Yoda

EFT

I know that this has been discussed before, but the search function doesn't go for 3 character searches and "emotional freedome technique" didn't dig anything up. Any links or thoughts are appreciated!

I was just reading this mini-course on eft: http://www.mercola.com/forms/eftcourse2.htm and it makes sense to me. I'll check it out.

The main EFT site is here.

My links are here,and scroll down to the section on EFT/hypnotherapy.

With all due respect to Gary Craig, there are IMO much more accessible and well-written manuals and audio tutorials. His 79-pg manual can be confusing and overly complicated, unless he's revised it in the past couple years. But hey, it's free.

Gary's DVD's are worth seeing to get a feel for how widely this method can be used, and how creatively it can be used in each situation. But to learn the basics, look for the other resources.

I should add to those links Silvia Hartmann's e-book, "Adventures in EFT."

-Karen

Karen have you found the other resources more effective? The basic algorithm that i've used on the emofree site has given me pretty iffy results.

I've gotten a lot out of EFT. I do at least a session or two a week. Karen got me into it. Good stuff. Was it freeform who was saying he found something he felt was more effective? Freeform, you around?

Was it freeform who was saying he found something he felt was more effective? Freeform, you around?

Yeah I found a technique which is pretty much the same as EFT, but it has a couple of very important differences that make it more effective... basically it's way more thorough - it's called Shallow Peat and you can find some good instructions here - although for some reasons the picture doesn't show all the accupoints for me - if that's the case with you, you can find the points to use here

Most people that try EFT or Shallow Peat and report that it doesn't work usually miss a step or two - each of the steps are important! For example sometimes people miss the step of evaluating their distress on a scale of 1 to 10, as silly as it might seem this is an important step and shouldn't be missed... also 'where in your body do you feel the distress?' - focusing on this while doing the points will make the whole thing far more effective.

EFT and Shallow Peat all work to dsicharge a polarity - so if the distress is 'I am nervous about my interview' there is a polarity between what you want 'doing well at the interview' and what you expect 'being nervous at the interview' - I sometimes recommend to shallow peat 'I want to do well at my interview' - because that settles the charge in the polarity more thoroughly.

Unfortunately neither shallow peat, nor EFT are permanent - they're great for little things, but dont expect to solve such things as 'I'm worried about my finances' forever - you may get a week or so of relief from doing a session on your finances, but the structure for the polarity still exists, and the charge is bound to re-build at some point - so you can keep doing shallow peat and eft when it comes up, or you can do Deep Peat which neutralizes the whole polarity - so you cant possibly have a problem with money (whether you're rich or poor) unless you want to (you can still play within the polarity, but you cant be controlled by it)

Unfortunately neither shallow peat, nor EFT are permanent - they're great for little things, but dont expect to solve such things as 'I'm worried about my finances' forever - you may get a week or so of relief from doing a session on your finances, but the structure for the polarity still exists, and the charge is bound to re-build at some point - so you can keep doing shallow peat and eft when it comes up, or you can do Deep Peat which neutralizes the whole polarity - so you cant possibly have a problem with money (whether you're rich or poor) unless you want to (you can still play within the polarity, but you cant be controlled by it)

Freeform,

Don't you think that big issues like "I'm worried about finances" "I want to be married" etc are such a huge constellations that it'll naturally take patience to turn things like that around? I'm thinking that the reason EFT may be felt as temporary would be that the session helped to quiet one aspect of the problem giving time for another aspect to surface, etc. And that once more territory is cleared, previously cleared issues may come up again for further healing?

Esther Hicks talks about cleaning up one humble thought at a time and just let the big beliefs evolve slowly and naturally in turn. It's a valuable survival mechanism that beliefs change slowly.

I think the essence of the work is to learn to interrupt and replace negative feelings with thoughts and feelings that feel slightly better and EFT type programs seem like they might be great ways to turbocharge this process.

I didn't learn much from the Deep Peat website. What's the gist?

-Yoda

Karen have you found the other resources more effective? The basic algorithm that i've used on the emofree site has given me pretty iffy results.

Not surprisingly. The basic algorithm is like the software, but you have to apply intelligent "thoughtware" to it in order to get the best results. You can sometimes use software right out of the box (I'm on thin ice here using computer metaphors!), for simple tasks. But for more complex tasks you have to bring more of your own understanding to it. And most of our problems are complexes of false beliefs.

That involves bringing more awareness to your thoughts, as freeform was describing. So that you become aware that the seemingly simple feeling, "I feel nervous about this interview" has beliefs lurking behind it, and it's those beliefs that form the "legs of the tabletop" that Gary Craig talks about. You have to collapse the legs that are supporting the tabletop.

So the question I think isn't which software is more effective, but are you applying the thoughtware that is addressing the deeper dimension that you need to address. Even better than the tabletop metaphor I think is the spiral, since it's not a linear process. You actually revisit the same issues again and again at higher levels and let go of more layers of false belief each time.

