Thus, AEL in its native form promotes selective antitumor effects in human breast cancer cells and may represent a potential therapeutic to combat human breast cancer.

Mistletoe Extract?

Based on her own experience as a colon cancer survivor, Page aims to educate the cancer community about the importance of combining conventional and complementary approaches to treatment.

Page attributes her current health condition to conventional surgery and complementary mistletoe extract, a therapy widely used in Europe as an alternative cancer treatment.

Hinderberger describes mistletoe extract as the "backbone" of his cancer protocol, the specifics depending on the patient's kind of cancer, current stage and treatment — surgery, chemotherapy or radiation.

While mistletoe is not approved by the federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA). It falls under the category of homeopathy and is paid for out-of-pocket, at a cost of $100 to $150 per month, depending on the extract intensity and number of injections.

Hinderberger explained that mistletoe contains viscotoxin, a poisonous substance that actively and directly kills cancer cells and boosts patients' cancer-fighting immune system via special proteins called lectins, Page became very interested. Once he added that the substance also prevents new blood-vessel formation in cancers and promotes natural cell death, she was all in.

Bindweed

Bindweed (Convolvulus Arvensis) is the most common weed in North America. Its extract (containing high molecular glycoproteins and polysaccharides) is a non-toxic anticancer agent. Cancer is surrounded by many small blood vessels (angiogenesis). If the angiogenesis is inhibited, cancer cells will be starved. Bindweed showed a strong angiogenesis inhibition effect on chick egg membrane model

Without bindweed
bind_fig2.jpg
With bindweed
bind_fig3.jpg
The bindweed extracts inhibited 53% of the melanoma (skin cancer) growth in mice.
The bindweed extracts inhibited 62% of the lung cancer growth in mice.
The bindweed extracts made the sarcoma mice live longer. All control mice were dead at 45 days but no bindweed mice died at 53 days.
The safe dose of bindweed extract can be 140 g a day for a 70 kg (156 lb) person.

潘念宗's Holistic + TCMish Approach

Edited by vortex
  • Like 1

Celery

We have all been known with the fact that celery is a great vegetable and should always be included into your diet. Besides its well known health benefits celery also is able to kill cancer cells.

The fact that celery kills up to 86% of the cancer cells in the lungs has been proved in a recent study. The powerful anti-cancer compound apigenin is known to kill different types of cancer cell including ovarian, pancreatic and prostate and breast cancers.

Woman who eat plenty amounts of apigenin through their diet are more like to reduce the risk of getting breast cancer by 19% and ovarian cancer by 20%.

Researches in China have shown that by eating one serving of two medium stalks of celery 2 to 3 times in a week may reduce the risk of getting lung cancer by 60%. However, it is not yet determined whether apigenin acts against cancer on its own or it acts together with the other beneficial celery compounds.

Vascular endotheial growth produces protein that acts stimulating for formation of new blood vessels. The unfortunate part of this protein is that is also helps the growth of cancerous tumors.

Apigenin, however, reduce the possibility of growing a tumor by decreasing the growth of vascular endothelial and it also reduce the growth of prostate, thyroid, leukemia and lung cancers. Since apigenin prevents the glucose uptake it also reduces the cycle of forming cancer cells in the pancreas. There are many strong reasons why you should add celery into your daily diet.

Preventing cancer growth, extraordinary source of fiber and a great antioxidant are just some of the benefits you can get if you consume celery. This beneficial vegetable can be eaten as an addition to stir fries, salsa, soups and vegetable smoothies or mixed into salads. The most important thing you should remember is that you always buy and eat organic and pesticide free products.

Chinese Toon

Toona can safely prevent and alleviate lung cancer proliferation in vitro and in vivo. It has the potential to be developed as an anti-lung cancer drug. Leaf extracts of Toona sinensis have cytotoxic activity on several cancer cells including prostate cancer cells. Gallic acid has been identified as the major anti-cancer compound. It is cytotoxic to DU145 prostate cancer cells. Intraperitoneal injection of Toona extract suppressed the proliferation of ovarian cancer cells without toxicity.

Chinese-Toon-Trees-Toona-sinensis-or-Ced

• Like 1

Dandelion Tea has been going for years.

When tea was on ration in WW2 Dandelion and Raspberry Leaf tea were very popular and many kept a taste for them when the tea came back off ration.

Only down side of Dandelion Tea IMO is that it makes you pee more than ordinary tea does.

Raspberry Leaf tea is delicious.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Some common wildflowers and "weeds," that you might even find already growing around your yard:

Mimosa_Pudica_3774.jpg
image001.png
plant.jpg
Bioactive flavonoids isolated successfully from Touch Me Not (Mimosa pudica), Aloe vera and stonebreaker (Phyllanthus niruri) may provide the much sought after cure for breast cancer.
flavonoids isolated from Aloe vera, Mimosa pudica and Phyllanthus niruri showed cytotoxicity activity against human breast carcinoma cell line (MCF-7) and the inhibitory concentration at 50 per cent growth (IC50) was found to be, Mimosa pudica, Aloe vera and Phyllanthus niruri.
Cytotoxic study suggested that flavonoid from Mimosa pudica has the maximum cytotoxic effect than flavonoid from Aloe vera and Phyllanthus niruri against MCF-7, Human breast cancer cell line (Mimosa pudica >Aloe vera >Phyllanthus niruri).

