Sign in to follow this  
de_paradise

Being in "now" as cultivation method

Being in the "now", or keeping one's attention to the moment: not future, not past (and not on this forum, and what you would like to say in response to posts). There is a utility in dragging your mind to the future, then the past, then back to the present, and letting it rest, just like an artist applies lighter colors to highlight a dark color beside it, seems to work out better.

The method is pretty well known to everyone due to Eckart Tolle, but since Eckart was not an alchemist but just a spontaneous awakened individual who cross referenced his experience with writings of sages, he probably cannot comment on the experience of us in the trenches who make gradual progress.

What I've noticed is this ability to be present in the moment is contingent upon how much energy or prana you are conducting. Therefore, the more advanced you are in clearing your channels and chakras, the more energy you can conduct, the better your consciousness can sit still in the present.

Now anyone can put their attention on the present, but unless you are conducting energy there is a kind of grasping, a kind of painfulness involved, just like meditating while blocking thoughts causes a kind of pain. This doesnt stop new-agey people from advising to all to "just be in the now" They have likely had a taste of this larger consciouness being in the now, versus just a grasping to the now. Unfortunately they rarely mention that you have to have wide open channels and be conducting lots of energy for it to work out.

Meditation is a relatively easier way to acheive a "now" state because you can gradually increase your qi flow. In fact there really isnt much different from this and anapana "breath following" meditation except your attention is just slightly towards "staying in the now" and not "following breath" Some may find it easier, some may find it better to follow breath. I find it easier because one needs to loosen and let go as one's energy rises, (in the mind), you can't stay locked down, you have to loosen up as your conscious mind goes deeper, or that kind of mental pain will persist.

Thoughts come up in form of pictures, desires, plans, bits of conversation. The counteracting method that works is to "desire nothing" For example, a picture of some desire of a nice apartment by the sea comes up, and you can counteract it by simply thinking that you dont want it, that you want nothing.

In any case, if anyone wants to add to the conversation, feel free. This is not meant to be the pontification of an expert, just some practise notes.

• Like 4

Thanks for sharing these thoughts. Interesting considerations.

I also wonder how much we are in the Now without realizing it.. I guess that makes one slightly out of the now if they are not also aware that they are in the now.. according to some views.

There are practices for being in the now which demand a high level of concentration, like martial arts. I wonder if the same benefits of martial arts can be obtained by numerous other concentration inducing arts. The limitations of a wandering mind become far more apparent during combat or sparring, as well as during performance.

A major benefit of martial arts in this is that the focus is on the body and energy as well as the mind, and the energy, movement and mind of the sparring partner. In performance, this is also true, that there is intense focus on the body, the energy, and all these things in the other performers and even the audience.

Maybe most challenging situations demand hightened focus, but some incorporate focus on internal energy more than others.

I suppose the purpose of these is to build that focus.

It's kind of interesting and something that's been discussed recently, but what we're beginning to understand is that we're never consciously in the "now", everything that we do is in response to something that's already happened. Studies have shown that even before we think about responding to something our body is already sending nerve impulses in response to our action, so apparently there is a part of us that is aware of the now, which is why I say consciously. That isn't to say that we can't be in the now, in fact with meditation it is possible. I'm not sure if the differentiation between past and present is all that important, but some people think it is.

Perhaps the best thing we can do is to be consciously aware of the immediate?

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

It's kind of interesting and something that's been discussed recently, but what we're beginning to understand is that we're never consciously in the "now", everything that we do is in response to something that's already happened. Studies have shown that even before we think about responding to something our body is already sending nerve impulses in response to our action, so apparently there is a part of us that is aware of the now, which is why I say consciously. That isn't to say that we can't be in the now, in fact with meditation it is possible. I'm not sure if the differentiation between past and present is all that important, but some people think it is.

Perhaps the best thing we can do is to be consciously aware of the immediate?

Aaron

I don't think one can be consciously in the now. As soon as you become conscious of being in the now it's gone.

Past and present are descriptive - a way to put your life in perspective - language is conjugated - language interferes with now.

