dwai

Comfort food

Cooked some rejuvenating food for the family just now.

Moong dal (soup) and soft rice.

4 cups of moong dal (yellow) in half litre of water.

Boil the dal till it gets mushy, dont evaporate or doscard the water...it is very essential (start with high flame and simmer for last 15 minutes...add 1 tbl spoon pf clarified butter)

Moong dal cooks very fast...dal should be soft and mushy within 25-30 minutes.

In a small frying pan, add 2 tbl spoon of clarified butter (ghee) and melt it, heat it. Add a tea sp each of mustard seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and 4-5 dried red peppers. Add 1 tea sp of turmeric and 2 tea spoons of asafoetida. Once red peppers start changing color, immediately transfer into dal. Add salt to taste...add another spoon of ghee if you like. Bring the dal to a boil for another 5 minutes.

Cook rice in a sauce pan...2 cups of rice in 4 cups of water....let it cook till grains are long and soft. Drain the water.

Mix a half cup of rice with a bowl of dal....enjoy. :)

Thought I'd add in that in Ayurveda, people suffering from bad influenza, cold etc are recommended to eat simple food...fortified with turmeric and spices mentioned here (you could leave the mustard seeds out if you want). Moong dal is the easiest to digest and this diet is very easy for the digestive system, while at the same time being very nourishing.

Edited by dwai
  • Like 2

Cooked some rejuvenating food for the family just now.

Moong dal (soup) and soft rice.

4 cups of moong dal (yellow) in half litre of water.

Boil the dal till it gets mushy, dont evaporate or doscard the water...it is very essential (start with high flame and simmer for last 15 minutes...add 1 tbl spoon pf clarified butter)

Moong dal cooks very fast...dal should be soft and mushy within 25-30 minutes.

In a small frying pan, add 2 tbl spoon of clarified butter (ghee) and melt it, heat it. Add a tea sp each of mustard seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and 4-5 dried red peppers. Add 1 tea sp of turmeric and 2 tea spoons of asafoetida. Once red peppers start changing color, immediately transfer into dal. Add salt to taste...add another spoon of ghee if you like. Bring the dal to a boil for another 5 minutes.

Cook rice in a sauce pan...2 cups of rice in 4 cups of water....let it cook till grains are long and soft. Drain the water.

Mix a half cup of rice with a bowl of dal....enjoy. :)

Thought I'd add in that in Ayurveda, people suffering from bad influenza, cold etc are recommended to eat simple food...fortified with turmeric and spices mentioned here (you could leave the mustard seeds out if you want). Moong dal is the easiest to digest and this diet is very easy for the digestive system, while at the same time being very nourishing.

Sounds yummy. If I can make it to an Asian market, I may just give this a shot. I love Indian food by the way, and Indian soups are so yummy. (I got hooked on Indian food when I became a vegetarian many years ago.) Sigh... there used to be a great Indian restaurant about 15 minutes away from my old place, but I don't think there are any where I am at now, at least none I've found. I may have to start making my own Indian cuisine, starting with this soup.

Aaron

Sounds yummy. If I can make it to an Asian market, I may just give this a shot. I love Indian food by the way, and Indian soups are so yummy. (I got hooked on Indian food when I became a vegetarian many years ago.) Sigh... there used to be a great Indian restaurant about 15 minutes away from my old place, but I don't think there are any where I am at now, at least none I've found. I may have to start making my own Indian cuisine, starting with this soup.

Aaron

Aaron,

Indian restaurants aren't really great places to eat "healthy" food at :)

I get indigestion every time I eat at one (and yet I do from time to time for some reason or another)...its better to cook at home and eat.

dwai, love your recipe!

how about lightly stewed apple + cinnamon, and some raw honey added at the end, for dessert.

cinnamon very warming and cleansing, raw honey just great for healing.

( Of course I would probably add calvados, but that's just me..)

dwai, love your recipe!

how about lightly stewed apple + cinnamon, and some raw honey added at the end, for dessert.

cinnamon very warming and cleansing, raw honey just great for healing.

( Of course I would probably add calvados, but that's just me..)

Nice!

In typical indian recipes, cinnamon is a spice added to salty courses...it is heating and overuse can upset the stomach however...

Stewed apple pitted with cloves is a great detoxing breakfast too :)

Pretty off topic... but would like to ask you something about cinnamon if I may. I read the other day about a cancer killing remedy:

drop cinnamon bark oil

tsp cinnamon

tbsp raw honey

cancer loves sugar, so the cancer cells quickly absorb the sugar in the honey, but with it they take the super powerful cinnamon bark oil, which is antimicrobial, antifungal, antiviral, anti - everything, plus the cinnamon powder. As soon as the cinnamon gets in the cancer cells alongside the sugar, it kills what is feeding off it.

It has been found effective.

But do you think this is too tough for a persons digestive system, for any length of time? What would be the possible side effects.. too heating? Maybe counter it with aloe?

I'm interested. What is the pairing of cinnamon with salty about? Sounds delicious!

Pretty off topic... but would like to ask you something about cinnamon if I may. I read the other day about a cancer killing remedy:

drop cinnamon bark oil

tsp cinnamon

tbsp raw honey

cancer loves sugar, so the cancer cells quickly absorb the sugar in the honey, but with it they take the super powerful cinnamon bark oil, which is antimicrobial, antifungal, antiviral, anti - everything, plus the cinnamon powder. As soon as the cinnamon gets in the cancer cells alongside the sugar, it kills what is feeding off it.

It has been found effective.

But do you think this is too tough for a persons digestive system, for any length of time? What would be the possible side effects.. too heating? Maybe counter it with aloe?

I'm interested. What is the pairing of cinnamon with salty about? Sounds delicious!

Hi cat,

I would assume in those proportions it should be okay. Its an interesting approach for sure.

In indian recipes cinnamon is rarely used in powdered form except in what is called "garam" masala. Garam means hot....in that the mix of cinnamon, cardamom, clove (and two other spices.l.forget which).

What we often do with primarily main courses or rice dishes is add a half stick or so of cinnamon while cooking. We often add full cloves (3-4) too.

In desserts it is usually cardamom seeds, saffron, sometimes cloves.