Thunder_Gooch

Cancer-killing dandelion tea gets $157K research grant

I heard about the potential of Dandelion a while back. Haven't been serious about daily intake yet but likely will add it to what I am currently taking as far as suppliments are concerned.

• Like 3

What parts of the Dandelion are used to produce the tea or extract?

Which parts where taken for the study?

Are these parts taken while the flower is yellow and blooming or when it's white and has its seeds already?

I heard you shouldn't eat them anymore as salad when it has it's seeds because it's poisenous then (the milky juice in it).

Edit: OK, I read it: ROOTS! ;)

Edited by Dorian Black
  • Like 2

Yeah, you want to get them before they even start to flower, springtime is best. Once they flower the leaves get bitter and nasty, although I dont know if it changes to roots at all.

Boiled some up just this afternoon. Bought from chinese store in a brown paper bag. Tastes more or less alright. My acupuncturist suggested it.

• Like 3

I wonder as a rule of thumb if anything green and 'edible' with a long root is packed with unusually healthy properties.

<edit.. I wonder if.. instead of beating my wife with a stick no wider then my thumb.. if anything green and 'edible' with a long root is packed with unusually healthy properties ;)

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

I wonder as a rule of thumb if anything green and 'edible' with a long root is packed with unusually healthy properties.

first of all, the rule of thumb was an 1800s rule that said that a man could beat his wife with a stick as long as that stick was no wider than his thumb. So thats a pretty misogynist reference FYI

second of all, i don't think you're on to anything there, mostly because different parts of the plant are edible.. like evergreens have edible needles and long taproots but some are poisonous (hemlock) and also poison ivy has a long taproot... so i think herbology in general is more complex than general rules account for... it seems that one needs specific knowledge when approaching the plant world when hungry or in need of medicine.

i tend to make some very abstract leaping points myself, but going from dandelion tea to wife beating ?

ime , a lifetime of herbal fascination and study and practice and experimentation,

there is something to the root thing.

i do agree herbology is a complex and deep area.

one man's weed is another man's herb ( i have been using this one since last friday)

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/h/hemloc18.html

157k for dandelion tea? good work , when you can get it. biggrin.gif

• Like 2

157k for dandelion tea? good work , when you can get it. biggrin.gif

Might be worth every penny and couple million more. Could be in a few years we'll find we were massively poisoning the very flower that could save us :).

• Like 1

I guess by now one has to ask what does not kill cancer? :rolleyes::lol:

• Like 2

I picked a bunch of them (dandelions) off the backyard today. It's pretty hard to get at the roots. I left them to dry out in a sunny place.

Next up. Nettles for diabetes.

We should be thankful that allopathic medicine is returning somewhat in the direction of herbal cures.

Cinnamon is also being seriously investigated for its cancer curing properties.

Cinnamon and Cancer

People who have an understanding of cancer apart from western medical establishment also understand why so many things have cancer-curing properties.

So, to recap and then some.. B)

Dandelion Root Extract

Thanks for the info, I had no idea it was thought to work on blood cancer.

I tried this brand before...thought it tasted horrible... :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/Dandelion-Root-Tea-30-Bag/dp/B00020HHO0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335117076&sr=8-1

Sabah Snake Grass

In South East Asia this is (supposedly) the cancer-busting miracle herb (drooping clinacanthus) :

http://goodguy.hubpages.com/hub/Herbal-cure-for-cancer

Not cheap. Someone told me they're selling for about 1 USD per leaf.

Cinnamon

We should be thankful that allopathic medicine is returning somewhat in the direction of herbal cures.

Cinnamon is also being seriously investigated for its cancer curing properties.

Cinnamon and Cancer

Pretty off topic... but would like to ask you something about cinnamon if I may. I read the other day about a cancer killing remedy:

drop cinnamon bark oil

tsp cinnamon

tbsp raw honey

cancer loves sugar, so the cancer cells quickly absorb the sugar in the honey, but with it they take the super powerful cinnamon bark oil, which is antimicrobial, antifungal, antiviral, anti - everything, plus the cinnamon powder. As soon as the cinnamon gets in the cancer cells alongside the sugar, it kills what is feeding off it.

It has been found effective.

But do you think this is too tough for a persons digestive system, for any length of time? What would be the possible side effects.. too heating? Maybe counter it with aloe?

I'm interested. What is the pairing of cinnamon with salty about? Sounds delicious!

Ginger

The subject of one study based out of Georgia State University, whole ginger extract was revealed to shrink prostate tumor size by a whopping 56% in mice. The anticancer properties were observed in addition to ginger’s role in reducing inflammation as well as being a rich source of life-enhancing antioxidants.

Kelley Eidem's Pepper & Fats

(1) Grate one habeneros pepper each day, putting it on bread

(2) Grate two cloves of garlic each day, putting them on bread

(3) 1-2 Tablespoons of Emulsified cod liver oil each day.* TwinLabs makes some wonderfully flavored cod liver oil.