Silvia Hartmann's and Betty Moore-Hafter's books are both wonderful, and quite different in style. The Peat process is great and another way of applying the same basic software. Whatever resonates for you.

Betty's has some detailed and structured exercises, maybe a little more left-brained, and Silvia is maybe a little more right-brained, if I had to compare. Silvia's book "Advanced Patterns of EFT" is also wonderful after the first one.

The audio tutorial on the Heaven and Earth site is a great beginner tutorial, very concise and takes a lot less time than wading through Gary's material. But that's only to teach you the basic mechanics so you can start using the tool. But then you have to develop your skills with it. Many people learn better by hearing the instructions so they can do it physically at the same time, so that's just another learning aid.

These methods have the potential to be so effective mostly because they're applying the law of similars. You have to hit on the similar thought-remedy, and with thoughts there are many facets. Then there's a dimension of disturbance that these methods won't address, and that's where the false belief has taken hold on the somatic level. Then it's a qualitatively different kind of impingement on the life force.

You can shift things around temporarily and get some relief with EFT for those conditions, but usually not permanently curative results. So these methods are effective within a certain jurisdiction, and you can't expect them to work outside that. Well, you can, but then you EFT on that expectation :).

Like for example, someone who has some chronic condition can work through some of the emotional underpinnings and feel better to a certain extent, not to miinimize that achievement. But there are disease impingements there which are deeply lodged in the life force, and even people without major somatic complaints have these impingements. That's why many people just can't seem to get past a certain plateau of feeling "ok but wish I felt better."

-Karen

Esther Hicks talks about cleaning up one humble thought at a time and just let the big beliefs evolve slowly and naturally in turn. It's a valuable survival mechanism that beliefs change slowly.

I'm not sure that's true - most beliefs are taken on and changed instanteniously - you're a kid walking arround, a dog barks at you angrily = new belief - dogs are scary etc. If beliefs changed slowly, I think it would be a terrible survival mechanism (how many times would a sabre tooth have to bite before you stop trying to pet the beast!? :lol: )

I do see what you mean on an over-all identity/ego level - it's pointless re-inventing yourself completely straight away, it will never stick. So to explain Deep Peat and why EFT-type interventions are usually only temporary - when you use most techniques (including eft) - it presupposes that there is a state you dont want (say fear) and a state that you do want instead (say love)...

love and fear are a polarity - you cant really have one without the other, having this polarity means that, like a pendulum, you will swing between fear and love all the time, trying to stop fear and increase love only serves to increase the force of the polarity - it's like taking the pendulum and trying to force it up higher towards the 'love' end - inevitably the 'fear' end becomes more shrouded and darker, at some point in your spiritual practice you need to let go of the pendulum, and it'll immediately swing to the other extreme of fear.

Using EFT - or shallow peat, you have some control over this pendulum swing - they take the tension out, the pendulum is lowered so that it's not swinging wildly or being held at either end, it's just in the middle, where you're not in a state of extreme love or fear. But the structure is still there - the actual polarity and the pendulum are still there, and inevitably at some point the pendulum will begin to swing again - ofcourse you can use eft again to control it - which is fine, unless you've got the goal of enlightenment or freedom in your sights, in which case manually controlling polarities will not do - you need to transform them...

So this is where Deep Peat comes in - it's done with a 'processor' that takes you through the process (it can't be done alone) - you start with some simple polarity and use some of the accupoints to increase the memory of it, the processor then guides you to neutralise the polarity - when I had it done, in a moment I realised that fear and love (as an example) are the very same thing - it's just a spectrum of one single thing (I realised it in my body rather than as a 'concept'), at that point I felt a profound sense of emptiness and what I could only describe as yuan chi...

after the first polarity is done, the processor guides you down a chain of polarities (each person's specific polarities and chain is different) you go through maybe 10 or 20 (or more) of such polarities, integrating/neutralising each one of them, untill you reach a polarity that carries a very heavy, powerfull charge (I felt a very strong energy and a lot of powerfull emotion) - this is the end of the chain - they call this last polarity your 'primes' - it's the polarity that underlies all other polarities and the main pendulum swing that has been controling your unconcious behaviour (over all your lifetimes - they claim) - once these guys are neutralised I felt an overwhelming sense of oneness, emptiness and freedom - there was a huge torrent of energy freed up. (the only comparable experience I've had was, funnily enough, on shrooms - but it was far more messy, and not as 'pure') It actually seems really similar to Kan and Li... but takes maximum 3 hours (mine took 2 hours, some people are done in 20 minutes) My life has not been the same ever since..

This is really the most powerfull thing I've experienced in terms of any spiritual/personal development technique or practice - I highly recomend it to anyone.

(sorry for the length of the post)

About the temporariness of EFT. Gary Craig et al say that most of the time the results are not temporary, if you tackle each and every tree in the forest of the issue you are dealing with, right?