Commonly called stonebreaker, Phyllanthus niruri also known as ‘Chanca piedra’ belongs to the family Euphorbiaceae.
Whole plants have been used in traditional medicine for treatment of jaundice, asthma, hepatitis and malaria. It has a potent free radical scavenging activity and could scavenge superoxides, hydroxyl radicals and can inhibit lipid peroxides.

Mimosa pudica is a small or middle sizes tree about 1.5 metre in height with leaves are very sensitive, both pinnae and leaflets folding when touched. It belongs to Fabaceae family. It is reported to contain alkaloid, glycoside, flavonoids and tannins.
All parts of the plant are considered to possess medicinal properties. The plant has anti-microbial, anti-convulsant, hyperglycemic, anti-oxidant, anti-venom, diuretic, anti-cancer, antidiabetic, anti-fertility and anti-histamic activities. It is a creeping annual or perennial herb often grown for its curiosity values; as the compound leaves fold inward and droop when touched and reopens within minutes later.

Aloe barbadensis miller (Aloe vera), a member of the Liliaceae family, is a perennial succulent with turgid lace-shaped green leaves, and is referred to as the silent healer.
Aloe vera extracts have been reported to have many biological activities such as hypoglycemic, hypolipidemic, antifungal, anticancer, antioxidant and immuno-protective properties. Aloe vera plant has been known and used for centuries for its health, beauty, medicinal and skin care properties.
The name Aloe vera derives from the Arabic word “Alloeh” meaning “shining bitter substance,” while “vera” in Latin means “true.” 2000 years ago, the Greek scientists regarded Aloe vera as the universal panacea. The Egyptians called Aloe “the plant of immortality.”

Edited by gendao
  • Like 2

It's fun to see all these plants being recognized these days.

People had ignored such natural things for a long time in favor of scientific/industrial products.

My prior experience is people knowing more about plastic santa heads than just about anything outside.

But now it seems most of those people have cancer.

So the plants are the new thing, the best products, the magic bullets.

It's a little crazy, but it looks like a good trend.

Someone might eventually discover the whole world, and nature, and start wondering,,,

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 2

It'd be great to go out on the trail with an herbalist, learn about and pick native plants and make some tisanes from them.  Even better to do it with mushrooms; except for the tea part.

• Like 1

Blushwood (Hylandia dockrillii) Berries

Compound from Blushwood tree breaks down tumors in 70 percent of cases
A chemical found in a rare plant from Australia has the ability to "eat" cancerous tumors and completely eradicate them within days. The tumor-eating chemical is found in the seeds of berries of the Blushwood plant. The chemical, which is being called EBC-46, takes three weeks to extract and the process is quite difficult.
In most cases, a single dose of the treatment using the chemical caused the cancer cells in the tumor to degrade in just four hours. The tumor of one golden retriever named Oscar in the clinical trials on pets disappeared in just six weeks. The speed of how EBC-46 works is in stark contrast to conventional treatments like radiation and chemotherapy, which severely compromise the body's immune system and take several weeks before the cancer even begins to shrink.
"It kills the tumor cells directly; it cuts off the blood supply and it also activates the body's immune system to clean up the mess that's left behind,"
The chemical turns areas of the tumor purple within a matter of minutes. In a few hours, the tumor turns black and shrivels. Within days, the tumor simply falls off. In 70 percent of the clinical trials on pets, there were no side effects and the benefits were long-term. There were very little relapse cases within 12 months of being treated.

A study conducted at QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute in Queensland, Australia has recently shed new light on what could become the next big cancer treatment: the blushwood berry (Hylandia dockrillii). This naturally occurring fruit contains compounds that began killing off cancer cells almost immediately when studied in the laboratory.
Blushwood berries are the fruit of the blushwood tree, which is known to grow in only one region of the world: the rainforests of Far North Queensland, Australia.
These tropical trees are not found anywhere else on the globe, but grow in abundance near Australia’s northeastern tip.
These particular trees need very niche conditions to thrive—conditions which can only be found in specific portions of Far North Queensland, Australia.
Tumors were Gone within 48 Hours
When the EBC-46 was injected into the cancerous cells on the subjects, the tumors reacted by turning a dark color, then falling off.
The derivative from the blushwood berry is thought to cut off oxygen supply to the cancer cells, allowing for the removal of tumors without the need for surgery, chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
The researchers reported that most of the subjects’ tumors—previously considered a lost cause by veterinarians—were gone within 48 hours of being injected with EBC-46.
Under the microscope, the individual cancer cells began shriveling up and dying within mere moments of coming into contact with the EBC-46.
Dr. Boyle says EBC-46 works in part by triggering a cellular response which effectively cuts off the blood supply to the tumor. “In more than 70 per cent of pre-clinical cases, the response and cure was long-term and enduring, with very little relapse over a period of 12 months.”

The seed extract was found to eradicate different types of cancers within seven days.
“In less than 20 minutes the tumour had gone purple then black,” Denise said.
“Then within a couple of days the tumour just kind of shriveled up and dies.
When EBC-46 is injected it triggers and immune response, activating white blood cells to attack the tumour and shrink it to nothing.

1412831616228_wps_8_blushwood_jpg_n_nHyl

Blushwood (Hylandia dockrillii) Berries

Fingers crossed.  Were that it was so.  Too many times, hopeful studies have not panned out for the wider public.  As if cancer and tumors are trickier and more Frankensteinish then anticipated.