How do you personally differentiate between now and immediate. :)

Being in the "now", or keeping one's attention to the moment: not future, not past (and not on this forum, and what you would like to say in response to posts).

busted! :blush:

Good discussion. Sometimes I try to practice contemplation or cultivation "off the cushion" as it were, by calling attention to the Now as much as possible during work, routine daily life, etc. I usually have to try to force it with a simple mantra or reminder, unless I'm doing something that forces me into the flow (like really grooving at work, sex, intense video game, exercise, etc).

I typically try the "self-remembering" method described by Ouspensky and which is explained (a bit too elaborately) by Gurdjieff in his books. Just trying to stop the internal narrative and remember myself, notice that "I Am", etc.

Another method that I've screwed around with is the non-stop mantra/inquiry of HAIETMOBA ("how am I experiencing this moment of being alive?"), as described by Richard, the progenitor of Actual Freedom. This seems to be a super powerful technique, and I'm actually quite afraid of it. Stop over to the Dharma Overground forum and read some posts about AF, but prepare to be sucked down the rabbit-hole for at least hours if not days...

• Like 1

I don't think one can be consciously in the now. As soon as you become conscious of being in the now it's gone.

Past and present are descriptive - a way to put your life in perspective - language is conjugated - language interferes with now.

How do you personally differentiate between now and immediate. :)

You can be AWARE of the now, without consciously acknowledging it and in fact this is achieved in zazen and empty mind type meditation. The issue is, as you said, the mind has to have something to reference in order to be able to make a decision, yet obviously there is a part of us that decides an action before we consciously make that decision.

The distinction I make between now and immediate is that now refers to the present, immediate refers to consciously being aware of what is occurring around you currently, rather than focusing on the distant past or future. If one can do that, then they are effecting the now.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner
  • Like 1

Another method that I've screwed around with is the non-stop mantra/inquiry of HAIETMOBA ("how am I experiencing this moment of being alive?")...

Very nice idea!

It's possible to have concept-free awareness (past and future are conceptual only). Just a matter of recognizing it. It's not a big deal. Also, awareness of the world is always present moment...especially if it's enjoyable. Like surfing for instance (I can only imagine...oh crap, damn conceptual mind!).

I personally feel like it's more useful to develop the ability to think...to 'keep your wits about you'...but that's coming from someone who tends to just have nothing going on up there most of the time. The grass is always greener, so when people's monkey minds are jumping about all around me, I'm kind of out of the loop. A stone monkey. I can really relate to Lao Tzu's verse:

Give up learning, and put an end to your troubles.

Is there a difference between yes and no?

Is there a difference between good and evil?

Must I fear what others fear? What nonsence!

Other people are contented, enjoying the sacrificial feast of the ox.

In spring some go to the park, and climb the terrace,

But I alone am drifting not knowing where I am.

Like a new-born babe before it learns to smile,

I am alone, without a place to go.

Other have more than they need, but I alone have nothing.

I am a fool. Oh, yes! I am confused.

Other men are clear and bright,

But I alone am dim and weak.

Other men are sharp and clever,

But I alone am dull and stupid.

Oh, I drift like the waves of the sea.

Without direction, like the restless wind.

Everyone else is busy,

But I alone am aimless and depressed.

I am different.

I am nourished by the great mother.

...and of course I like the link in my signature...addding the soul nourishing elements to mindfulness is important.

I saw Eckhart Tolle live at UCLA 4 years ago. It wasa nice experience.

That said..I think that there is quite a difference between modern non dual teachers and Taoist Masters. I don't like to compare people but the Tao Master seems to just have a broader and more comprehensive understanding of awakening and can even initiate the process.

On the other hand, teachers like Tolle are great speakers. And express nicely what seems like the fruit of spiritual cultivation.

The "you don't need to do anything, be in the now always" is nice in theory. But modern people are plenty screwed up and we need lots of body/mind practice to get into that space.

Enter Tao, yoga, martial arts etc

Edited by Cameron
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this