From my own recent experience I know that starting with one physical symptom can take you pretty fast through a woodland walk where you're tapping ' my mother never understood who I am' ( for example)

Yes - if you go deeper and deeper you'll find more and more stuff to tap for - after a good (several hours) session you can feel very calm and complete (I used to do quite a lot of EFT!) - it's like all the pendulums have been slowed down, all the little tensions pulling you in different directions stop and you feel at ease... but in my experience (after over a year of heavy-duty tapping) the pendulums always start swinging again - and yes each time it becomes easier to reset them, and becoming concious of these tensions is a huge benefit...

You almost have to integrate your polarities - that's why they feel separate, that's why they cause joy/sadness because they're vying for your attention to be integrated - to make the act of love that completes them... so whether this happens through a process of getting to know your polarities over time, tapping for them and getting more concious of them, and they can piggy back on your energy cultivation practice to get resolved over the years or you go in with the specific intent of resolving/integrating them directly which takes very little time (perhaps it's too quick for many) - they have to complete themselves or they wont rest.

ofcourse after my Deep Peat experience I still have polarities, problems, fears and what not, but as Karen says the legs have been taken from under the table, and the problems have no structure supporting them, so it's quick and easy to clear them out... permenantly it's just that there are soooo many of them. (I actually love discovering 'problems' - it's like getting the opportunity to clear out another blockage, or finding out which direction you should be heading)

oh and here's a good link for information on Peat: http://www.achieve-your-potential.com/peat-articles.html

:blink: I'm calling in a shroom strike on my coordinates!!! :blink:

Imo, beliefs change slowly but can seem sudden like suddenly discovering that one is bald or something. Just my opinion, but the reason the boy was walking too close to a mean dog in the first place had something to do with a gradual shift in his belief structure about his neighbors, dogs, life, etc. But that's probably just me.

I think seeing polarities of this world in their context of the Tao is the goal of spiritual practice. My guess is that shrooms or Deep Peat can help, but the normal person will still likely need to meditate.

Re. baldness and other things, I highly recommend the movie V for Vendetta. Mostly for the way Natalie Portman's character portrayed letting go of fear. Of course we're not all Natalie Portman.. :)

About temporary vs. permament, I think we have to take a step back and understand what is the nature of the thing we're dealing with. You can take a drug to get rid of a cough, and then you may never have that kind of cough again. In that sense you could say it was a permanent cure. But where did the cough go? The cough was just a symptom of a deeper cause, and you can't cure symptoms. You want to be able to refer to a science that gives you the understanding of what the cough really is, what you're doing when you treat it a certain way, and whether you're actually cured or you've simply suppressed the symptom so it will reappear in another form later on.

When you shift things around without uprooting them at the causative level, then you can look at the surface of things and see all these symptoms going away and call it success. Well, if your intention was to make symptoms go away, then you've been successful at that. But you want to be aware of the limits of that. And that takes a higher perspective, to look at the bigger picture, the whole map of what all these various interventions and techniques are really doing.

EFT from Gary Craig's viewpoint is empirical, looking at symptoms or subjective results. So even if you could know that you've collapsed every leg of the table or tree in the forest, from a scientific point of view (in the true sense of the word) you still don't really know what you've accomplished. Have you gotten to the core issue that all those secondary issues were supporting, or is that seemingly core issue just another symptom of something even deeper? Then you need a map to see where you are.

Without putting this into the context of a spiritual science that can map this out, we don't really know the answer to that. All we know is that we feel better, or we have a profound experience of release and sometimes those life-altering insights that seem to burn up a lot of dross in one fell swoop. All this is valuable, but we're still working rather blindly if we don't have an overarching system for understanding this territory.

I think it really depends on what kinds of things you're dealing with, and how deeply rooted the various impingements are. I made strides with meditation and various hypnotherapy methods in past decades, and felt that I was moving quickly through heavy layers of confusion and suffering. I had many expansive experiences that seemed to be breakthroughs. And yet viewing this process over time, the undercurrent of my life was still despair, and that didn't change fundamentally for me until I was treated with medical Heilkunst.

So yeah, you can shift a lot of stuff and get sometimes brilliant results. But when it seems that there are sooo many issues, those might be the multitude of symptoms or multitude of different contexts that a particular disturbance is expressing. It's like someone you know might wear a different outfit every time you see them, but you can recognize them as the same person, and you don't have to get to know them all over again each time :).

If you're working on the underlying problem, then you don't have to address each individual symptom as it comes up. But again, that means identifying and treating these problems in terms of a system of spiritual science and not just empirically.

EFT is really meant to be a DIY method, and as such it gives people a whole lot of leverage, I think. Or Peat, or Core Transformation, or Holodynamics, or private hypnotherapy work, it's all good.. the urge to find THE best method comes from the intellect's attachment to outer forms of things. But if we focus on understanding the phenomenon beneath the multitude of outer forms, it's a lot less chaotic. Well, I should say, less unnecessarily chaotic, because there's a necessary zone of chaos that we all have to go through, hehe.

Freeform - did you get what you describe from a workshop in London, or one to one with someone?

one to one session over the phone! pm me I'll give you more details.