I used the cod liver oil because I was not losing any weight or dealing with fluid retention. If I had either of those conditions, I would have used evening primrose oil instead of the emulsified cod liver oil.

(4) Smother the grated garlic and habaneros peppers with real butter and eat it

use of both hot peppers (which contain capsaicin) and garlic as well as ginger is actually backed up by "mainstream" scientific research as all of these have been found to have anti-cancer activity

Cod liver oil and evening primrose oil respectively are described as helping to balance an "off-balance" metabolism. Which of these oils to ingest depends on whether a person's metabolism is too anabolic or too catabolic. This is based on Dr. Revici's discovery of the "dualistic" nature of cancer.

To help correct a catabolic imbalance, Kelley Eidem suggests using evening primrose oil, while taking emulsified cod liver oil is indicated for those who are too anabolic.

Since most people seem to be too acidic which according to Kelley Eidem "translates into being too anabolic if they stay too acidic too long", the standard recipe listed above features taking emulsified cod liver oil.

The active ingredients here are probably capsaicin, Vitamin D3 & Vitamin K2 (menaquinone)...

Antineoplastons

Antineoplastons (ANP) are peptides and amino acid derivatives, discovered by Dr. S. Burzynski, M.D., Ph.D. in 1967.

Dr. Burzynski first identified naturally occurring peptides in the human body that control cancer growth. He observed that cancer patients typically had deficiency of certain peptides in their blood as compared to healthy individuals. According to Dr. Burzynski, Antineoplastons are components of a biochemical defense system that controls cancer without destroying normal cells.

Chemically, the Antineoplastons include peptides, amino acid derivatives and organic acids. They occur naturally in blood and urine and they are reproduced synthetically for medicinal use. The name of Antineoplastons comes from their functions in controlling neoplastic, or cancerous, cells (anti-neoplastic cells agents).

How do Antineoplastons work?

Antineoplastons act as molecular switches, which turn off life processes in abnormal cells and force them to die through apoptosis (programmed death of a cell). While they trigger the death of cancer cells, they do not inhibit normal cell growth. They specifically target cancer cells without harming healthy cells.

It is generally known that the cancerous process results from increased activity of oncogenes and decreased expression of tumor suppressor genes. Antineoplastons "turn on" tumor suppressor genes and "turn off" oncogenes restoring the proper balance in gene expression.

Zhineng Qigong

Been doing zhineng qigong about 10 years, starting after a diagnosis of incurable cancer. I feel as if I might be begining to do some of it better than I used to. It feels right enough that I keep going, teacher or no teacher, out here in the forest.

Kestrel

Edited by vortex
  • Like 1

I've heard we should be leery of test tube (only) based results. After all, oxygen kills most things, alcohol kills most things, heat, cold, exposure to air etc., until things are tested in at least the conditions of a warm blooded body, putting drops into petri dishes unfortunately means little.

• Like 1

Some key distinctions with "cinnamon":

A number of species are often sold as cinnamon:

- Cinnamomum verum ("True cinnamon", Sri Lanka cinnamon or Ceylon cinnamon)

- C. burmannii (Korintje, Padang Cassia, or Indonesian cinnamon)

- C. loureiroi (Saigon cinnamon, Vietnamese cassia. or Vietnamese cinnamon)

- C. cassia (Cassia or Chinese cinnamon)

486304_384894854934411_1437509308_n.jpg

Ceylon Cinnamon Versus Cassia Cinnamon

"Eat only the real Ceylon cinnamon", someone warned me in a discussion about the benefits of honey and cinnamon

This was when I had my epiphany about cinnamon. Before that, it has never struck me how a familiar spice like cinnamon could possibly be "fake". Much puzzled by that remark, I queried further to get more information and subsequently was rewarded with an enlightenment on this exotic spice through a more intensive search in the world wide web.

My subsequent aquiring and tasting of the real cinnamon (both ground and sticks) also confirmed what others have said about the two types of cinnamon. The following will open your eyes to realise that not all cinnamon are equal and to know exactly what kind of cinnamon you have been eating.

Real Cinnamon

Ceylon cinnamon has been hailed as the "true cinnamon" or the "real cinnamon" that possesses outstanding health benefits especially for the diabetics and those challenged by obesity and high cholesterol issues. Unfortunately this cinnamon which is native to Sri Lanka and sourced from the plant Cinnamomum zeylanicum is rather unknown to most people. In the United States and many parts of Asia, what the majority of us have been buying from the Supermarket and groceries and consuming is actually not the real cinnamon but Cassia cinnamon, which comes from a different plant called Cinnamomum cassia, also known as Chinese cinnamon that are mostly cultivated in China and Indonesia. While the two species of cinnamon share certain characteristics such as antimicrobial, and in terms of inhibiting the growth of fungi and yeast, and regulating blood sugar, their contents differ much in terms of the amount of coumarin, which is a naturally ocurring substance with strong blood-thinning properties. The coumarin level in Ceylon cinnamon is negligibly small, while that in Cassia cinnamon is an appalling 1200 times higher. The ingestion of large amount of coumarin or consumption of coumarin over a prolonged period of time can cause serious health damages and a negative impact on the liver and kidney. German FDA has warned against consuming the excessive intake of Cassia bark due to its coumarin content.

Ground Cinnamon

Because there is no way to tell if the cinnamon powder has been made from the Ceylon or true cinnamon versus the Cassia cinnamon, and most bottles of cinnamon we buy (including the bottle I currently have in my kitchen) do not indicate the type of cinnamon tree the cinnamon is sourced from. In many countries this Ceylon cinnamon is just not imported in the country. Check directly with the supplier to ascertain its origin of the cinnamon before buying the cinnamon powder. And my review of the two types of cinnamon powder? When the packages (ground and sticks) were air-freighted to me, I immediately opened one up and took a sniff of the powder. WOW BANG! It was exactly like how others have described it! The aroma was sweet enough to make you fall in love with it immediately. Its pleasant fragrance was a heaven and earth difference from the harsh, pungent Cassia cinnamon I had always known. Never did I ever expect cinnamon could smell so delightful. Immediately I was able to imagine the vast difference in taste it would make for baking pastries and cakes. Before that, I was never able to understand how one could make their own Christmas ornaments with Cinnamon sticks or allow the natural fragrance of cinnamon to fill their home. Now with just one sniff of the Ceylon cinnamon, I could make all those connections straight away. What a lovely discovery!

Ceylon Cinnamon Sticks

1lb bag — $13.99

• Like 1

This does not constitute advice to anyone else nor a prescription but dandelion tea is the best diuretic I have ever come across for flushing out my elderly kidneys.

Marvellous stuff. Potters herbal supplies sell it here in the UK.

• Like 2

^^ Note: According to this study, Cinnamomum cassia was effective against cancer too..

And more on DCA:

Cancer is cured but Big Pharma has no interest

Evangelos Michelakis of the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada, and his colleagues tested DCA on human cells cultured outside the body and found that it killed lung, breast and brain cancer cells, but not healthy cells. Tumours in rats deliberately infected with human cancer also shrank drastically when they were fed DCA-laced water for several weeks.

DCA attacks a unique feature of cancer cells: the fact that they make their energy throughout the main body of the cell, rather than in distinct organelles called mitochondria. This process, called glycolysis, is inefficient and uses up vast amounts of sugar.

Until now it had been assumed that cancer cells used glycolysis because their mitochondria were irreparably damaged. However, Michelakis's experiments prove this is not the case, because DCA reawakened the mitochondria in cancer cells. The cells then withered and died (Cancer Cell, DOI: 10.1016/j.ccr.2006.10.020).

Michelakis suggests that the switch to glycolysis as an energy source occurs when cells in the middle of an abnormal but benign lump don't get enough oxygen for their mitochondria to work properly (see diagram). In order to survive, they switch off their mitochondria and start producing energy through glycolysis.

Crucially, though, mitochondria do another job in cells: they activate apoptosis, the process by which abnormal cells self-destruct. When cells switch mitochondria off, they become "immortal", outliving other cells in the tumour and so becoming dominant. Once reawakened by DCA, mitochondria reactivate apoptosis and order the abnormal cells to die.

"The results are intriguing because they point to a critical role that mitochondria play:

they impart a unique trait to cancer cells that can be exploited for cancer therapy," says Dario Altieri, director of the University of Massachusetts Cancer Center in Worcester.

The phenomenon might also explain how secondary cancers form. Glycolysis generates lactic acid, which can break down the collagen matrix holding cells together. This means abnormal cells can be released and float to other parts of the body, where they seed new tumours.

DCA can cause pain, numbness and gait disturbances in some patients, but this may be a price worth paying if it turns out to be effective against all cancers. The next step is to run clinical trials of DCA in people with cancer. These may have to be funded by charities, universities and governments: pharmaceutical companies are unlikely to pay because they can't make money on unpatented medicines. The pay-off is that if DCA does work, it will be easy to manufacture and dirt cheap.

Paul Clarke, a cancer cell biologist at the University of Dundee in the UK, says the findings challenge the current assumption that mutations, not metabolism, spark off cancers. "The question is: which comes first?" he says.

DCA (Dichloroacetic Acid) Cancer Treatment and Potential Cancer Cure

Also Research Alternative Cancer/HIV-AIDS Treatments and Immune Response System Enhancers Such as:

MegaDoses of Intravenous Vitamin C Infusion Treatment, Vitamin B17 Apple and Apricot Seeds + Vitamin B17 Dieting/Injections, ProAlgaZyme, Graviola, CellQuest, Protocel, DCA, Rose-Bengal PV-10 and Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Dieting-Juicing (As well as Qi-Gong/Tai-Chi/Yoga Breathing Exercises)

How gold nanotech particles heated by IR light penetrating 3" deep into the body can kill cancer cells & tumors:

Modified Ecstasy (MDMA)

Excellent news !

Way back when I was a hell-raising clubber I consumed copious amounts of E. :D :D :D